opinions on reproducing jeans

steven

au contraire...the work is the same, it's just more thought put into it. for every minute detail on a pair of jeans, there is a decision to be made and either you are going to make that decision or the factory is going to make that decision, and as long as you let someone else make that decision, they will invariably err on the side of whatever is fastest and cheapest. that, in a nutshell, is the key to design.

even with a japanese "repro" company?

i guess so...does that make them businesses first and foremost, and artisans second

i'm always too romantic with my idea of japanese denim, but what i would give for a jean made for making's sake.

speaking of design, how about those dior 19cm repros? what the fuck is taking so long? do i have to do it myself?

we're doing a very similar cut.. the Self Edge x Iron Hearts

very similar to a 21cm Dior..

specs were just posted to the "Self Edge Update" thread..

-kiya

I'm with tony_hige on going all out since you obviously have the means to do so ..

why make copies ? just copy the cut and improve upon everythign in ridiculous meticulous borderline insane detail .....

dammit

;-)

If so I'm in for a w38

i'm still here.

still deciding on which pair to repro... so far everyone's been saying dior 19cm's but personally i don't like the fit on them.

Based on what I've seen in the thread, I'm not a big fan of how the Dior 19cm looks either. The 21cm looks good for the most part though, but it looks like kiya has that covered. How about one of the Nudie cuts? Regular Ralf, Straight Sven, or Slim Jim would all be pretty nice.

I think I would interested in a Dior type cut too, 19cm of course. Keep the cut and the 37" inseam but improve it this way:

-Nice 14oz.+ selvage, would improve on the Diors by proving for less stretching and heavier weight/stifness would keep the stack longer... maybe go for stitching that can allow for thicker roping effect too....

-Maybe differ the aesthetic by going for the western-style details over the Euro, like bronze/gold rivets and hardware, some sort of donut buttons for the fly, traditional button waistband, hidden rivets, leather patch on the back pocket, etc.

I think I would interested in a Dior type cut too, 19cm of course. Keep the cut and the 37" inseam but improve it this way:

-Nice 14oz.+ selvage, would improve on the Diors by proving for less stretching and heavier weight/stifness would keep the stack longer... maybe go for stitching that can allow for thicker roping effect too....

-Maybe differ the aesthetic by going for the western-style details over the Euro, like bronze/gold rivets and hardware, some sort of donut buttons for the fly, traditional button waistband, hidden rivets, leather patch on the back pocket, etc.

so odd.. this is pretty much exactly what i'm doing.

:)

keep tight.

you'll be pleased soon enough.

-k

even with a japanese "repro" company?

i guess so...does that make them businesses first and foremost, and artisans second

i'm always too romantic with my idea of japanese denim, but what i would give for a jean made for making's sake.

big difference between a japanese repro company and a factory, especially a factory in vietnam. but I'd bet even factories in okayama would cut every possible corner they could if they didn't have designers doggedly inspecting every step of the process.

kiya are you still talkign about " you are doing " in reference to the selfEdge collabo ?

isn't that just like picking out a sub what toppings etc at Subway ..

yes, i'm referring to the Self Edge x Iron Heart collabs.

-kiya