Venting

Ahlvahroe

I am really fucking pissed. a couple of months ago, i got my dad a pair of '66 lvc, from my perspective it was an awesome gift. my dad told me that when he was young his family was so financially instable that his dream had always been to own a pair of levis. a few years ago i got him a pair of regular 501s and he just seemed incredibly happy, so i thought it would be great to get him a pair from his youth, that he never got and he appeared to enjoy them. my dad is a bit short so the 36 in. inseam is too much, but i told him that they will shrink so wash before hemming them; my mom has a sewing machine so she usually does it but i told her as well, afew times. i get home today and i see a bit over 7 inches of cutoff cuff by the machine, and see him wearing these pants at his exact length. i asked my mom if she washed and she said she forgot. i dont know much about lvc but unless they shrink less than nudies, they're fucked.

sorry if this belongs in trash, but it seems about right

Guest StuckOnStupid
I am really fucking pissed. a couple of months ago, i got my dad a pair of '66 lvc, from my perspective it was an awesome gift. my dad told me that when he was young his family was so financially instable that his dream had always been to own a pair of levis. a few years ago i got him a pair of regular 501s and he just seemed incredibly happy, so i thought it would be great to get him a pair from his youth, that he never got and he appeared to enjoy them. my dad is a bit short so the 36 in. inseam is too much, but i told him that they will shrink so wash before hemming them; my mom has a sewing machine so she usually does it but i told her as well, afew times. i get home today and i see a bit over 7 inches of cutoff cuff by the machine, and see him wearing these pants at his exact length. i asked my mom if she washed and she said she forgot. i dont know much about lvc but unless they shrink less than nudies, they're fucked.

sorry if this belongs in trash, but it seems about right

yo word is bond son you should probly punch your mother right in the fuckin face for basically ruining your fathers childhood all over again.

None of those suggestions will work for shrink to fit (unsanforized denim). The shrinking will occur and it will shrink about 2-3 inchess in length. There is no way you are going to stretch the jeans another 2-3 inches with bar bells or tugging. That will work for a couple centimeters at most. Dry cleaning is the only way to keep the length.

when giving a gift, the giver shouldnt give something he personally cherishes that the receiver won't appreciate. if he was happy with regular levis, no need to go spend on top notch repros.

my dad played basketball in college and i love sneakers, and he could never afford nice ones, but if i was to buy him a pair of Chucks from 1971, i doubt he'd appreciate them much.

don't throw them away!

believe it or not, especially the 66s look really cool, imo, worn short without socks with simple slip-ons or sandals. i don't have any pics with me right now, but it's kind of a retro-surfer look. if anybody has access to denim style book volume one, the owner of denime is rocking a pair of short vintage 66 in an interview and i think it's a dope, summery look.

just a possibility.

it was a nice fucking thought.

you're right, it was a nice thought. i was more saying (and probably not conveying it well), that often, gifts that mean a lot to the giver go unappreciated and lead to situations like this.

it was a very nice thought and shows that you wanted to make your dad happy, which is important.

i do feel better now that i have cleared my mind. also i know that i should not care as much because they are a gift so they are not mine to do with. also chickens post about not throwing them away made me laugh, cause why would i throw away someone elses pants

None of those suggestions will work for shrink to fit (unsanforized denim). The shrinking will occur and it will shrink about 2-3 inchess in length. There is no way you are going to stretch the jeans another 2-3 inches with bar bells or tugging. That will work for a couple centimeters at most. Dry cleaning is the only way to keep the length.

I disagree. I do it to a pair of Skinners, that by the way they shrank could not have been sanforized. While wet, I fold them in half grab them around the crotch area and step on the hem and pull with both arms as if I were doing curls. They stretch about 2 1/2 inches. They gradually lose their stretch within a couple of minutes, but if I do it 3-4 times while still damp they'll keep about two inches. I suspect, with more effort, they would retain 3 inches.