Denim disertation

seenmy

Ok im writing my final year disertation on denim and its ever presence in style,Im just starting to put pen to paper after doing a fair bit of research(although im not much of a writer)Basically if anyone on here has read any good essays on denim online or in any books or magazines it would be a really great help so i can make sure im not just writing a 1 dimensional view,

my first chapter is just going to be covering a brief history/introduction to denim how it originated to the fabric and items we now live in.

in the rest of the essay I am going o be looking at denims pressence in subcultural style and then i am to go on and look at the idea of incorperation possibly doing a study on evis as the way they have gone from being a niche jp label to now they are all over the world and there image seems to really have been cheapened through it.

so yea if anyones read anything they think might be around these subjects it would be a great help if you could post it up,or a link to where i can find it.thanks in advance.

yea that was my first piece of background reading great introduction,I just trying to find ou if theres been much more written on the subject,ive got the big levis book they put out as a limited edidion a while back aswell.

just kinda hoping some people on here might have come across or even written some essays on the subject.

This is not to be mean, but...

By the time someone is ready to write a dissertation, they ought to be able to spell it. Moreover, you would have the basic research skills to dig out the more scholarly works.

Again, I am not trying to be snide, just honest and direct. And, when you have a draft underway, I would be among the many here quite willing to offer critical commentary. That, too, is part of the disseration process. Now, get crackin'.

yea apologies on spelling im dyslexic and not a grand typist,Ive done a fair bit of ground reading really this post was about digging bits outthat may not have been published etc or just even the odd discussion from here that a longer member on here than me might have remembered that could be relevant.

once i get to the interesting bits i deffinatly put up some drafts for some extra critique as it will deffinatly be useful.

Ah, yes. Well and good. I'm grateful you did not take offense, as I meant none. Scholarship, however, is to be taken seriously. Good luck. We await with baited breath, eh?

i would engage the services of a public or university librarian. they have expertise in searching journal databases and large catalogs

it's mad, they can pull up thousands of obscure sources on "watchtower" images in literature. i'm sure they would have a field day on "denim".

also, not to be rude, but i'd assume for a final graduate level paper, which is to be published usually, superfuture isnt the best source of serious scholarly research.

if this is an undergrad paper its a little different, but still, the library, not the internet is the best source for research. as was said above, the research librarians are amazing and most people don't take advantage of them so they love to help.

a couple things from google scholar (a great tool for research in general, but you often have to have access to the databases they link you to through your uni). i just copied and pasted the citation info provided.

American Denim: Blue Jeans and Their Multiple Layers of Meaning

B Gordon - 1991) Dress and Popular Culture. Bowling Green State …, 1991

Indigo dyeing of cotton denim yarn: correlating theory with practice

JN Etters - Journal of the Society of Dyers and Colourists, 1993 - csa.com

Denim and Jeans: Trends in Eu Production and Trade

R Stogdon - EIU Textile Outlook International, 1996

Denim: from Cowboys to Catwalks

G Marsh, P Trynka - 2002 - Arum Press, London, UK

hmmmm....there's a lot of scholarly information out there on denim relating to lasers and i think it's also the name for some computer program. good luck man!

i hope for your sake you don't reference either of these in your essay. They are by no means credible and I would think any professor would recognize this.

You'd be surprised. This semester, one of my professors REQUIRED that we integrate 3 non-scholarly websites in our research paper.

...I don't get it.

You'd be surprised. This semester, one of my professors REQUIRED that we integrate 3 non-scholarly websites in our research paper.

...I don't get it.

that's really really strange.

but anyway, one of my friends, a TA for a zoology lab was grading lab reports and one of the groups cited "American Cheerleader Magazine"...you know...a highly reputable and extremely scientific journal...

but anyway, one of my friends, a TA for a zoology lab was grading lab reports and one of the groups cited "American Cheerleader Magazine"...you know...a highly reputable and extremely scientific journal...

Especially in zoology! :D

• 3 years later...