riveting jeans

fndmybetterhalf

I just got a Rivet gun from Craftsman (Sears) and some rivets and aluminum washers.

Works perfect if you can deal with Aluminum Rivets. I have not located or attempted to locate copper rivets yet. I'm fairly stoked with the cheap Aluminum rivets as they serve their purpose and are about 1$ for 40 of them.

go to Seattle Fabrics on 85th and aurora, they sell everything you need to make your own pair of pants - kite - sail - jacket - back packs - etc.. they even have stock patterns and how to books. they have rivet nails and rivets, also buttons - you can hand set the rivets by poking a hole through the denim - put the nail through the hole, and then hammer the rivet and nail together - - - - hope this helps peace in the middle east;

Tandy Leather sells copper burr rivets and a handsetting tool, which you really need to lock the burr down onto the rivet. If you just pound the rivet down with a hammer, it will look okay, but the burr won't be seated down tightly. Tandy's website sucks - I would recommend just calling them. Compleat Sculptor sells chemicals that can age copper and other metals, assuming you want to do something like that. As for buttons, I've had luck at places like Steinloff and Stoller around the garment district in NYC - I'm sure if you search around, you can find an online source or a local source (you're in luck: http://www.steinlaufandstoller.com - look under dritz metal goods). Also, I noticed in another post you were asking about possible selvage denim at Joann fabrics. If I were you, I'd first get a very good pair of jeans and analyze them to the smallest detail. Then I'd get some cheaper jeans, like just some 501's or something, take a seam ripper and careful take them apart. You're also going to need to figure out how to do a chainstitch. Somebody told me they thought Singer sold a consumer model that had a chainstitch feature - I haven't confirmed this, but if that's true, that's an option much cheaper than getting a Union Special. Good luck with your project.

• 1 year later...

hey guys,

I'm trying to find a good source for custom designed buttons and rivets.

I've contacted a few companies but they all have super high min. orders.

like 30,000

this seems pretty ridiculous to me, so I was wondering if anyone new of a better way to go about that?

I'm trying to start a denim line in MPLS.

thanks for your help