raw leather belt

fadingblue

i was reading the "redmoon wallet ripoff" thread and it sorta got me curious so did some googling (minimal, but i did it) and i came across this site:

http://www.leatherfactory.com/index.asp

i want to order a raw leather belt strap and get a vintage buckle off ebay and maybe tan it with the stuff they sell in the website, idk, overall it would be pretty cheap, no more than 30 dls probably, for everything

what do you guys think?

I actually wanted to do the same thing. I have a number of vintage buckles that I want to use. I wanted to go to:

http://www.leathergoodsconnection.com/handmadebelts.html

because they had belts in 1 3/4" and not the usual 1 1/2". I still might.

Good to know. I'm still leaning towards LGC because they offer harness leather. Unless I just wasn't looking at the Tandy website (I wasn't looking that hard).

Do blank belts mean that there aren't any holes, though?

idk, but these:

http://www.leatherfactory.com/products.asp?dept=21

come pre perforated (for the buckle) and with the snaps already in, so i guess all you need to do is trim it to the desired length and get the holes punched

i think i might order the 1.5" one and maybe oil it like the dude in the "redmoon ripoff" thread, now all i have to do is find a decent vintage buckle, as all my current buckles are from guess and the like (theyre my brothers, but i guess i can wear them)

here, i found a decent looking buckle:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANHEUSER-BUSCH-BUDWEISER-VINTAGE-BELT-BUCKLES_W0QQitemZ140069602982QQihZ004QQcategoryZ15661QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

wat do u think?

so, I found a piece of raw leather for a belt here at home.. and found one of my moms old buckles.. punched a few buttons in the belt, made some holes and gave it some good ol' leather grease... and voila 30 minute raw leather belt wonder.. will post pictures later... camera is recharging

If anyone is interested...

When I inquired about keeping a belt raw to let it to "break in" to the (well-informed) guy from Leather Goods Connection, this is what he replied:

"I know what the buzz is and for the most part is uninformed and even stupid. Hand stained and finished leather will change with use and become unique to each individual and have a nice broken in leathery look. Without some sealer or wax on it it will absorb all sorts of things, dye, dirt, oil, food, etc. Unstained and unfinished will change also and have a nice, dirty, ugly, pulled from a dumpster look. If leather isn't tanned it isn't leather, it's just a skin that will rot and attract flies. Pass that information on to your friends at style forum, superfuture or nudies."

If anyone is interested...

When I inquired about keeping a belt raw to let it to "break in" to the (well-informed) guy from Leather Goods Connection, this is what he replied:

"I know what the buzz is and for the most part is uninformed and even stupid. Hand stained and finished leather will change with use and become unique to each individual and have a nice broken in leathery look. Without some sealer or wax on it it will absorb all sorts of things, dye, dirt, oil, food, etc. Unstained and unfinished will change also and have a nice, dirty, ugly, pulled from a dumpster look. If leather isn't tanned it isn't leather, it's just a skin that will rot and attract flies. Pass that information on to your friends at style forum, superfuture or nudies."

okay, so i've been meaning to post something similar to what this guy said so help clear up leather terminology...here's a few things i can add....

The biggest misconception about leather is what "tanned" really means. like the dude said, if it isn't tanned it isn't leather. With belts, what people most commonly refer to as "untanned" is really just "unstained". All leather used for belts, bags, etc. is tanned.

I've recieved a lot of questions about the natural, raw-looking belts we make....these are in fact tanned, but we don't apply any dyes to them so that they retain that natural look. We do, however, apply a wax to both sides and all edges of the belt, enabling it to age with time and wear, but not pick up a lot of indigo and grease and grime. The result over time is a natural colored belt that will darken and turn a more "golden" color in areas of heavy distressing.

Now, there are two sides to the belt - the unfinished inside and the finished outside. After the wax is applied, we polish the edges and inside to smooth the rough texture a bit, and give the belt a better 'hand' to it. The great thing about the wax is that you can still use leather dye and treat the belt if you wish - there's countless colors to choose from if a natural look is not what you're after. I personally prefer the natural color because the variation over time is more pronounced.

hope this helps to clarify some....

• 3 weeks later...