Organic denim wear?

Roflcopterpwnsyou

Hey everyone, I'm a big fan of Nudie Jeans and one of their new designs the Even Steven will soon be released in regular dry and organic dry denim. I'm debating on getting the two but can't tell which to get! The mynudies forum is of no use for my question which is, does anyone have photos of organic denim after fading? I assume it looks like grey cast so either of the photos would be great so I could make my decision! Thanks!

I have 2 organic jeans from howies and both seem to wear very nicely, one is selvedge and woven in japan, dunno about the other. I cant imagine that organic cotton is that different though. It might be better quality only as a coincidence of having to be sourced more thoroughly, but I bet you can buy naff organic cotton and good organic cotton, just like everything else.

I assume we're talking about the difference between natural versus synthetic indigo? I can't imagine that there'd be much difference between organic natural and non-organic natural indigo (ie: no pesticides etc versus chemical fertilizers)

EDIT: love to see some pix of those natural indigo even stevens

I had read somewhere (I believe on mynudies) that the organic denim fades less than the synthetic. I think I'll probably purchase the organic because I have a pair of jeans from Ruehl with a similar tone and I really love the wash. And pics of the organic ES would be great!

I assume we're talking about the difference between natural versus synthetic indigo? I can't imagine that there'd be much difference between organic natural and non-organic natural indigo (ie: no pesticides etc versus chemical fertilizers)

EDIT: love to see some pix of those natural indigo even stevens

I believe we're talking about organic/non-organic cotton.

I had read somewhere (I believe on mynudies) that the organic denim fades less than the synthetic. I think I'll probably purchase the organic because I have a pair of jeans from Ruehl with a similar tone and I really love the wash. And pics of the organic ES would be great!

Are you sure the indigo is natural and not synthetic? I haven't seen that. I know there was talk that the Levi's Eco used vegetable dye, i didn't find out if that was true either. I presumed, I could be wrong, the Even Steven denim simply uses cotton that is grown organically. It would be cool if they used unbleached cotton, which gives a great look.

Organic indigo is actually more durable then synthetic, atleast what sience says... Don't know how much it effects fade but I don't think there's an Uber big difference...

Organic indigo is actually more durable then synthetic, atleast what sience says... Don't know how much it effects fade but I don't think there's an Uber big difference...

A common misnomer natural indigo is not any more durable than synthetic, the main difference is that those that use natural will use more labour intensive dying techniques and produce a high quality denim. (ie hand rope dying, more dips, etc...)

Science says that on a chemical analysis there is zero difference between natural indigo and synthetic indigo that being said any difference then must come from the dying process itself.

A common misnomer natural indigo is not any more durable than synthetic, the main difference is that those that use natural will use more labour intensive dying techniques and produce a high quality denim. (ie hand rope dying, more dips, etc...)

Science says that on a chemical analysis there is zero difference between natural indigo and synthetic indigo that being said any difference then must come from the dying process itself.

Hrm I'm not so sure about that. It depends on how processed your indigo is. In other words, I grow a bunch of indigo:

300px-Indigoplant.jpg

yay! pretty flowers... Anyways:

If I just crush the flowers and stick them into some acetone and extract the color you're gonna get whatever the hell ended up in the pot: various organic chemicals etc (I'm assuming here that acetone would be a good solvent because it is for most things). Whereas if I do all kinds of treatments and chemically extract JUST the thing I want I will end up with a compound that is almost identical to synthetic indigo...

I believe we're talking about organic/non-organic cotton.

Thats what I thought, but he actually asked for opinions on organic "denim". Either way I cant imagine there being much difference between organic cotton or non organic cotton OR organic indigo / natural indigo / synthetic. There are so many other factors that could affect fade. Loom its woven on, weave tension, type of weave, the nature of it etc etc etc.

Im under the impression natural and synthetic indigos behave exactly the same ( like the organic or not cottons ) its just if something is dyed with natural indigo its more likely to have gone through a more laborious ( "better" ) process, because I guess its worth doing justice to a more costly material by puttin it through more costly and labourious processes to get a great product. I guess the same would go for cotton.

Hrm I'm not so sure about that. It depends on how processed your indigo is. In other words, I grow a bunch of indigo:

300px-Indigoplant.jpg

yay! pretty flowers... Anyways:

If I just crush the flowers and stick them into some acetone and extract the color you're gonna get whatever the hell ended up in the pot: various organic chemicals etc (I'm assuming here that acetone would be a good solvent because it is for most things). Whereas if I do all kinds of treatments and chemically extract JUST the thing I want I will end up with a compound that is almost identical to synthetic indigo...

Are you agreeing with me or telling me that natural indigo is inferior because it has a great chance of containing unwanted impurities? Also does not indigo need to be fermented before extraction? I read a lengthy article on the process and it seemed very labour and chemical intensive regardless of it supposedly being a natural process.

You would not get the same indigo used for dying by putting your plants in acetone, the process of creating natural indigo is quite a bit more complicated than that.

ps I like your flowers. :D

Are you agreeing with me or telling me that natural indigo is inferior because it has a great chance of containing unwanted impurities? Also does not indigo need to be fermented before extraction? I read a lengthy article on the process and it seemed very labour and chemical intensive regardless of it supposedly being a natural process.

You would not get the same indigo used for dying by putting your plants in acetone, the process of creating natural indigo is quite a bit more complicated than that.

ps I like your flowers. :D

Didnt mean to disagree with you, I was just saying:

1) "organic" indigo would be a subset of "natural" indigo. IE: You can have natural indigo dye that comes from plants that are grown organically OR not organically

2) The quality and type of indigo produced from plants may vary a lot in terms of quality and fading behavior on the basis of where the plants are grown and how they're processed into dye with the end product being anywhere from very complex chemically to extremely pure and not terribly different from synthetic indigo.

For more on natural v synthetic indigo, look here.

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=11213

All that said, not sure that this discussion has anything to do with the organic Even Steven. I seriously doubt they use organic indigo, and I'm not convinced they use natural indigo, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

Yeah oops a bit off topic. In regards to the Even Steven I am pretty sure they are referring to organically grown cotton and regular synthetic indigo. The cut looks nice I like the sounds of a slimmed down, straightened out ralf, but not crazy style like slim kim. Maybe I'll go try a pair on.