new bloc party

poly800rock

For the most part England said what I wanted (but didn't know how) to say.

My friend lent mean the album before I went out to buy it and he did warn me about they being a slight change in direction towards a more mainstream/pop rock sound.

Having listening to it throughly I have to say that I didn't really see it as a change in direction more an evolution of the sound (no that it not just a nice way of saying the same thing).

In terms of the lyrics I thought to a large extent they were improved on the first album and was surprised at the level of direct social commentry. I admit 'Hunting For Witches' and 'Uniform' could probably apply to any time but if you have lived in the UK over the past twelve months they umm... don't know how to put this..

Example: "The Daily Mails say's the enemy's among us." Firstly this probably has a lot more resonance if you live in the UK because you understand the place The Daily Mail has in our society (it's the tabloid equivalent for the right wing middle class) and you'll have experienced the vast surge in migrant workers to our shores etc. It's not nessecarily specific to all those events but it's more powerful to those who've lived through those events.

I 'Uniform' was a brave subject to tackle because they have risked alienating memebers of their own fanbase but I suppose those kids don't realise they're the subject of disdain (or they just don't listen to the words..).

Put it this way, I think it is still an album with worldwide appeal but there is a level of Britishness (there has to be a better word for that) to it that you might have to live here to fully appreciate.

(I can't stand Muse though, sorry England).

Good points.

I understand that some people do not like Muse's music, as I was a skeptic at first as well. It wasn't until I went to see them live that I understood their following. They have been named by several music publications amongst the top 5 live bands of all time. Matthew Bellamy really is an insanely talented musician. The guy plays Beethoven-worthy piano whilst playing insane solos on his guitar and singing his ass off......it is a spectacle.

Good points.

I understand that some people do not like Muse's music, as I was a skeptic at first as well. It wasn't until I went to see them live that I understood their following. They have been named by several music publications amongst the top 5 live bands of all time. Matthew Bellamy really is an insanely talented musician. The guy plays Beethoven-worthy piano whilst playing insane solos on his guitar and singing his ass off......it is a spectacle.

Fair play, they're good at what they do, I'm just not into it you know.

• 6 months later...

Silent Alarm was excellent but when I listen to Weekend it just feels as though there is such an absence of soul and emotion in the entire record.

I saw them a while ago and it was ok, but they didn't have half as much on stage energy as I would have expected. I'd go again, but only if the venue was decent.