Bicyclettes

canice

*Need some help*

So today, I was replacing the 2 flat tires on my bike (its a terrible, terrible generic bike) with the tires from this other extremely shitty bike, and my mom came over and saw me doing so, then offered to buy me a new bike.

I've been wanting a nice road bike like most people in this thread have, I've been creeping around a bit but I really have no idea what I should look for I'm going to a few bike stores/looking around for used one.

I'll mostly be using it for short to medium range biking on paved roads - I'm looking to pick it up as a bit of a hobby, as previously it was purely to get from A to B ... oh and I'm about 6'0, 145 lbs, and i'll most likely be getting a fully pre-assembled bicycle.

Any tips, reccomendations etc.. what should i look for?

note - This project is budget-oriented. I plan to buy a better bike in a year or two if i really get into this shit.

anything would help. thanks.

But are you looking for a fixie, or a roadbike? It really depends on your budget. I guess it's under $400? Then I'd look for a decent 2nd hand roadbike. Just search on craigslist or visit some bikeshops.

I rode 126 miles yesterday, from san diego's faSHUN valley to san CLEMENTE and BACK.

I feel like a balla. I slept for 10 hours and had a pitcher of Spaten Optimatøøøøøøør.

So balla.

what lube you guys use for your chain?

dindt know there were so many lubes out there haha

i ordered some prolink lube.

hopefully it'll work for the dry / dusty weather i get around here.

and i think i'll be using 3-in-1 just for one ride.

memorial day = must riddde.

my bike has been having real problems in its rear end lately (no homo) my locking and cog got loose and i stripped one side of the hub, but luckily it's a flip flop fixed/fixed hub so i just flipped it around and got a new lockring. i tightened the cog and lockring as much as i could with tools and went for a ride, tightened again later in the week and my cog is still slipping ever so slightly. do i just keep tightening it every week or so until it stops or jb weld the shit on there if it doesn't?

Lockring doesn't need to be that tight. Your cog should be tightened enough to stay on by itself without the lockring, though the lockring should ultimately keep it from unscrewing. It should only need to be 'snug' tight.

Tighten the cog more; google rotafix.

I've heard some hub/cog combinations don't have enough shoulder, and sometimes shims under the cog should be used to get them tight enough. I've never had this, but this is the word from several mechanics I've been by.

You're going to fuck yourself over with 3-in-1, that shit is going to make a mess and attract dirt. If you didn't degrease your chain completely you probably have some of the factory lube deep in the chain. You should have just taken the ride to your shop and bought lube there instead of ordering and waiting.

I like Phil as a general lubricant. I've been using the Finish Line CR lately though for the chain.

Looking at some cheap road bikes on craigslist...heres a few that caught my eye...just want to make sure i don't get ripped off.

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/bik/1186532198.html

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/bik/1186555528.html

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/bik/1186927598.html

Not an expert, but i'd go with the first one. Don't forget to check the framesize you need according to your length, cause they all seem to have a differend framesize.

When you go check the rides, search for a tutorial or whatever on google what to look for. There's some simple techniques to see if everything is fine with the bike or not.

You're going to fuck yourself over with 3-in-1, that shit is going to make a mess and attract dirt. If you didn't degrease your chain completely you probably have some of the factory lube deep in the chain. You should have just taken the ride to your shop and bought lube there instead of ordering and waiting.

I like Phil as a general lubricant. I've been using the Finish Line CR lately though for the chain.

okay, havent put it on hahha i'll resist the temptation :(

on a fixed gear bike??

or a road.

lol12 gear '94 trek 1400.

Fixed gear would be pretty insane.

the guy i was riding with did it fixed a month ago...

Ive done the exact same ride.

rep :cool:

lol san diego randonneurs?

almost looks like the fork is bent forward from landing too hard after a trick...

@__@;

but where can i get a fork like that??

edit:

sorry for the flood of noob question, but this is the only cycle forum i visit

question / do i need a special tool to take off my chain? (its a kmc cheapo one)

^^ There isn't one online, but I have the directions for the brevet lying somewhere in my friend's room. If you're interested, I can PM you the directions.

In a nutshell, it starts from Hotel Circle (in downtown SD), and stays along the Coast, moving up from UCSD, to Leucadia/Oceanside/Cardiff-by-da-sea, and then wrapping around Camp Pendleton, then along the Coast again, to a ghetto-ass Carls Jr. over in San Clemente.

Also, it apparently took us 10:25 hours total. In our defense, we stopped numerous times for carb refuel breaks (aka eating donuts/pastries/hamburgers and fries). Great ride up and down.

These are the guys – http://sandiegorandonneurs.com/, they had a 1000 km ride going on right now too. Crazy.

If you want to do a ride sometime, I'd be down. I'll be in San Diego over the summer.

almost looks like the fork is bent forward from landing too hard after a trick...

@__@;

but where can i get a fork like that??

edit:

sorry for the flood of noob question, but this is the only cycle forum i visit

question / do i need a special tool to take off my chain? (its a kmc cheapo one)

They sell IRO forks on Ebay.

And as for the chain, if you have a masterlink, just pop it off. IF you dont, then youll need a chain breaking tool, as mentioned above.

If that master link IS there you'd probably want to take it off and replace it with a reg one, it's not likely, but it would suck if that master link somehow pops off while in motion.

If you need to use a breaking tool, DO NOT take the pin out completely. You're in for a ride if you don't have any extra links. Shit's a bitch to put back in once it's out (that's what she said concept).