The $1000 hoody

Westbrook

I'm a huge LW fan, and while I wouldn't buy it (if it was given to me it would be my crown jewel, however), I'm kind of disappointed with a lot of the comments regarding the minimalism and lack of logos. If you're into name recognition you probably shouldn't even be looking at Loopwheeler.

I'm a huge LW fan, and while I wouldn't buy it (if it was given to me it would be my crown jewel, however), I'm kind of disappointed with a lot of the comments regarding the minimalism and lack of logos. If you're into name recognition you probably shouldn't even be looking at Loopwheeler.

i think the people who are unwilling to pay 1000 dollars for a hoody are going 'i wouldn't pay 1000 dollars for something that doesn't even say 'i spent 1000 dollars on this' and the people who would spend 1000 dollars on it are going 'wow, what a steal! this other thing is way more'

ultimately i don't think anyone cares what it looks like.

i just want to know where you can get an american apparel hoody for 20 bucks.

yeah, same here. i like my hoodies to be somewhat rugged and thick, and the "cashmere-like cotton" hoody I have is really quite delicate and on the thinner side. I'm afraid of even hanging it in my closet.

as for those ridiculously priced hoodies:

for something so simple and almost just plainly utilitarian, dropping grands on a hoodie just doesn't seem right at all. It's like spending thousands of dollars on a doormat because of its 'quality'. All that money is really going into the exclusivity, quality and whatnot, but any other AA hoodie can keep you warm for 20 bucks. No one is going to notice the hoodie and I guarantee almost everyone will laugh at how much you paid for a simple plain hoody.

Guest Fade to Black
who cares if other people notice it or not? i guess i have a different outlook on clothes/fashion than most people

i agree with you on this point, but i still think $1000 for a hoodie like that isn't exactly an investment i myself would feel comfortable making even if i could.

its definitely not a question of what other people think for me. nonetheless, I don't know that I'd grab a $1000 cashmere hoody simply because there are quite a few other pieces in that price range that I'd get first.

As to 52 and 60 ply, that is a ridiculously high number...I've never even heard of cashmeres being rated at that weight. If it is correct, that is probably what is determining the cost. The highest I've owned was 12 ply, and it was definitely a very thick and warm sweater...

Guest Fade to Black

As to 52 and 60 ply, that is a ridiculously high number...I've never even heard of cashmeres being rated at that weight. If it is correct, that is probably what is determining the cost. The highest I've owned was 12 ply, and it was definitely a very thick and warm sweater...

Definitely must be some other kind of rating scale or a mistake in the typing...52 and 60 ply, if it theoretically existed wouldn't even look like that. 12 ply sweaters are already bordering on 'chunky jacket' rather than an actual sweater in terms of the thickness of the weave...if i had to guess i would say that is 4 ply, or somewhere around there. My Issey Miyake cardigan is roughly in that ballpark, slightly more and looks thicker than those hoodies.

as for those ridiculously priced hoodies:

for something so simple and almost just plainly utilitarian, dropping grands on a hoodie just doesn't seem right at all. It's like spending thousands of dollars on a doormat because of its 'quality'. All that money is really going into the exclusivity, quality and whatnot, but any other AA hoodie can keep you warm for 20 bucks. No one is going to notice the hoodie and I guarantee almost everyone will laugh at how much you paid for a simple plain hoody.

I think you're on the wrong forum.

Definitely must be some other kind of rating scale or a mistake in the typing...52 and 60 ply, if it theoretically existed wouldn't even look like that. 12 ply sweaters are already bordering on 'chunky jacket' rather than an actual sweater in terms of the thickness of the weave...if i had to guess i would say that is 4 ply, or somewhere around there. My Issey Miyake cardigan is roughly in that ballpark, slightly more and looks thicker than those hoodies.

"However, it has also become a manufacturer's term used for describing the sizes of yarn (in Australia, the UK and New Zealand to name a few places) but may not mean the number of strands. So, wherever possible, we have listed both the ply and the US term for the yarn thickness, known as the "weight" of the yarn."

After a quick read with a more competent japanese reader, here's what I get.

It's not 100% cashmere (different fabric for surface, middle and liner, three layers of fabric?), it comes with a free wood box (woah! added "value"). It came out last year already for a Beams + thing and sold at their special event. Last weekend was LW's cashmere fiesta... then they proceed to say it's quite high end and luxurious while retaining its casualness.

I like ultra-expensive garments like this one to have some kind of twist though, even if it is unnoticable to casual viewers (let's call this the "Margiela touch"). For exemple the Demeulemeester hoodie has twisted seams, an oversized hood and other interesting details. This one strikes me as just "plain" which would only interest me IF it would represent, for me, the idea of a hoodie at it's highest degree of purity and simplicity.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I've been to the store and tired all those sweaters on. There's three versions:

-zip-up hoodie in 100% cashmere 2 ply yarn (Â¥115,000)

-crewneck that's 100% cashmere but 1 ply yarn (not sure but around ¥80,000)

-zip-up that has the exterior in cotton but the lining in cashmere (Â¥50,000)

They were all nice as far as cashmere go, but it's still pretty much a regular LW product, just different fabric... they even have the same old YKK. I don't think the fabric is worth a ¥90,000 difference, but maybe I'm wrong there, I don't usually buy cashmere. The wooden box it comes in it's pretty normal, it just looks like a big Jenga box or something like that.