Bicyclettes

canice

I'm totally new to this fixie thing.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/bik/774048807.html

would this be a good buy for someone just starting out? I ride a mountain bike to work and I'm not feeling the sticky fat tires. Would it be good project, (upgrading components, etc) or should I not even waste my time?

dont waste your money. If your new to fixed I would say dont jump right into it. Try to find a decent Road bike...ride that around for awile and if you want convert it.

dont get caught up in the hype of fixed gear...gears are not a bad thing

would this be a good buy for someone just starting out? I ride a mountain bike to work and I'm not feeling the sticky fat tires. Would it be good project, (upgrading components, etc) or should I not even waste my time?

There are dudes that post on here who live on Oahu and are really submerged in the whole fixie thing. I'm sure you could hook up with one of the dudes and they could show you the ropes.

dont waste your money. If your new to fixed I would say dont jump right into it. Try to find a decent Road bike...ride that around for awile and if you want convert it.

Would jumping right into it be a bad thing? I'm not entirely new to cycling, I've been commuting on a mountain bike (hardly switch gears, if that matters) for about two years now. I don't really have the money to pick up a decent road bike and convert later.

It's not terrible for that price, but if that really is the gear ratio, you might have to avoid anything that isn't a 30 degree downhill. Eyeballing it, I'd guess it's probably in the low 40's, but who knows?

Because I'd be pedaling too fast? is it a fairly light ratio? :confused:

There are dudes that post on here who live on Oahu and are really submerged in the whole fixie thing. I'm sure you could hook up with one of the dudes and they could show you the ropes.

That'd be slick! I would totally appreciate it.

That'd be slick! I would totally appreciate it.

I can't remember their names off hand so I can't really help you. I ride a Fuji Roubaix to and from work, so again, i'm really no help in the fixed world.

Go talk to the guys at the bike shop next to the Porsche dealership. They can help you and sell Pake bikes. Apparently the sales guy I spoke with claims they are made locally.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jilla82 View Post

Would jumping right into it be a bad thing? I'm not entirely new to cycling, I've been commuting on a mountain bike (hardly switch gears, if that matters) for about two years now. I don't really have the money to pick up a decent road bike and convert later.

why spend the money twice if you know you want to ride fixed? converting a road bike will cost way more than a stock kilo or something comparable and you can always run those as a singlespeed if you want to coast.

why spend the money twice if you know you want to ride fixed? converting a road bike will cost way more than a stock kilo or something comparable and you can always run those as a singlespeed if you want to coast.
because it sounds like he doesnt have that much experience w/ fixed gear bikes. He said he was tired of his mountain bike, why would a fixed gear bike be the next step after that?

and converting wouldnt be that much...plus he would learn more

thats just my 2cents

---------------- Now playing: Wu-Tang Clan - Wu Tang Clan Ain't Nuthing Ta Fuck Wit

depending on the road bike's parts, you're looking at least a rear wheel, maybe a set for $150, plus another $35 for a cog and most likely tires at $35 a piece for something decent. That's already $220, not too much shy of a complete bike, especially if that road bike will need a new crankset, etc.

I know where he's coming from though, I really have no experience when it comes to bikes, except for the fact that I ride one. But in the end, I want to ride fixed, (even if it just ends up to be something to ride for fun) and if I need gears, I'll stick with the mountain bike.

A Kilo is kind of out of my options, since shipping it to hawaii would cost a whole bunch. I'll probably check out the local bike store though.

A Kilo is kind of out of my options, since shipping it to hawaii would cost a whole bunch. I'll probably check out the local bike store though.

Go to Momentum Multisport, http://www.mmhawaii.com/

The sales staff there is really cool and I would buy a bike from them if I didn't already have one. They carry the SE line of fixed bikes, although heavy, a cheap bike. They also have other bikes that are entry level road bikes and not super expensive.

There is also another bike shop over by the Zoo heading mountain side that carries Pista's.

I'll probably take a look around later today. I don't really have 500 bucks to drop on a Pista.

They have that Fuji SE Draft there at Momentum. I haven't heard anyone talking about it, but it seems like a solid cheap single speed. Is it really heavy? (seems like a dumb question, but I don't have anything to compare it to.)

http://www.sebikes.com/2007/bike-detail.asp?id=19 <-- the bike

You think I should skip out on the craigslist bike?

Thanks for all the help, btw.

A new pair of road slicks for your MTB (they make them as narrow as 1"/road width) will breath fresh new life into your bike as it is for <$50.

My next cheap "upgrade" would be chopping the bars narrower to a more road-friendly width.

With these simple, cheap mods to your bike it will become much more rideable for how you use it without the expense of a second bike.

A new pair of road slicks for your MTB (they make them as narrow as 1"/road width) will breath fresh new life into your bike as it is for <$50.

My next cheap "upgrade" would be chopping the bars narrower to a more road-friendly width.

With these simple, cheap mods to your bike it will become much more rideable for how you use it without the expense of a second bike.

But that's not nearly as cool as riding a fixie. My giant is really lame. It's a girl's bike.

>__>

Yo I don't know shit about bikes, I just know how to ride them. Anyways, this dude at my work is willing to sell me a nice bike since he doesn't use it ever.

Cannondale R800 with Ultegra triple/105 component group.

Any thoughts on this? As i said, I don't know shit about them so anything will help. I want to start riding a lot around the city but of course, first I need a bike. I don't know anything about the wheels and the rest of the bike but everything is in good condition.

Because I'd be pedaling too fast? is it a fairly light ratio? :confused:

No way...it would require a lot of effort to start that thing rolling in flats. To get an idea of what it would be like, take a road bike and put it on the big ring (I'm assuming it would be something like a 5x/3x) and then the 2nd or 3rd smallest ring on your cassette. If you can pedal that, more power to you. Literally.

to the guy earlier talking about the H+Sons deep v rims 42 mm. Im about to order some but its international shipping, he might give a discount if its a group buy so does anybody want to jump on this and help pay for shipping and hopefully get a discounted rim.