gap has raw, 'authentic japanese', selvedge jeans.

chris

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it depends on how slim you want them. If you want them slim, I would suggest getting the smallest possible size you can fit into. My pair stretched in the waist fairly easily.

Well I am hearing things like, go down 2 sizes, go down one...I am usually a 32 in 501...and other denims..I guess I am gonna stick with that, or just get a 31 just to play it a lil safe..mite as well just get both....

Thanks for the response LIVENUDEGIRLS....

Not really. I got my first pair in a 33, the waist fit was good at first and stretched out fast, the waist shrunk very little (after a 3 hour hot soak and a lightly heated dry in the bathroom under heat lamps). The issue is not the waist so much as it is the fit in the ass and below the knee. I got a pair of 32's and I like the fit everywhere much more. I do not intend on washing these much, if ever, so if you can squeeze into them and get the fit everywhere but the waist, you will stretch the waist out pretty fast.

personally the fit on the morrisons (my supposed true size) > goughs (even when i sized down 2 sizes). the thighs fit great on the goughs but below the knees suck, its vice versa with morrisons, i love the fit below the knees but the thigh area is a bit too loose. i think the main reason is probably bc the length for the goughs is a lot bit too long so it has excessive stacking.

if anyone wants goughs, a brand new 32 x 34, a slightly used 32 x 34, or a brand new 31 x 32 let me know. i paid 40 a piece for them before the price drop to 19.99 so if anyone wants them for exactly what i paid let me know (of course cheaper for the slightly used one). OR if someone has a 31 x 30 or 32 x 32, id be more than willing to take trade the new ones.

So here are my Goughs after about three weeks of everyday wear; during school, weekends in the city (kudos to those who get the reference), sitting around, etc.

One me on the front

One me from the back

Left honeycombs

Backpocket selvage

Nice view on the inside

This pocket lining could fit half my forearm. No exaggeration

View from the back

View from the front, whiskers are coming along well

Side view

See, the crotch kinda bulges. There are a lot of buttons

I would've taken more pictures of the tags and what not, but I already put them away and stuff. So yeah, just under three weeks, some verticals, but not any you can see on camera. Enjoy.

They are slimmer, I have both the Goughs and Morrisons (selvedge), they Goughs are much better denim.

Why are the Gough's a much better denim?

I'd heard that they were the same.

The Goughs, use a much heavier slubbier denim than the Morrisons. I have no idea what weight the Gough is, but it is much thicker than the latter. The morrisons also fade faster, I have worn my Goughs every day for 1.5 months, I have worn my morrisons for 4-5 days, and there is more wear on the morrisons (I didnt push them like I have my Goughs). The morrisons are cool and have some real nice details that are no on the Goughs, but the denim is not the same league.

I bought a pair in the midtown store a couple days ago. I'm from South Florida. They were $70. They are not stiff or rigid. Maybe washed once??? Blue line selvedge. I got a 34. I wish i would've gotten a 32, but they are ok. Baggy fit. Gonna see if i can exchange them down here for a smaller size, or I will soak. And Super Steve's comment will cause an uproar if taken seriously!

The Goughs, use a much heavier slubbier denim than the Morrisons. I have no idea what weight the Gough is, but it is much thicker than the latter. The morrisons also fade faster, I have worn my Goughs every day for 1.5 months, I have worn my morrisons for 4-5 days, and there is more wear on the morrisons (I didnt push them like I have my Goughs). The morrisons are cool and have some real nice details that are no on the Goughs, but the denim is not the same league.

I rarely if ever post over here much but thought I'd chip in. I initially went to a local Gap, tried on the Gough and the newer Straight. Gough definitely felt rigid, Straight one wash with some slight wear patterns (IIRC).

Liked the fit of the latter, hated the fit of the former (as well as the latter's price - $69 for Gap jeans? WTF!).

SInce returning my RRDS due to not quite liking the fit of the sizes I tried and having to sell my RRLs due to stretching, I have been looking for something to fill that hole occupied by my occassional jeans-wearing. I saw CMF's pics of the Goughs and thought again that wow, those do look rather decent - maybe I should gamble on it

So I went back, tried on the 30x32. Ended up buying them. Hell, 21 or so dollars with tax is not bad for some decent denim material. If nothing else they would end up being the oil change trousers (like the 1969 I have).

Anyway, soaked them in hot water for a few hours (more indigo in the water than my hakama and gi combined ever bled), threw them in the dryer and lo and behold.

Fit is much better. Legs are much slimmer, did not lose much inseam. I actually like them now. Removed the canvas patch from the back, left that little metal stud thingie so I don't have a hold showing. No coin pockets but that is ok with me. Some faint signs of wear are now starting to appear. Definitely a good deal at that price (even though those REALLY nice RRLs that stretched too much were only 8 dollars more :(). Pockets are a bit odd but not bad enough to make me hate them.

I'd say size down on those bastards or the fit will look crappy. The Morrisson's looked like crap to me, did not even bother trying them on.

I think I have pics somewhere on the other SF, need to locate them.

they're there, just kinda in a shitty location if you're wearing a belt. flush with the waist band

Ah you see when I hear coin pockets I think of lower coin pockets - I kind of felt those "slots" there but thought those were just some damn gimmick and never bothered with them.

My belts are all a bit wider so these would be useless to me anyway.

Anyone know of a store that'll have 28x30? I called the Gap phone number and he was only able to find 2 stores in NY who had them, but they were all gone when I called them individually.

:o

IIRC you can request from stores around different areas and you can have them shipped to you, at least that is my impression...

IIRC you can request from stores around different areas and you can have them shipped to you, at least that is my impression...

The CSR I spoke with checked my state and a few others, but only gave me the ones from NY. I'm going to try calling again to see if I get another one who can look at more states for me.

:)

They went overboard with the selvedge, those morrissons IIRC were even worse - probably thinking that there is not such a thing as too much selvedge or something...
Hah you should see some earnest sewns. Selvedge waistband, selvedge belt loops, selvedge coin pocket.

Anyone know of a store that'll have 28x30? I called the Gap phone number and he was only able to find 2 stores in NY who had them, but they were all gone when I called them individually.

:o

i just put a 29x30 pair in the supermarket..asking for $50, a bit more than the current price @ gap but i got them some time ago so not trying to lose $.

let me know

The Goughs, use a much heavier slubbier denim than the Morrisons. I have no idea what weight the Gough is, but it is much thicker than the latter.

Not sure what you mean by "slubbier" but neither of these jeans are slubby in the slightest. Its like saying who's blacker, Jay Leno or David Letterman.