Denim in Tokyo

jf30

Ok guys im going to Tokyo for the first time and i need some reccomenations on some stores to hit up with some japanese denim like samurai's. If you could go to only one store in Tokyo to buy denim which one would it be (include address?). sorry i diddnt put this in the super jet set forum i thought i could get some better responses in this forum.

If you're short on time, you should go to Ueno. There's both Americaya and Hinoya which are probably the two biggest denim stores. I prefer Americaya myself, Hinoya is too croweded. If you're after brands like Skull or PBJ they both have their stores in Harajuku. If you're really short on time, send me a PM and I can try to show you around because you will probably get lost by yourself, which is normal and fun but annoying if you're in town for a day or so...

• 1 month later...
Are there any stores in Ueno that sell SDA? Probably going in Feb, hoping there are still lovely denim then.

are you from styleforum? i answered the same question there, americaya sells SDA. keep in mind, hinoya and americaya are talked about b/c they're the bigger ones, there are tons of small shops carrying all different things down there...there wasn't one brand i didn't see

if you have some $$$ to blow off, visit badou R stores in aoyama. they stock some of the best offerings of 45RPM.

http://www.45rpm.jp/shop/cms/contents.aspx?contents=48&Language=English

im pretty sure they have a buzz rickson in june if you arent looking for a particulary small or large size. the weather during that period is heavy with rain, so be sure to take good care of it if you happen to get leather goods.

First off, forget addresses...the address system in Japan in ass-backwards, and knowing the address of a store will not help you. On the other hand, Japanese folks are very helpful once they figure out what you're looking for (and unless you speak Japanese, that can be tricky) and will draw maps for you. And the superfuture maps are crucial. My advice is to be open to brands you may not have heard of. I'm partial to Denime because they offer a number of different fit specs - they have several stores around Tokyo, but I usually just hit up the Denime in Men's Isetan in Shinjuku, which is on the superfuture maps. I also dig UES in Daikanyama...it's in an alley behind Hollywood Ranch Market. I also like Pherrow's Stormy Blues, which you can get at OT+E, which is one of my favorite stores in Harajuku. Ueno is cool, but I've never scored there, and I think a lot of the stuff is factory seconds, but I could be wrong. If I could only go to one store, I guess it'd be OT+E, but why would you go to Tokyo and go to only one store? Shopping is like a sport there. If you have flexibility and aren't locked into your travel plans yet, think about Osaka - Osaka is off the hook for denim and denim related stuff. And all the good stuff is a one mile radius area in Shinsaibashi.

really, you'd go to OT+E if only one store? their selection is ok at best..staff is very friendly (but isn't that pretty universal in japan?) curious as to why OT+E?

They just have all the brands I like: Pherrow's Stormy Blue, Warehouse, Flathead, Dubbleworks t-shirts, plus a bunch of other stuff I dig like good repro belt buckles from studded belts, good jackets, etc. I always end up dropping a bundle there, and actually wearing the hell out of the stuff when I get back to the states instead of eBaying it (those items that look bananas in Japan, then ya get back and wonder why you bought it). There's another store near there called Smart that has pretty much the same stuff that I like a lot, too.

are you from styleforum? i answered the same question there, americaya sells SDA. keep in mind, hinoya and americaya are talked about b/c they're the bigger ones, there are tons of small shops carrying all different things down there...there wasn't one brand i didn't see

Hey poly, it was me who asked in styleforum. When I read seatiger's response (without looking at the name) I asked myself "did I post in SuFu too? But then I looked at the name and it confirmed my belief that I only asked in styleforum. Weird how he asked the exact same question with very similar wording.

My question from styleforum:

Also, where could I find SDA's in Tokyo? Everyone talks about canes and sammies in Ueno, but no one mentions SDA's. I'm hoping/planning on going in March. Hopefully the new patch and arcuate will look good.
seatiger's:
Are there any stores in Ueno that sell SDA? Probably going in Feb, hoping there are still lovely denim then.

im pretty sure they have a buzz rickson in june if you arent looking for a particulary small or large size. the weather during that period is heavy with rain, so be sure to take good care of it if you happen to get leather goods.

sorry to throw this thread a little off-track, but I have one last question regarding the BR jackets. I noticed most of the flight jackets they offer have a very short back and an elasticized wool cuff around the waist... should I size up and have slightly baggier sleeves as a result to avoid this "pinching" effect on my silhouette? I've seen pictures of japanese store models wearing them, but they're wearing baggy jeans so it looks really, really weird with such a short jacket.

sorry to throw this thread a little off-track, but I have one last question regarding the BR jackets. I noticed most of the flight jackets they offer have a very short back and an elasticized wool cuff around the waist... should I size up and have slightly baggier sleeves as a result to avoid this "pinching" effect on my silhouette? I've seen pictures of japanese store models wearing them, but they're wearing baggy jeans so it looks really, really weird with such a short jacket.

from what i have seen, these do run a bit short in length compared to the genuine military models. i would guess they have been stardarized for japanese build as you can see below, the regular is what basically most BR jacket would fit where long models are closer to the genuine ones

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/vari/br1118002/

this is the only model that feature the"long" versions, so you probably have to compromise like you mentioned. they do have a wide range of sizes up to XXL(about XL in the US).