Bicyclettes

canice

How are you supposed to paint a frame, the good way? I painted my frame the other day with acrylic paint (spray can), but everytime I hit something the paint flakes off? Any recommendations for some good paint/techniques? I can't afford powercoating.

Theres some good tutorials over at bikeforums.net.

http://www.google.com/search?&q=site:www.bikeforums.net+DIY%20paint

How are you supposed to paint a frame, the good way? I painted my frame the other day with acrylic paint (spray can), but everytime I hit something the paint flakes off? Any recommendations for some good paint/techniques? I can't afford powercoating.

if it's aluminum, you're shit out of luck – best you can do is sand like a mofo and get as close to the base paint as you can. that shit is impossible to repaint.

steel – you CAN get to the base metal, but you got to be careful not to sand too much – bring it to an automotive sprayer, they'll charge you a couple hundred, but it's quality.

awesome alternative – don't paint it, just shellac/varnish on some shit on top of the paint, like calvin & hobbes comix, or something sweet like that

You'll never be able to replicate catalyzed paint durability and volatile solvent paint (spray paint.)

Professional, catalyzed paint hardens as one as a chemically bonded shell around the bike. Spray paint's solvents evaporate on the surface, leaving the solid together, but not bonded, per the paint or epoxies.

Auto/motorcycle joints will do it for <$100 if you're not too picky and you could easily half that on spraypaint.

Sidenote: looking for a new cross bike, put in your early season picks.... based on looks is fine...

ive recently painted my bike. my cousin assisted with his automotive shop. we used candy paint with sparkle.

sanded till it was raw.

wet sanded until it was smooth.

primer.

wet sand.

base coat color.

wetsand.

clear coat with sparkle flake.

wetsand.

clearcoat.

if anyone is interested my dad does powdercoating for a business and i can powdercoat bikes for super cheap. pm if interested...

ive recently painted my bike. my cousin assisted with his automotive shop. we used candy paint with sparkle.

sanded till it was raw.

wet sanded until it was smooth.

primer.

wet sand.

base coat color.

wetsand.

clear coat with sparkle flake.

wetsand.

clearcoat.

if anyone is interested my dad does powdercoating for a business and i can powdercoat bikes for super cheap. pm if interested...

sup, nick?

Just listed a roadie frame on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250435020755

1997 Cannondale CAAD3 R800 aluminum frame and carbon fork.

Ridiculously light, but I don't feel like building a second roadie. Someone snatch it from me.

Happy to arrange a pick-up in the East Bay, too.

Hey dkatz.... What are the measurements on this frame?

Hey dkatz.... What are the measurements on this frame?

These are my measurements, so they may be a smidge off, but should give you an idea:

Seat tube: 58cm from center of bottom bracket to the top of the opening in the seat-tube

Top tube: 56cm from the center of the seat tube to the center of the head tube

Down tube: 62cm from the center of the BB to the center of the head tube.

Any other measurements you want?