ID my Levi's

whodini

(Copy up on the other SF,too)

I recently purchased some "raw" Levi's off ebay. They looked different, the seller said they had some stretch in them (something I've been looking for in a replacement pair for traveling since that thread way back when regarding stretch jeans), and they were only about $20.

The seller has close to 200 positive feedbacks and he's not selling 400 pairs of Levi's from Thailand so I'm going to assume the following story he told me is true:

"as for the history of the jeans, well, here goes:

my favorite pair of jeans from when i was a teen were an amazing pair of levis. after moving to new york, i became friends with a guy who worked at levis san francisco. i told him about these jeans i loved and how weird they were and the identifying information about them. he spent a few weeks working with the archivist from levis, and this jean was the closest jean they could find in the archives. and, he shipped them to me. so, they're direct from the levi's archive."

Things I found interesting:

-No rivets

-Leather patch

-Light brown Levi's tag (small "e")

-Leg creases front and back

-65/35 Cotton-Poly blend

I guess I'm just posting this to see if anyone's seen anything like these or know more about them. Enjoy.

Pics:

cimg0349bd5.th.jpgcimg0350rf5.th.jpgcimg0352bu1.th.jpgcimg0353ef3.th.jpgcimg0354hi1.th.jpgcimg0355wj5.th.jpg

Fascinating jeans. I'm sure they have to be fake, although I don't know the model on which they're based. Little E jeans like this would never have leather 2 horse labels - and this sort of leather label is like that found on a lot of far Eastern fakes. But full marks to the manufacturers for imagination....

Hey Paul - These may not be fake - Look similar to the garbage Levis used to pass off in Canada as authentic. 'Leather' labels were common in Canada on orange tabs, as well as some red-tabs. I have a pair of both. The red tabs were 505s and made in france(Awsome jeans - would love to get another pair) and the orange tabs 619s

Authentic Levis, but different than the usual ones available in the US.

ive seen many jeans like this in thrift stores here... im guessing its a western wear branch of levis... sold in places like feed shops and the like.

in my thift experience, ive seen many many types... brown tabs, white tabs, leather tabs, red tabs with gold letters on acid washed jeans, and more. ive seen many different types of patches too, leather, fake leather, paper, cloth.

i think these are real, but nothing special... or special because no one else besides old farmers and migrant workers have them.

Hey Paul - These may not be fake - Look similar to the garbage Levis used to pass off in Canada as authentic. 'Leather' labels were common in Canada on orange tabs, as well as some red-tabs. I have a pair of both. The red tabs were 505s and made in france(Awsome jeans - would love to get another pair) and the orange tabs 619s

Thanks for the added info. I got a hold of the email for the Levi's historian that someone on the other SF used to authenticate a pair of his and have already contacted her. I'll update to see where this goes.

cmf, if that's true about the migrant workers then I'm sure Blueblood will be knocking on my door any minute now to buy them off me so they can turn a $400 profit.

Hey Paul - These may not be fake - Look similar to the garbage Levis used to pass off in Canada as authentic. 'Leather' labels were common in Canada on orange tabs, as well as some red-tabs. I have a pair of both.

Ha! I stand corrected. I haven't seen those Canadian orange tags. I guess that that leather patch is the one that inspired lots of Levi's counterfeits. And I do think they look cool in a polyester kind of way, I have a similar pair of Wranglers sitting at the bottom of a closet.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess I never posted an update here, only on the SF...

This is the email I got back from the Levi's historian:

"You have a pair of "Action" jeans in stretch denim from 1999. So they

are definitely Levi's jeans from the U.S.

Hope that helps."

Good to know they're 517's though. Awesome.

yeah, they sell these at cheap stores like Zellers, Wal-Mart or Sears for not much more than 20 bucks if i remember well...