SuperAlienation...Anyone else feel this sometimes?

dry the rain

like i said, your sentiment makes perfect sense(and i am sure that threadstarter contemplated this), but his situation obviously bother's him and he is looking for support/or for members with similar situations on superfuture.com. call me crazy, but i was under the impression that superfure is very fashion conscious/foward.

i find your view (universally by biblical standards)correct, but overly romantic almost too the point of naive. you seem like a good guy, but to be honest i don't give a shit about the frat kids or typical abercrombie consumer. at least some people on this forum recognize quality, vision, and can garment- filter. i can somewhat respect that. what i cannot respect is the force-fed consumer that buys into the obvious media industry standard and then have the ignorace/gall to actually ridcule one (i think) who has more consumer sofistication than them.

I totally agree with you here. I think the media does play a very poor role in fashion today and makes fashionable men out as being some sort of different sexuality. Some day, it will alll change, slowly but surely.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this not the same, alienating someone because of what they wear?

nah man, totally different ballgame. we are talking about a species known as "bros". they often have a whole mindset and behavior that goes along with what they wear (A&F uniform aka bastardized polo/WASP)... you can't deny this!! I avoid these people at all cost because I know I'll just end up overhearing an incredibly boring conversation about shit I don't care about

I totally agree with you here. I think the media does play a very poor role in fashion today and makes fashionable men out as being some sort of different sexuality. Some day, it will alll change, slowly but surely.

wishful thinking. the industry versus the media situation will change, but new "problems" (for the sake of this context's argument) will arise running paralell(or obviously a tad behind) to that of new fringe fashion/new movements. the cycle will continue and even though it may not be palatable for some... i feel that is is necessary.

wishful thinking. the industry versus the media situation will change, but new "problems" (for the sake of this context's argument) will arise running paralell(or obviously a tad behind) to that of new fringe fashion/new movements. the cycle will continue and even though it may not be palatable for some... i feel that is is necessary.

I agree with you. mass-produced goods will only sell in large numbers if they are popular to the masses.

back in high school when i first started wearing slimmer clothing i got a tooooon of shit from people. Thing is it was a super small school so i already knew the majority of the people. Anyways, lots of people thought i was gay (im straight) for a while but eventually people just stopped caring and admitting that my style fit me more than the typical gangsta azn style. For fun i wore baggy clothes for a day and everyone hated it.

you know, your mention of 'typical gangsta azn style' just reminded me...in a way i am kinda alienated from that sector of the population, seems asians here dress like they're either exactly that (probably some baggy north face jacket, school or asian frat hoodie, baggy light blue jeans, timbs) or the typical 'mall' asian style (i can't put my finger on it...but it looks like they just walked out of 'Better Luck Tomorrow'), i definitely stand out a bit.

you know, your mention of 'typical gangsta azn style' just reminded me...in a way i am kinda alienated from that sector of the population, seems asians here dress like they're either exactly that (probably some baggy north face jacket, school or asian frat hoodie, baggy light blue jeans, timbs) or the typical 'mall' asian style (i can't put my finger on it...but it looks like they just walked out of 'Better Luck Tomorrow'), i definitely stand out a bit.

For me growing up in LA, this was the stereotypical Asian style:

AZN style: size 1 clippered fade + spikes, heavy gel, baggy jeans with initial belt, baggy top, fleece hoody (Polo, Nautica, etc).

"GQ-BR" style: Same stupid fade, replace baggy jeans with baggy/bootcut jeans/chinos, bland grey sweater plus black jacket all bought from Structure and/or BR.

I absoultely hated that "Azn" style. Seemed so fake.

On a flip note, I remember one Fall after I came back from Japan, back when pastel/pink polos, striped shirts, etc. was in vogue, I wore a pink Lacoste polo to class for college. I can't remember how many times I got questioned about how "fruity" the shirt was. Next thing you know, everybody and their mom was rocking pastel polos and every label from A&F to Gap had one. Same with casual blazers...

To the original poster: Just get outta New Orleans and move to NY, LA, London, Paris, Tokyo, etc. There's a reason why New Orleans doesn't hold a fashion week.

wow...i'm surprised by how fast this has moved. ok, to get a couple things clear:

My roommate and best friend in the city wears polo and button-up shirts with seven jeans and diesel shoes, and i could care less. He's a good guy and a good friend. when i'm hating on the whole A&F/ tulane uniform thing, i'll admit i'm confusing terms a bit. like someone said, we're dealing with "bros" here. there's a whole big bag of other personality traits that go along with their uniform. and whereas my roommate is quite open about what other people wear and largely non-judgmental, these guys aren't. in fact, even he calls 'em A&F assholes sometimes.

so yeah, i'll admit i do feel alienated from/by these people it's more how i dress than how they dress.

goldengloves: i can totally feel where you're coming from. i'm all about mutual respect, but it's got to be mutual. i wasn't being at all disrespectful towards those guys, and they were gossiping/judging. but in general, i agree with you. it can't alway work, but it'd be nice if it did.

fade to black: the weather here is actually pretty rough. soupy and fucking hot in the summer/most of fall/most of spring. coldish and rainy as hell in the winter. the kids here...well, some of 'em are great. a lot of em are spoiled brats. i don't know anything about mich, so i couldn't compare the two.

jmatsu: thanks for the words of support. and for being (possibly somewhat harshly) realistic. it's good of ya.

ghostdeini: i'm so glad you recognized the exact kind of people i'm talking about, and why i don't particularly like them.

wit of the staircase: i take it you go to tulane? what year are you? oh, and i definitely am not walking around in hugely cuffed nudies. calis and corpus lately, like i said.

sidney, double d, any others: thanks guys. it's good to see peole at least understand where i'm coming from.

selegna: though you were kind of snarky about it, moving to a big city is a good idea. it's what i'm doing after i graduate in may. you were snarky though, so: no need to be like that man.

djrajio: you made the same point as selegna without being nasty about it, so i appreciate it a lot more. thanks.

thanks everyone. i'm feeling much less alienated in general now.

haha funny cuz the college uniform you described prety much fits 90% of students at UWashington too. Except, once in awhile I run into someone who dresses similar to me. For example, yesterday i was walking around in my Sling and Stones and some random dude tapped my shoulders and said he liked them, turns out hes a Sufu'er. Come out wherever yo are!

I dress completely differently here at school than I do at home. Its just a weird backwards pittsburgh thing. For years they're male fashion icon was the angriest man in football Bill Cowher. Every now and then I wear something a little more fashion forward, but I try not to for a few reasons. One, I kinda like to blend in. It makes meeting and talking to people easier and they don't have as many automatic assumptions about you. Two, I spend most of my time in bars and I hate when my nicer clothes reek of booze and smoke. Three, I don't want to get mugged. Walking through the neighborhoods I walk through, I would rather look like just another average broke guy.

I dress completely differently here at school than I do at home. Its just a weird backwards pittsburgh thing. For years they're male fashion icon was the angriest man in football Bill Cowher. Every now and then I wear something a little more fashion forward, but I try not to for a few reasons. One, I kinda like to blend in. It makes meeting and talking to people easier and they don't have as many automatic assumptions about you. Two, I spend most of my time in bars and I hate when my nicer clothes reek of booze and smoke. Three, I don't want to get mugged. Walking through the neighborhoods I walk through, I would rather look like just another average broke guy.

you are a closet fashionista.

i hope so. are you devoted to clothing? do you follow the movements of the industry?

haha...i guess i am then.

i dunno i never liked having the label 'fashionista' applied to me, or the word in general...when i think fashionista i think 'fashion victim' who dresses poorly and tackily and spends wayyyy too much time coordinating outfits.

but if the only requirement is following seasons and what not, then i guess the shoe fits. *hangs head in shame*

haha...i guess i am then.

i dunno i never liked having the label 'fashionista' applied to me, or the word in general...when i think fashionista i think 'fashion victim' who dresses poorly and tackily and spends wayyyy too much time coordinating outfits.

but if the only requirement is following seasons and what not, then i guess the shoe fits. *hangs head in shame*

you don't have to feel that way. the term fashionista probably(and unjustly) has modern day negative connotations, because it was used too liberally by people (bitter bastards and probably "bros") with little understanding of it's origins.

a good comparision is panerai admirers who refer/are referred to as "paneristi."

nothin wrong with sayin what's up to a fellow net-head...dude's probably happy to find a kindred soul.

Yeah man... look at how well the SFSE party turned out! It was weird at first... but damn we're all closer for it. Which is why I'm saying we shoud all come out to a Sufu meet up at least once. :)

I have a different problem from you guys I go to fashion school and I don't fit in because I'm not fashionable enough. My style is very minimal, apc jeans, m65, blank tee in black or grey, and a blank hoodie. Its more about the cut/fit/material for me then a flashy gucci or D&G label and that singles me out.

My style is very minimal, apc jeans, m65, blank tee in black or grey, and a blank hoodie. Its more about the cut/fit/material for me then a flashy gucci or D&G label and that singles me out.

Sounds dope to me. I hope you don't mean those international students and their outfits made of five different endangered species. That shit is DEAD wrong.

No most of our int. sudents are asian and some of them where awesome japanese clothes (undercover, Y3, Junya Watanabe, etc) I'm more refering to the "omg look at my super cute fendi, gucci, italian bag of the week its just like mary kates" girls.

Then we have the Japanese exchange students and they are straight out of one of those japanese fashion mags, which i love. they wear the sickest shit ive ever seen in my life.

Thats EXACTLY what I was thinking back when I first got to uni 10 years ago. The Jexchange students had the dopest stuff by far. Back like `98 made me want and research Japanese brands for the first time. That plus picking up a few Street Jack mags from the Japanese bookstore turned me on to Bathing Ape, W)taps, Supreme, Porter, Goodenough etc. After I made friends with a few people it was hookup city. I suggest you do the same. Join the College`s Japan Club or something.