Skincare recommendations

2000dB

Hey guys, I basically do not get acne anymore but I have acne scars and blemishes from when I was younger. What's a good way of dealing with these?

if you're referring to red marks left from acne (hyperpigmentation), you can try:

- retinoids (tazorac, retin-a, retin-a micro)

- AHA products (e.g silk naturals 8% toner)

- vitamin C serums (many swear by DIY)

- chemical peels (e.g MUAC's TCA peel)

- niacinamide products (e.g eltaMD uv clear)

if you're olive skinned or darker, it might take longer to fade them marks as compared to fair caucasian skin. remember to keep sunscreen on to avoid the darkening of your red marks.

if you're talking about pitted scars, you might want to look into fraxel, dermarolling, co2 lasers.

Edited by flyordie

• 2 weeks later...

if you're referring to red marks left from acne (hyperpigmentation), you can try:

- retinoids (tazorac, retin-a, retin-a micro)

- AHA products (e.g silk naturals 8% toner)

- vitamin C serums (many swear by DIY)

- chemical peels (e.g MUAC's TCA peel)

- niacinamide products (e.g eltaMD uv clear)

if you're olive skinned or darker, it might take longer to fade them marks as compared to fair caucasian skin. remember to keep sunscreen on to avoid the darkening of your red marks.

if you're talking about pitted scars, you might want to look into fraxel, dermarolling, co2 lasers.

Just to piggy back on what was mentioned before.

-Retinoids (take time but definitley help)

-Hydroquinone (Use for the most 3 months then take a 3 month break)

-Sun screen (Atleast SPF 30. I use cerave because its non oily, scented, and non comedogenic)

If all else fails seek microdermabrasion, chemical peels, or laser treatment depending on your skin.

Definitley go see a dermatologist if you can.

• 3 months later...

What do products do you guys recommend for a daily routine (face wash/scrub, moisturizer, etc) for semi-oily skin with occasional pimples.

I'll be honest, I tried a ton of stuff for this over the years.  A lot of really expensive brands too.  Face wash, tea tree oil, masks... You name it.  All were hit or miss for me and I probably wasted $300 total in 5 years trying to solve my breakout problem.

Finally found 2 products that just work:

-Freeman brand masks.  Ironically way cheaper than other masks I tried but shit do they work.  Once a day.

-And this shit

https://www.etsy.com/listing/96950865/facial-soap-for-oily-skin-all-natural?ref=shop_home_active_7

Keep it in the shower and use it only on the face.  It's magic I swear.  I spent years using all these acidic face washes that burned the hell out of my face.  Never again man.

I started checking all of my facial and makeup products through Cosdna before I buy them. It takes the ingredient list and highlights any ingredients that are comedogenic or cause irritation and rates them 0-5. It was really eye opening/disturbing to go through what I used every day. 

I switched over to super simple products without fragrance that I researched the hell out of -- and my skin is finally pretty awesome. None of it is very expensive. 

Cleanser: Neutrogena I Ultra Gentle Daily Cleanser 

Toner: Thayers I Alcohol-Free Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner

Moisturizer: Mineral Oil (at night) 

Sunscreen: Badger I SPF 30 Aloe Sunscreen Lotion 

AHA: Olay I Regenerist Night Resurfacing Elixir 
BHA: Paula's Choice I Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant  

Spot Treatment: Zinc Oxide Cream 

Edited by timber

Haha, great to see that Aesop has quite a following over here! I am able to answer most if not all of the questions you guys have regarding its skincare line :)

a fellow employee?

i use aesop for everything currently:

for the face:

amazing face cleanser (twice daily)

bitter orange toner (twice daily)

oil free facial hydrating serum (twice daily) 

purifying facial exfoliate paste (twice a week)

for shaving:

moroccan shaving serum

for the body:

geranium body scrub

coriander seed body cleanser

petitgrain hydrating body gel

for the hair:

classic shampoo

classic conditioner 

I started checking all of my facial and makeup products through Cosdna before I buy them. It takes the ingredient list and highlights any ingredients that are comedogenic or cause irritation and rates them 0-5. It was really eye opening/disturbing to go through what I used every day. 

I switched over to super simple products without fragrance that I researched the hell out of -- and my skin is finally pretty awesome. None of it is very expensive. 

Cleanser: Neutrogena I Ultra Gentle Daily Cleanser 

Toner: Thayers I Alcohol-Free Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner

Moisturizer: Mineral Oil (at night) 

Sunscreen: Badger I SPF 30 Aloe Sunscreen Lotion 

AHA: Olay I Regenerist Night Resurfacing Elixir 

BHA: Paula's Choice I Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant  

Spot Treatment: Zinc Oxide Cream 

Does your sunscreen leave any white streaks? 

I use Paul Choice 2% BHA and cleanser at night with Aveeno daily moisturizer (SPF 15) during the day. Just three products.

Aveeno has a 4 under "acne" though...

I rarely get breakouts unless it is my poor diet or in-grown hair =\

edit:

if anyone has suggestions for a moisturizer with SPF lmk. TIA

Edited by gettoasty

Do I need all those products (aha, bha, etc)? I have normal/slightly oily skin with occasional acne.

Right now I just a cleanser daily, then use toner and moisturize in the mornings/nights.

After looking at cosdna I probably should change my cleanser and moisturizer

• 4 weeks later...

I second Jack, Aesop for anything. Besides that, I've had a lot of friends who have significantly eradicated any blemishes and oily skin just from eliminating dairy from their diet. 

I've been saying that since forever

Stopped dairy a long time ago and since been better. Improved a lot

did you stopped all dairy ? i stopped not so long ago but lately ive been still eating some cheese sometime, milk in cereals, etc.

kinda hard to stop 100%

did you stopped all dairy ? i stopped not so long ago but lately ive been still eating some cheese sometime, milk in cereals, etc.

kinda hard to stop 100%

I went dairy free 100% for two years, but then again I went raw vegan for 2 years so there was no choice in the matter. I stopped that a while ago and haven't had any problems with dairy, but it's not like I consume a great amount. I don't drink milk, but will occasionally have some Skyr or goats milk yogurt, sometimes have nice restaurant pizza, and don't really worry about wether something has dairy in its ingredients. I think a large part of peoples difficulties with diary comes from consuming milk as it's such a vast quantity of dairy thats full of hormones.  

It is hard to stop dairy especially if you eat with others. 

When I buy or prep my own food, it is 100% dairy and if possible also soy free. Been like this for 4+ years now. I'm just very careful with what I eat and always read the label. But with others, this can be bit of an annoyance. 

I actually just returned from visiting a friend. First, you'd be surprised what people in general think what food/products contain dairy and what does not. Bread crumbs? Yes. Burger buns? Yes. Since I was visiting and the meals were all prepared by the host, I sort of sucked it up and had a lot of dairy this weekend. Comes to a point where I don't want to be annoying and ungrateful. 

Personally, it is more self-control at first followed by the realization in keeping yourself healthy, both pphysically and mentally (since, for some, even the tiniest blemish can be distressing). 

Not to mention cutting dairy and it effecting social functions, dating, dining with friends etc. Generally, IME, people can be impatient. Oh well... this is something I'm still learning to cope with

Hmm, even when being raw vegan I didn't find it that difficult to do social outings and dinners. Literally every menu has salads that can be altered to raw vegan if they aren't already. Even going out to barbecues at friends houses I'd just be "curtious" and bring over a large salad so I'd have something to eat and others too could have some salad. 

Developed a persistent rash after having put on too much deodorant during a move on the hottest day of the year. Is my only recourse to let it run its course and have those around me suffer? (I tried baby powder for a while but the application isn't exactly seamless…)

Highly sensitive to scents, so most body sprays are out of the question.

Edited by TresUnCool

• 2 months later...

I gave the Aesop exfoliator a try for the past few days (using two small samples the woman gave me) and was actually extremely happy with how it worked (skin fells very soft). I'm a bit shaky on spending 35 pounds on the full tube though.

Can anyone weigh in on whether or not it's actually worth it or if I am paying for packaging and there are better, cheaper exfoliators (maybe chemical) on the market? I'm trying to fade scaring and I'm looking for the best product(s) to do so. 

I've heard good things about Clinique and Paula's Choice and may just end up giving one of those a try.