SSDS/RRDS like fit/slimness in a Japanese denim?

rainmaker

I think the subject line pretty much says it all-- I'd love to find something that fits in terms of slimness, similarly to the RRDS or SSDS; preferably in a straight leg. I've researched the S5000VX and SDA103 and I think they're not for me, they seem to be a little fuller cut than what I want. Can anyone do me the favor of pointing me in the right direction?

Edit: Should add that Slim Jim level slimness is too slim, thanks.

alittle picky are we. i would suggest PBJ xx-005's but...im thinking maybe thats even slimmer than slim jims.

Haha, sorry if I sound a little picky. Attribute it to my poor student-ness, so I want to get things right. Nudie is the only good denim that I can try on locally, even something like APC isn't in stores around here.

i have SSDS in japanese selvage and i have a pair of SD-103's on the way via supermarket. the measurements are pretty close with the seat and bottom cuff being about an inch to an inch and a half shorter after a hot soak on the SD-103's. when i was doing my research i used these pics to compare fits, color etc. i went with SDA's ultimately bc i like the darker 'dingier' color of SDA's compared to the bright blue of Sammies, plus i got a really good deal on the SDA's.

Studio d'Artisan SD-103's -- i think these are Geowu, Lowrey, and i can't rem'ber the last one but it was recently in WAYWT (SDA's are on the right)

sd01dy5rz7.th.jpg sd01dy5rz7.th.jpg

sda08hg3.th.jpg

img1007bh4pv3.th.jpg

Sammy S5000VX -- Braidkid, not sure,

sammies001dl9.th.jpgsammies002ee7.th.jpg

samaraisv0500x2hw6.th.jpgsamaraisv0500xlg8.th.jpg

i have a pair of both slim jims and pbj xx005s, and they're that similar id say. both are a size 30, and id say the pbjs are looser in the waist, slimmer in the thighs, and slightly baggier below the knee.

if you're looking for something similar to the SS or RR, i would definitely recommend against the xx005s, as i dont really think they're similar. the pbjs are a lower rise, and run very slim through the thighs.

i have SSDS in japanese selvage and i have a pair of SD-103's on the way via supermarket. the measurements are pretty close with the seat and bottom cuff being about an inch to an inch and a half shorter after a hot soak on the SD-103's. when i was doing my research i used these pics to compare fits, color etc. i went with SDA's ultimately bc i like the darker 'dingier' color of SDA's compared to the bright blue of Sammies, plus i got a really good deal on the SDA's.

-snip pictures-

Dude, you are my hero. So your SSDS and SD-103's are in the same waist size? Do you mean that the seat (and cuff) are both an inch smaller than on the SSDS?

Dude, you are my hero. So your SSDS and SD-103's are in the same waist size? Do you mean that the seat (and cuff) are both an inch smaller than on the SSDS?

these are the measurements the guy gave me that i bought them off of. they are actually sitting in my mailbox in houston so when i get them i'll measure them again and see what they are.

SD-103's in size 33 after soaking

Waist... 32" (they are going to be tight but i'm expecting them to stretch, however long it may be -- i actually think its give or take an inch bc i'm not sure how he measured them)

Inseam... 35"

Thigh... 12"

Knee... 9"

Leg opening... 8.5"

i gather from reading other sd-103 measurements that the front rise is between 10-10.5 inches and the back rise is between 14-15 inches -- which is pretty damn close to an SSDS

these are the measurements the guy gave me that i bought them off of. they are actually sitting in my mailbox in houston so when i get them i'll measure them again and see what they are.

Waist... 32" (they are going to be tight but i'm expecting them to stretch, however long it may be -- i actually think its give or take an inch bc i'm not sure how he measured them)

Inseam... 35"

Thigh... 12"

Knee... 9"

Leg opening... 8.5"

i gather from reading other sd-103 measurements that the front rise is between 10-10.5 inches and the back rise is between 14-15 inches -- which is pretty damn close to an SSDS

In the same size, SDA 103s fit fuller through the thighs and hips. Also, both the front and back rise are about a 1/2" lower on the SSDS, a sighificant difference, especially at smaller sizes. Also, there is a slight taper to the hem from the knee to the hem on the SDAs, while the SSDS are a true straightleg from the knee. Moreover, the back pockets of the SDA 103s are placed considerably higher, and the front pockets do not have the dropped design of Nudies, so the visual effects of the two models are considerably different.

I have the SSDS in 33 and I got the 103's in 32 and they were def. too small but I think the 33's will be perfect so my guess is go the same size. I also have the PBJ's and think like another poster you may not want the fullness in the lower leg. FWIW after a couple hours in BIG trying stuff on the SDA's were my favorite. I got the D1002's and liked them so much I ordered the 103's.

Thanks for all the great advice from everyone.

I would say the 5000VX or 5000BK might be what you're looking for.

I first thought I wanted the S5000VX, but it ended up sounding fuller cut than I first thought. DJ Flame, can you briefly compare it to the SSDS/RRDS?

Inseam... 35"

Thigh... 12"

Knee... 9"

Leg opening... 8.5"

It sounds like a 30w or.. 29w worn wet to dry might very well be in my very near future.

I may be wrong but comparing measurements, Samurai S0500XX seem similar to SSDS. Except for a higher rise and slight taper from knee to hem.

I'm definitely not looking for a higher rise, thanks though.

In the same size, SDA 103s fit fuller through the thighs and hips. Also, both the front and back rise are about a 1/2" lower on the SSDS, a sighificant difference, especially at smaller sizes. Also, there is a slight taper to the hem from the knee to the hem on the SDAs, while the SSDS are a true straightleg from the knee. Moreover, the back pockets of the SDA 103s are placed considerably higher, and the front pockets do not have the dropped design of Nudies, so the visual effects of the two models are considerably different.

Wow, thanks for the detailed info. While I do like the dropped back pockets of Nudies, SDA 103's are sounding pretty sweet. I've never done a taper before though, not sure if it works for my body type. But if it's a slight taper..

I've also been looking for a pair of japanese denim with a cut similar to the SSDS, and besides the SD 103s, I've been eyeing Fullcount 1108s, and Flat Head 3008s. I haven't really compared measurements yet (planning to do so later this year) but from fit pictures, the three pairs I've been eyeing seem fairly similar to SSDS.

Compared to SSDS, I think the Fullcount 1108s and Flat Head 3008s have a higher rise and are slightly fuller all the way down but they are definitely not as full cut as S5000VX / S5000BK.

Take a look at these pictures and measurements, and let me know what you think:

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/bears/theflathead-3008/

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/bears/fullcount-1108/

• 5 months later...