Digital SLRs?

nairb49

truth for so many things. i have a ricoh grd -- amazing camera. fixed lens.. when i tell people that they are suddenly like wtf?!?! but in all honesty ive only wished for a zoom like maybe 1-2 times out of the thousands of shots it has taken.

totally agree with you

my friends like to give me the same impression. WTF? you bought a camera with no zoom? then i just go like how often do you use zoom in your point and shoot? they all just go oh yeah.. true...

Hi, I've been saving up for a while to get a good camera (I'm in high school), and am looking for something that can take proffessional-level pictures, size is no matter. I did look through the other photography/camera threads around sufu, but couldn't pin down an answer. From the photography thread it seems people like th nikon d40 and cannon 400d? Reviews I've seen generally are positive for these, as well as pictures taken. I'm a total retard when it comes to technology and don't know where to start, so that was my basis. I'm also ignorant as to how different effects (motion capture, low light, etc.) are affected by lense type.

As for budget, around 500 would be ideal, including good lens to start with (once I'm working more I can afford better ones) unless there's something much better for cheaper. Exceptions are fine of course if there's something really good.

thanks in advance.

check out the pentax k100 or k101 really good cameras for the price, and pentax is putting out some sick lense's right now(weather proofing and what have you)

check out ebay though, you never know when you'll score something amazing fo' cheap.

well if 500, is your budget including a lens, you dont have the greatest field of options. my top 3 for your budget would be the 3 entry dslr's from canon, nikon, and pentax. as stated above, xt prices are, and will be dropping even more because they are discontinued and the XSi has just been announced. the d40 is a great camera, so is the k100d. do your own research and find out what camera is best for you.

+1 on check ebay, i got my 400d body for $350.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have experience with the Samsung NV15 ?? I know its not about DSLR, but im looking for a simple camera thats light and thin.. (also since i never had a camera, wanna play around first)

I also have looked at the Canon G7.. (Huge difference i know) is it suitable for a novice like me? and whats a good price for it... ?

check out the pentax k100 or k101 really good cameras for the price, and pentax is putting out some sick lense's right now(weather proofing and what have you)

I was just gonna say go for the K100D Super. It's gonna get super cheap in the next couple of months, because of the fact that Pentax decided that the K100 was out of date and it was time to update to the K200. I use it and the pictures are very good. Check out the photo thread to see the results of usage.

I'm going to be buying my first dSLR soon and only have $800 to spend on the body. I know I won't be upgrading the body any time soon, probably at least 2 years.

After going to a camera store to look at some of the entry and mid range models, I decided I liked the feel of the D80 the best, over the D40, XTi and Sony A100. I liked the 40D even better though it's out of my price range. I know I could get a 30D in used condition for the same price as a new D80, but I don't know how it compares to the 40D.

Would I be better off buying a used 30D (~10,000 clicks) or a new D80?

I'm going to be buying my first dSLR soon and only have $800 to spend on the body. I know I won't be upgrading the body any time soon, probably at least 2 years.

After going to a camera store to look at some of the entry and mid range models, I decided I liked the feel of the D80 the best, over the D40, XTi and Sony A100. I liked the 40D even better though it's out of my price range. I know I could get a 30D in used condition for the same price as a new D80, but I don't know how it compares to the 40D.

Would I be better off buying a used 30D (~10,000 clicks) or a new D80?

save up for the 40D or wait for the 450D. I would generally recommend the D80 but it's pretty dated now and the 450D should be cheaper and a better camera overall. Wireless flash is nice but the price difference can buy you an extra flash and more.

save up for the 40D or wait for the 450D. I would generally recommend the D80 but it's pretty dated now and the 450D should be cheaper and a better camera overall. Wireless flash is nice but the price difference can buy you an extra flash and more.

no d80? oooh, I was thinking about buying one very soon.

is there a replacement from nikon coming in soon? what are my other options? when is the 450D arriving and how does it compare?

ta.

i will probably be buying a nikon d40x or canon xti within the next week or so. i need a better camera for the photo class i am in. if anyone has any advice or different opinions of what to get lemme know. keep in mind i am poor college man and paying for it out of my own very small pocket. thankssss

I would say Xti, because thats what Im using now. the D40x has 3 point AF compared to the Xti's 9. umm... D40x does not support battery grip(I think), the xti can be shot in jpeg+raw format.

I usually shoot in AF mode and on the XTi, you can choose if you want to over/under expose the shot after selecting your aperture size. I'm not sure if the D40x has this feature, but it wasent there on the d70

You eventually have to look at the lenses each brand has to offer as well

to be honest, the xti is a fantastic SLR.

I bought a 40D because I didn't plan on upgrading a body anytime soon, but to be honest, I think the xti's image quality is very similiar to pricier models. Unless you really need the faster fps/live view/extra features, stick with the xti and invest in lenses.

I know that everyone recommends it (lenses > body) but it wasn't until I actually spent all my money on a 40D that I realized that I should have bought an xti and invested in better glass.

why is the 450D cheaper than the 40D?

Quoted from elsewhere:

anw, 450D is an entry level dSLR

while the 40D is a semi-pro dSLR.

40D (should) have better noise control

ISO100-3200 in 1/3 stops. (vs 100-1600 in 1-stop interval)

bigger and better grip (vs small grip)

magnesium alloy body (vs plastic in 450D)

6.5fps burst rate (vs 3.5fps)

supports sRAW format (vs no sRAW, only RAW, jpeg)

bigger and brighter VF - 0.95x (vs 0.87x)

all 9 pts cross type AF (vs only center AF pt is cross type)

max shutter speed: 1/8000s (vs 1/4000s)

X-sync: 1/250s (vs 1/200s)

dust and weather sealed in 40D. (vs no sealing)

has more custom functions: 24 (vs 13)

Nikon D60 is in stock at some shops... still trying to decide between that and the XSi... can anyone give me some opinions? the only feature that's swaying me towards the Canon is the 9 point auto-focus. does 9 points versus 3 points really matter all that much? i've handled the D40 and the XTi, and I like the feel of the Nikon better... So I've basically made up my mind for the D40 but I'm still not positive. Little help? Thanks.

thinking about trading in/selling my 300D and upgrading to a 450D - anyone done this? i assume that there is an appreciable difference, but would it be worth the price difference?

actually, i have no idea what a used 300D would go for... anyone have an estimate?

can anyone recommend a good photography forum to learn about dslr options and eventually about actual photography?

also, does anyone have any thoughts on the new D60 vs. the D40?

check out photo.net they're great with helping, just make sure you search before posting bc they get pissed about that stuff