gap has raw, 'authentic japanese', selvedge jeans.

chris

im not talking about the morrisson one-rinse jeans that most of you have seen and/or tried on.

this one is called the "gough", and its a slim straight leg. the denim is a little darker, and much more rigid than the morrissons. they felt thicker and stiffer than even my diors (which, to alot of you, isnt that rigid, but in my opinion, they were) and had this faint sheen to them. they dont have the two-tone selvedge like the morrissons, and they also dont have any of the factory pre-distressing across the back of the knees, or the hems. they're also cut a few inches longer than the stated inseam. all of the mannequins (both in the store, and merchandising lookbook) wear them cuffed up. they're sold on the racks that way too.

im almost (99.999%) certain that they're raw. not just because the tag warns the buyer against sitting on light colored furniture, but because it also tells them that they should be washed "as infrequently as possible". i also took them in the fitting rooms and fucked around with a pair. i rubbed the denim against the white canvas tag on the inner waistband, and it turned very blue, along with my fingernails. and i dont know what its called when it looks like there is (or at least what i thought it looked like) selvage lining all around the inside of the waistband? but yea, it has that too. and it has japanese writing on it, and says in english right above, 'authentic japanese denim'.

of course, they fit horribly on me. but then again, most men's jeans do. i just thought some of you would be interested in checking them out, since they're not available online. and because they're only $98!

id probably like them if i werent a rail.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was about to say they fit you? where do you live chris, as not all stock in gap is the same everywhere and the bigger stores get more shit....seeing if its worth it for me to leave my house and have a look...

i live in a shithole. if my store has them, then im sure any store will.

Most Gap stores will carry those. I've seen them in person. While they're decent for the price, they're nothing to write home about. Gap has been producing selvage denim in their 1969 line on and off for about 10 years now. It's okay if you like the fit. Wait until the end of the season and you can get them for under 50 bucks.

I seen the gap selvage joints at the mall today after reading thiis post. They aren't that bad at all. straightleg, slightly slim. decent for 98 schillings but nothing compared to the brands and quality that are usualy spoken about in this forum. They also seem nowhere near as heavy as other japanese selvedge raw or (no wash) denim. Sumbody should copp just to see if they fade fast like nudies or apc's.........

I am not sure why these jeans aren't being received with more enthusiasm from us denim purists here. I think it is just because they are from the Gap. At a hundred bucks, and only eighty if you take out a credit card which you can dump later, they are a great bargain. The denim, construction, and fit are on par with many of the other jeans we are always talking about here.

Guest Fade to Black

i'm interested to see pics on this...i don't think tanner68's assessment is off mark either, GAP is making some seriously quality stuff every time i go in there i'm always pleasantly surprised at their quality.

Gap > Banana Republic, H&M, Zara, etc. EASILY.

Hey guys, first time poster... anyways I live in canada and I haven't seen them. I know of the morrisons you guys are talking about (I actually own a pair... and as much as I'm ashamed to say this... I like them haha).

anyways... I'm wondering if what you guys are talking about is: http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=20859&pid=468098

they are selvage, and they're new, and they fit the description of what chris has said.

or are they not? i'd also like to see the pics :) someone sneak a few shots in the change room!

Man, those african denim pair is pretty dope for a pre distressed.. I like the styling and the cinch back buckle.. so expensive though

But yeah, I should have taken pics here at the Gap in Vancouver, they had 2 pairs of selvage, one with 2 colors (red and black I think), and another pair that was stiffer that had a selvage line like APC

I tried on the Morrisons last night and when sized down they looked pretty good. Button fly!!!, selvedge around the waist and on the coin pocket, slight taper, dark denim. I didn't like the fake honeycomb bullshits but they looked really good on. Also I wish they made 31x34 rather then just the 32L(which is still long!). They where $59.99 cad.

Edit: I also tried on the womens skinny, not bad I think I could have fit a 6, but they where to short, and the crotch looked feminine.

I checked out all of them today at the GAP in Toronto. The Gough raw jean is like a rescue.. The denim is from Macau and it's like apc but a little slubbier.. Maybe closer to a RRDS. The pair they have with they aids red campaign are pretty nice denim. African cotton narrow spun in Japan with a thin red line selvage, and pretty slubby. I liked the denim itself, however the fit (other than a nice tapered leg) was pretty ill. The waist is made for the average atheletic build, ie. lots of hip room. Too much for my tastes. It was weird to have such a weird waist/hip/thigh fit combined with a nice slim tapered leg. They are distressed, and were 295 CAN. The Goughs were only 98 bucks.. a solid deal IMO and worth checking out.

I saw these tonight, Went to the gap after work. The quality isn't that bad at all. The denim has a good feel to it not cheap at all, the cut kinda sucks though really big after the knee, def kinda like a rescue but IMO a little bigger. They do look and feel like they would fade pretty nice though given the circumstances probably turn out good in the end. Nice denim for the price.

I tried them on today. Pretty much what the other said, kinda like the APC rescues. Had a nice sheen and pretty smooth denim. Good quality for the price. But I didn't like how they fit on me and I didn't like the back pockets. There's some orange thread stitching that extends beyond the actual pockets and it only suceeds in making my ass look funky in 'em.