Bicyclettes

canice

just went to get fitted on the pista and mine should be in next week,had a good chat with guy instore who had just started riding one aswell,he recomended changing out to a smaller gear ratio as he said the stock one on the pista is hard on big hills,and advised probably switching to bull horns.im really looking forward to getting out on this

put some chopped risers on my rush hour, need to post photos!

just about to wear through the tire that came stock on my bike. time for new ones. should i get front and back, or am i cool on just a new back tire? anyone got any good recommendations? i want something hard and fast, i think.

what gearing is everyone running on their track bikes?

i am running 48-15 and don't know if i love it.

switch your front tire to the back and replace the front. saves money, since the front and rear never wear out equally.

i ride vittoria rubinos.

grabed the mks pedal set from bens bikes yesterday so hopefully will arrive this week ready for the arrival of the bike,eyeing up a leather brooks saddle to finish up the starting look of my pista

ahh.. i got that set on my pista too. If you get the one with the cinelli straps.. their gonna be too big to actually lace through the pedals. I took a razorblade and trimmed a thin strip off the sides and it works perfectly now.

Anyways, looks like I am going to be out of a car for a while, and I want to put a bike together for commuting. I guess I am going to pick up an old Pista off craigslist and try to fix it up a bit. Are there any ideas of ways I can make it feel a little bit more like my BMX? Maybe certain style of bars?

heres my plan for a heavy metal solution to this new skool keirin tour de fashion parade:

one 1999 dmr trailstar mk1 frame (horizontal dropouts), one custom 135mm fixed hub, one serving of tasty singletrack. equals mayhem.

awesome modikoso, that guy's website has a great pictoral on how to build a frame from start to finish.

i andrew, i have the same pedal setup and i forced the straps through with pliers (took me nearly 45 mins, they were so tight). I think I need to size down my cages too. Has anyone used minicages before? I would consider them if they stay on properly...

wow you actually got them through huh? crazy.. after trimming, i still had to use a needlenose to pull em through. Its nice now though cuz i don't have to worry about the strap moving!

is the length of the cage the issue? if you want them smaller you could mount them on the inside of the pedal, and throw a couple washers in there untill they are short enough.

lets talk bike locks?iv never had a decent bike to lock up so just wondering what everyone uses bits you lock to each other etc,basically minimising people nicking bits off bike.

I use one of these locks:

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1001&scid=1000&pid=1100

recommended by the folks at Orange 20. Before that, the guy at another bike shop had said basically "well - all locks can be broken easily, so just get a cheap one", so I also have a cable / combination type lock. I use this sometimes if I can't get the u-lock around anything.

The u-lock is pretty short, so I usually lock either the top of the frame (near the handlebars), or sometimes the rear wheel. Supposedly, the shorter ones are a little harder to pry open.

I try not to worry about it too much... maybe if my bike were worth insane amounts of money I'd worry about it more, but sometimes you have to trust humanity at least a little bit. I don't usually bother taking off my lights, locking my helmet, etc. etc.

I have a NY Krypto... the one with the huge fucking chain.

...my bike is more or less a beat up piece of shit too, probably only worth as much as the lock. =D

Also,

why aren't barspins done yet

They totally are, but as lots of dudes ride drop/chopped bars, you don't see them too often.

gdgd yea i think il get a d lock to start at the min its likely only to be locked up at the skatepark or outside a shop for 5 mins,not until i move to london to i really expect any1 to try nicking it,although i swear brighton is bike crime central

Not really sure if this is the correct place to be asking this, but can anyone help a beginner out? Not looking to get into fixies or anything, but just want to get a bike for recreation and some occasional commuting. I haven't really ridden a bike in the past 7-8 years, so I'm a bit rusty. The bike will probably see road as well as light trails. I would like to keep it in the $300-$400 range. Any input/suggestions?

Dang, you can hook up a Cayne Uno fixed/single speed for like $450 USD for everything if you can find em at your local bike shop.

If I had the Supreme chain I'd just take the sleeve off and put it on a Krypto chain.

Hype AND function!

NICE reminton... did you get that from stratton?

can't wait to see mash. should be fucking great.

as for a lock, if you want to protect what you've dumped money into, get a krypto chain and a mini. mini up front on the wheel/frame and the chain through the triangle and rear wheel. i wouldn't use anything else unless i was in a small town.