sizing question for lvc 1947's

mr. shivers

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of different opinions here. I went with the Levi's experts (Paul T and airfrogusmc) and ordered a 32 (my true waist is 30), hoping that they shrink to around 29/30 and stretches about 1 inch. Hope I don't have to swim in them...

will you soak them before wearing?

what is you weight/height?

I'm 181cm. 5.11.

64 kg. 141 lbs

No idea what to expect for stretching.

I'm going to the levi's store, looking for a nice normal/slim fit.

So any advice would be appreciated . :)

will you soak them before wearing?

what is you weight/height?

I'm 181cm. 5.11.

64 kg. 141 lbs

No idea what to expect for stretching.

I'm going to the levi's store, looking for a nice normal/slim fit.

So any advice would be appreciated . :)

I'm 176 cm (5' 9" tall, and weigh 63 kg (138 lbs). I'm gonna soak them before wearing them. Maybe I'll post up some pictures here when I get them.

Good luck - I know we bear a heavy responsibility!

This lunchtime I was chatting to graham Marsh, the very cool ex (or is he?) mod who I did the book with. I always give my 47s a cold soak, which gets around 2/3 of the shrinking out of the way, then hot wash after six or seven months (there are plenty of photos knocking around here of the results). The way Graham's size falls, he needs more shrinking, so he gives them a really hot wash, rather than a soak, before wearing - his theory is that a hot wash early on 'fixes' them, and gives more shrinking than a hot wash later. It's not what I do, but the guy has been wearing STF Levi's for 40 years (although he's not as into the high-contrast look as I am).

hi guys. i want to buy a pair of pre-washed lvc 1947 501s made in japan. i would like the waist to measure around 32 after stretching. ive looked at the measurements online for this particular model: a tagged 32 waist actually measures 30, while a tagged 34 waist actually measures 31.5. how much should i expect pre-washed 1947 lvcs to stretch?

i know most people don't have experience with pre-washed lvcs, but the provided measurements look consistent with those of raw lvcs after a hot soak/wash, ie.- the consensus for raw lvcs is that they shirnk 2 inches in the waist when hot washed, and these seem to fit the bill. so if you own a pair of raw lvcs, i would still like to hear your thoughts on how much they stretch from their post-wash state. of course, if someone with experience on pre-washed lvcs could comment, that would be ideal.

im currently leaning towards getting a tagged 32 because im afraid that if i get the tagged 34 waist, it will stretch to about 33-34. that has happened to me before on other jeans, and they just tend to look sloppy. thoughts?

thanks in advance.

Quick reply: although it seems logical, don't look to the washed 1947 jeans for clues as to the raw ones, or vice versa; they're made in different factories, and quite possibly of different denim.

More info is on the 501 guide (which I've just updated): http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=34010

I've had a few pairs of prewashed LVC, and wouldn't say they stretch hugely, an inch max. But of course, jeans worn tight stretch more than jeans that ain't. Two inches of stretching, which you'd need from the tagged 32, seems a lot to me.

Hello,

I took advice from SuFu threads to size up 2"

My tailor measured me 29.5in (now 30.5in) and I can still fit well and fine around the waist on a 32x36

There are instructions for buying when you go to a LVC distributor. It says there, size up 2" around the waist and length.

I do feel that the LVC 1947 501XX are a bit tight around the thighs/ass. My thighs measure 56-57cm in circumference when I stand up (squats at the gym) and I have a very full bottom (as my tailor puts it).

Any advice on my next pair of jeans considering how tight these 1947s fit?

//end threadjack

In general, I'd say that while a second soak is fine, it won't shrink the jeans substantially beyond the first one.

If you want to shrink them to the max, give them a hot wash (as mentioned before, old mods might go for a 90 degree one).

In general, I'd say that while a second soak is fine, it won't shrink the jeans substantially beyond the first one.

If you want to shrink them to the max, give them a hot wash (as mentioned before, old mods might go for a 90 degree one).

Thanks for the tip, I will try that. There isn't any need to worry about indigo loss?

It's a question of priorities! Many if not most Japanese jeans have had one wash, and don't suffer much if any indigo loss. Turn the jeans inside out, and don't use any detergent. Presumably it's the agitation in the washing machine that gets water deeper into the fibres and helps more shrinking.

Or you can simply wear them a bit looser for the first six months.

I ordered a pair of LVC 1947's from Cultizm (blank top button) and they just came in today. They're tagged size 34w and I'm wondering what size they'll end up at post soak and at post stretch. I measured all the way around the inside of the waist of the jeans and it was indeed 34 inches raw.

To compare, I have a pair of recent regular 501 STF's that are tagged size 34w. I don't have pre soak or post soak measurements, but as they stand now after one soak and stretching, it's close to a 36 inches measuring all the way around the inside of the waist of the jeans. I'm assuming these are vanity tagged? Anyways, they fit a bit loose and thus lower than I'd like them to sit.

As far as the LVC 1947's, they fit pretty well raw where I'd wear them, but I can take them smaller if need be or even wear them higher. I actually have a decent amount of leeway in either direction. Do you think after a warm soak and then stretching out, they'll get back to their raw size, or smaller or bigger? To soak, I'm planning on wearing them in the tub, squatting the water out, and wearing them out to dry.

Not going to start wearing these or soak them for a few weeks at least, but I'll post some pics and measurements when I start them off.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope I'm not bumping up a more-or-less dead thread here.

I'm in Japan and going to be leaving this weekend, and before I leave I'm planning to pick up a new pair of jeans.

I've been looking at LVC and in particular the 1947 model as I seem to have slimmed down a bit here in Japan and thought I could fit it.

I'm usually a size 32 waist, here are the details of what I tried on:

- a size 32 tagged washed LVC 1947 was tight (on the slightly unbearable side)

- the size 32 tagged raw LVC 1947 was slightly loose around the waste

Should I jump up to the 33 or the 34 raw? I think the 34 might end up a bit loose - I want the post-wash measurements to be slightly slimmer in the waist than the 32 raw.

On the flip side a washed LVC 1966 fits fine.

This is all confusing, I thought a 34 shrinks to a 32 but the guys at the Levi's Stores are telling me 32 shrinks to 32. I don't know if this is a Japan LVC quirk or I am just completely confused. Maybe I'm going to go one-wash again :)

Cheers guys.

Hope I'm not bumping up a more-or-less dead thread here.

I'm in Japan and going to be leaving this weekend, and before I leave I'm planning to pick up a new pair of jeans.

I've been looking at LVC and in particular the 1947 model as I seem to have slimmed down a bit here in Japan and thought I could fit it.

I'm usually a size 32 waist, here are the details of what I tried on:

- a size 32 tagged washed LVC 1947 was tight (on the slightly unbearable side)

- the size 32 tagged raw LVC 1947 was slightly loose around the waste

Should I jump up to the 33 or the 34 raw? I think the 34 might end up a bit loose - I want the post-wash measurements to be slightly slimmer in the waist than the 32 raw.

On the flip side a washed LVC 1966 fits fine.

This is all confusing, I thought a 34 shrinks to a 32 but the guys at the Levi's Stores are telling me 32 shrinks to 32. I don't know if this is a Japan LVC quirk or I am just completely confused. Maybe I'm going to go one-wash again :)

Cheers guys.

I'm a 32 waist - when I bought my 1947s a few years ago (in the UK) I got them in a 34 and they fit perfectly (after a few soaks). I guess every LVC season has their own little quirks in terms of cut etc., but I would go with a 33 or 34.

Standard advice with the 1947 is to expect them to stretch to a max of one inch below tag size, allowing for stretching.

If there is an inch slack on the unshrunk pants you tried, you should be able to stick with that size if you like them tight around your ass and thighs; otherwise size up by an inch. In general, if you don't get a chance to try them on first, size up by two, as the 47s are made slightly undersized, especially in comparison with other LVC, which are made slightly oversized. (This might change from spring 2009, as new factories produce LVC).

34inchwaist.jpg

• 1 month later...

after reading through this thread i am still slightly confused...

I am a 32 x 34 in a regular 501XX STF. I'd say it's a perfect fit. If I would like to see the same amount of "comfort" with 1947, should I go for 33? I also wear 31 in APC NS, and it's not very slim.

and also, I am planning to get the Made in Japan 1947. Will there be a significant difference in quality or sizing?

and lastly, where can I get a pair of Levi's 501 1947 in Toronto? or perhaps in Canada online?

after reading through this thread i am still slightly confused...

I am a 32 x 34 in a regular 501XX STF. I'd say it's a perfect fit. If I would like to see the same amount of "comfort" with 1947, should I go for 33? I also wear 31 in APC NS, and it's not very slim.

and also, I am planning to get the Made in Japan 1947. Will there be a significant difference in quality or sizing?

and lastly, where can I get a pair of Levi's 501 1947 in Toronto? or perhaps in Canada online?

I have both the U.S and Japan made LVC 47's. In my experience the Japanese denim is different from the U.S denim, It's a much looser weave and feels a touch heavier with a rougher texture. As for shrinkage the Japanese denim seems to contract the full 2" whereas the U.S made 47's seem to vary from season to season, the 2008's seem to only shrink an inch in the waist.

Personally I think the detailing is better on the Japanese 47's, but prefer the denim on the U.S version.

oh, so i guess if i am looking for a better quality in the denim, perhaps the USA version is a better choice?

Yes ( for all the problems with LVC, Cone denim is the best option for 40, 50s or 60s Levi's replicas).

But get them now, so you have the Taylor Togs-made jeans. A new US factory is producing them this year, which could mean teething problems, or that the sizing will change.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

LVC from s/s 09 are made true to size, rather than undersized. This means you can now get away with sizing up by one inch, or buying actual size if you like a slimmer fit.

TO check which year your 1947s are made, look in the interior tag. These will have a code, like 0306, meaning March 06, or s/s 06. The recent, accurately sized jeans will most likely have a 233M code on the fly button, or on the inner tag.

I have only seen the jeans made in even sizes when looking in Levis stores, and they only seem to carry length 34. Maybe they don't realize people like to cuff. I believe Cultizm carries even and odd sizes and also longer inseams as well.

Pic of my 47s (233mM Oct 2008) these are sized up . I take a 34 waist but these are a W36 L34 . They have only ever been warm soaked so still some shrinkage left . On seeing the pic they are looser than I thought .Since my plan to purchase 501zxx has bee scuppered I may buy a W34 L32 and see what they fit like .

14thjune024.jpg