Bicyclettes

canice

Im looking for a cheaper fixed gear bike for around the 500cdn price range that will get me to my classes.

Found 2 so far, should my biggest concern be the frame and whther its made of chromoly or not?

Which should i go for? A schwinn chicago fixed or a fiori? Or maybe i should invest my cash on something else?

hassle? i'd get the miches over the messengers anyday

The Miche uses ISO square taper, so my options are limited, either I get a Miche BB or spend $$$ on a Campagnolo BB. I heard the Miche gets loose often because of the adjustable cups, so yeah tough time deciding if it's worth the hassle tightening BB every 2 months or so.

Im looking for a cheaper fixed gear bike for around the 500cdn price range that will get me to my classes.

Found 2 so far, should my biggest concern be the frame and whther its made of chromoly or not?

Which should i go for? A schwinn chicago fixed or a fiori? Or maybe i should invest my cash on something else?

Does this mean you're set on a conversion? Maybe the bike market where you live isn't great, but for that much you should be able to find a decent used bike with track dropouts. To answer your question: I would make sure the rear wheel has a track hub (cog and lockring, no suicide hubs), make sure the frame fits, no cottered cranks, and tube set (ChroMo is good. Hi-Ten not so much).

i know nothing of fixed but chromoly frames are pretty frickin heavy so if you need to carry your ride up and down stairs be advised

personally i like the roadfeel of a chromoly frame, probably best to do some test riding to figure out your preferences.

about helmets - i think some of you may have misunderstood me. my point is that - since they're already a write-off, fashion-wise, if you're going to wear one all the time (which you should), your sole focus should be on functionality.

^ I think you're a bit mixed up. If he's looking for a moderately priced steel bike, Chromoly is the way to go particularly if the tubing is double butted. His only other option at that price range is aluminum and imo steel > aluminum on the road. I have a pretty cheap 'track' bike made out of double butted chromo and it's not the lightest bike but its far from heavy. I used to regularly carry it up 7 flights of stairs which I absolutely refuse to do with my road bike.

just took off my front brakes after a month. i've mastered how to skid. so it shouldnt be too much of an issue to go brakeless right?

any pointers? thanks!

Well, just because you can skid, doesnt necessarily mean you know how to skid in traffic...

Just be attentive, so you dont need to skid...

Anyone need a chainring or crankset? I've got a Truvativ Touro crankset with the stock 48t chainring and bottom bracket for proper chainline (I can find the width but it gave me a perfect chainline on 120 spaced fixed hub). It's 3/32". Chainring bolts included. I've also got a 42t Sugino Messenger chainring. 1/8" and silver. Both are used but in good condition. Toss out an offer.

sorry to spam, but i have a pair of the DQM Air Tiempos that i'm selling. Had a pair on hold and had to pick them up, but they're just too small. They're the grey ones, size 12. Fits more like a 11-11.5. Sold out. $200 shipped anywhere.

i'd also trade these for a 13 in the grey.

i think iro ships to canada

http://www.irocycle.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=165

assuming the frame fits this is a pretty good deal i think. in your price range id rather start with a cheap track bike than bother with a conversion. or if you have a friend in the states have a kilo tt shipped to them from bikes direct.

yea i lean back a good amount. its all about finding that perfect balance point. i need to get a new chain ring. my current one is 48, id like a 46. i have to go pretty fast to keep a good one going, itd be alot easier with a little more torque.

sorry to spam, but i have a pair of the DQM Air Tiempos that i'm selling. Had a pair on hold and had to pick them up, but they're just too small. They're the grey ones, size 12. Fits more like a 11-11.5. Sold out. $200 shipped anywhere.

i'd also trade these for a 13 in the grey.

i think the sizing problems are due to the full-length air on the insole, it's the same theory as trying to make a pair of shoes work by putting an additional insole in. did you try switching them out for a thinner running or basketball insole? that made all the difference for me, i switched it out and it's magic. took them out for a test ride and they're definitely worth making it work

well the point of having them is the full length air with the carbon forefoot in the insole. otherwise its just another flexy soled indoor shoe.

it still has a stiff outsole so i wouldn't say it's pointless. sizing up an entire size is inviting tripping on stairs and toe overlap imo.

i like the livestrong tiempos but nike's designers screwed the pooch by not enlarging the toebox to account for the thicker insole up front. i'll probably end up trying the insoles out on something else that runs big but it does seem a shame it can't be used as designed