Clothing Company in the Making. NEED SF'ERS OPINIONS!

Ockid

Hey there, all you SF'ers. I'm a 16 year old kid that has big dreams. My friend and I (who is in 1st year University at University of Toronto) have started a t-shirt/hoodie company as of last year. We have a legit silkscreening company helping us out and soon American Apparel to put us on their WholeSale list (Both my parents own businesses). We initial came up with the name "FAKE IS MURDER" but recently we thought it didnt have that RING to it! Therefpre, we've been brainstorming abit and we've come up with:

GoldCollar-> Kids who don't have money but parents are loaded. They live like they're on Baller status but in reality their parents are the ones.

NAMES:

GoldCollaR Co.

GoldCollaR Supply

GoldCollaR

GoldCollaR Kids

GoldCollar Club

Here are some rough samples thus far...Feedback good or bad are welcome! please dont hold back. But if youre gonna bash please tell me what we're doing wrong! I may be selling them over SF as well if there are enough interest. Many NT'ers are very interested....

Thanks, and have a safe/nice weekend..

FSDROPOUT.jpg

LVSHIRT.jpg

PlaneCities.jpg

C.jpg

This one's still in the works.

TOMFORD2.jpg

what we're trying to do is cover our bases..

with people that are influenced by SuperFuture & people that are influenced by Niketalk..

We want to provide something that everyone can enjoy...well, at least enjoy 1 article of clothing..

we're planning on taking plain AA hoodies and having designs on the back or chest..

thank you for your opinions..

BUT AS TO OUR NAME..WHAT DO YOU GUYS AS CONSUMER THINK WOULD WORK FOR US?

i dont like the t shirts and i dont like the name....gees i wasnt very helpful afterall haha.

well actually, please do not name it goldcollar kids or goldcollar club

yup...those were the 2 my partner didnt like...Gold Collar kids sounded like DGK and Club sounded like it was bitten off from BBC

i'm surprised people haven't flamed yet. do people actually think this is decent? Sorry, I don't mean to be an ass, but I really don't get what you're trying to do here.

the whole "Goldcollar" idea is off putting in itself, I guess I don't see that something to be proud of- but maybe you do.

GoldCollar Club is obviously a BBC ripoff.

what's the idea behind fake is murder? i don't get it. how many people have done LV style shirts in the past 5 years? why would anyone want to wear a shirt with a box of the actual lv logo with fake is murder in a bloody type font (that's not even that good) on it?

how many people will want a shirt with tom ford on it? (between niketalkers and people on here)

and yes, you should study typography. the placement of text and the fonts used could be a lot better...

i'm surprised people haven't flamed yet. do people actually think this is decent? Sorry, I don't mean to be an ass, but I really don't get what you're trying to do here.

the whole "Goldcollar" idea is off putting in itself, I guess I don't see that something to be proud of- but maybe you do.

GoldCollar Club is obviously a BBC ripoff.

what's the idea behind fake is murder? i don't get it. how many people have done LV style shirts in the past 5 years? why would anyone want to wear a shirt with a box of the actual lv logo with fake is murder in a bloody type font (that's not even that good) on it?

how many people will want a shirt with tom ford on it? (between niketalkers and people on here)

and yes, you should study typography. the placement of text and the fonts used could be a lot better...

thanks for the input...but everything is very pre-mature at the moment. We're still trying to come up with new stuff and getting people to tweak it and etc etc...

i would NOT do shirts. do some other gimmick, silkscreen bandanas, hats, anything else besides shirts. seriously, you already know this because you are making shirts similar to a million other companies. try something different and beat the tshirt kids at their game.

i know what you mean..but we're in canada and everything is LACKING! its nearly impossible to find 10deep, lemar&dauley or otehr huge brands compared to the states..

especially our town Ottawa...youd be lucky to find The Hundreds shirt at all

i know what you mean..but we're in canada and everything is LACKING! its nearly impossible to find 10deep, lemar&dauley or otehr huge brands compared to the states..

especially our town Ottawa...youd be lucky to find The Hundreds shirt at all

think about your market

yes this idea is sucess ful in your current location because like you said it is hard to obtain shirts like the hundreds adn 10 deep

but all companies must grow and what is going to happen once you feel the need to expand past ottawa and then suddenly you are in the larger cities and there is already a huge market for these kind of shirts?

Hey there, all your SF'ers. I'm a 16 year old kid that has big dreams. My friend and I (who is in 1st year University at University of Toronto) have started a t-shirt/hoodie company as of last year. We have a legit silkscreening company helping us out and soon American Apparel to let us on their WholeSale list (Both my parents own businesses). We initial came up with the name "FAKE IS MURDER" but recently we thought it didnt have that RING to it! Therefpre, we've been brainstorming abit and we've come up with:

GoldCollar-> Kids who don't have money but parents are loaded. They live like they're on Baller status but in reality their parents are the ones.

NAMES:

GoldCollaR Co.

GoldCollaR Supply

GoldCollaR

GoldCollaR Kids

GoldCollar Club

Here are some rough samples thus far...Feedback good or bad are welcome! please dont hold back. But if youre gonna bash please tell me what we're doing wrong! I may be selling them over SF as well if there are enough interest. Many NT'ers are very interested....

Thanks, and have a safe/nice weekend..

FSDROPOUT.jpg

LVSHIRT.jpg

PlaneCities.jpg

C.jpg

This one's still in the works.

TOMFORD2.jpg

Looks good, but I suggest you look up the definition of Gold Collar, there have been several good articles discussing the Gold Collar generation. What you have defined for Gold Collar is more notably known as a Trust Fund Kid/Baby.

think about your market

yes this idea is sucess ful in your current location because like you said it is hard to obtain shirts like the hundreds adn 10 deep

but all companies must grow and what is going to happen once you feel the need to expand past ottawa and then suddenly you are in the larger cities and there is already a huge market for these kind of shirts?

oh yah forsure...but we're not thinking about the future at the moment, we're thinking about the present and how we can build a brand loyal clintele around the ottawa area and perhaps the people that wish to purchase our shirts off SF, NT, HP and etc...Word of Mouth is one of the greatest thing a company like ours can get. Hype is can make anything a "need" to the mass market. You guys can agree with me on that one.

but as we grow as a company, so doe sour innovation and concepts. Therefore, resulting in better things =D. We're still learning about the whole industry, and how everything works. Basically, learning about the How to Do's..

I appreciates everyones opnions, ideas, and bashing becuase it would only help make our ideas even greater!

god bless you people

i'm sure people that want it can find a way to mailorder it like everyone else in the world.

the custom fees are insanely stupid. Discouraging many people i know from ordering from DG, CMONWEALTH, KARMA...etc etc

EDIT: anyone have any tips/suggestions that i should follow/do with my designs to enhence it when it gets printed or silkscreened on shirts..?Hi-Res, etc etc

here, i'll save you the time of looking it up...gold-collar refers to working-class people who spend a disproportionate amount of their income on high-end designer goods and as a result dont have enough money to do things like afford their own place to live, etc...

as for what youve got going here, i will echo what everyone else has said and suggest that you not try to start a t-shirt company. not trying to hate... the market is absurdly saturated and you dont seem to be offering anything that isnt already done better by plenty of other companies.

if you seriously want to get into clothing/apparel, heres some free business advice...if everyone else is stampeding in a certain direction (for example, t-shirts), look elsewhere. my suggestion is that you focus on making accessories (gloves, scarves, jewelry etc). the nature of streetwear today is individualization and accessories have always been the easiest way to make oneself stand out. also they tend to be more affordable than the larger items, and people are willing to own more of them. america (including canada, i didnt notice the ottawa part in your posts) sucks when it comes to accessories, every company offers shit that all looks the same.

I have been contemplating starting some sort of "clothing line" kind of thing for the past few years, like many other people. and I have yet to really get anything going for a lot of reasons. listen to everyone on here, a lot of them give good advice whether you like it or not. If you think about any succesful, well known t-shirt based brand most of them have something sort of "special" about them. like a theme or something that they represent. and that is what has held me back from starting anything, because I don't want it to be half assed. I know I am creative and could probably think of some random shit to print on a t-shirt, but you have to do it better then that. it's great that you have some ideas, but like others said they are a but premature. you have to think of a direction and you have to have a reason for people to want to buy what you have. The world of "fashion/clothing" is much, much bigger then superfuture and niketalk. 2 internet message boards cannot be the only or main audience for your products. And posting up your ideas is probably not a good start if your ideas are not that great or well developed. that starts people off with a bad taste in their mouth. Anything and everything you put up for everyone to see has to be the best you have. so get back to the "drawing board" as they say, there is wayyyyy too many mediocre t-shirt brands out there.

Thanks guys for the input..

this is more of a "selfish project" we have no intentions on going up against the big boys like Supreme, Obey, and other hardcore streetwear brands..its kinda more for us and whoever wants it...at least thats how i see it personally.it's a hit or miss, we're still young! The things that comes with a demise of a project is that you gain experience for your next big thing. We have no connections to accessories such as gloves, scarves and etc. Thats not our forte..

It is back to the drawing board and coming up with ideas...i have one right now but we will see how that goes....ill draw and scan it out

Edit: perhaps we will make accessories..my dad can make shoes and leather gloves and i have access to leather, and etc...

Once again, thanks for taking to help us out

Hey there, all you SF'ers. I'm a 16 year old kid that has big dreams. My friend and I (who is in 1st year University at University of Toronto) have started a t-shirt/hoodie company as of last year. We have a legit silkscreening company helping us out and soon American Apparel to put us on their WholeSale list (Both my parents own businesses). We initial came up with the name "FAKE IS MURDER" but recently we thought it didnt have that RING to it! Therefpre, we've been brainstorming abit and we've come up with:

NAMES:

GoldCollaR Co.

GoldCollaR Supply

GoldCollaR

GoldCollaR Kids

GoldCollar Club

This is a really well-crafted joke right, because I was laughing halfway through.

Kids who don't have money but their parents are loaded... but if they're living on baller status, regardless of where the money comes from, they're living on baller status. So, what are you doing exactly, glorifying people who've never earned anything in their life?

Your aim is the streetwear market, right? As it has already been pointed out, your name is completely off-point. 'Gold collar' already has another widely used meaning.

So, what exactly do trust-fund kids have to do with the streets? Endeavors like this are precisely why the streetwear market is flooded with barely passable ideas- you're promoting a lifestyle that is completely opposite to that of what streetwear represents.

Doesn't that seem, I dunno, a little insincere?

You're talking about how fake is murder, but you and your buddy are fakes- 16 year olds shouldn't have business contacts. Period. Go skate, go start a band, go fucking wild for a few more years. Do something genuine with your life, better yet, do something that doesn't have anything to do with your parents or your parents' money. Get some life experience under your belt, learn about something beyond the world of sneakers and glitzy t-shirts to match. Then, maybe, give this idea another go.

This is a really well-crafted joke right, because I was laughing halfway through.

Kids who don't have money but their parents are loaded... but if they're living on baller status, regardless of where the money comes from, they're living on baller status. So, what are you doing exactly, glorifying people who've never earned anything in their life?

Your aim is the streetwear market, right? As it has already been pointed out, your name is completely off-point. 'Gold collar' already has another widely used meaning.

So, what exactly do trust-fund kids have to do with the streets? Endeavors like this are precisely why the streetwear market is flooded with barely passable ideas- you're promoting a lifestyle that is completely opposite to that of what streetwear represents.

Doesn't that seem, I dunno, a little insincere?

You're talking about how fake is murder, but you and your buddy are fakes- 16 year olds shouldn't have business contacts. Period. Go skate, go start a band, go fucking wild for a few more years. Do something genuine with your life, better yet, do something that doesn't have anything to do with your parents or your parents' money. Get some life experience under your belt, learn about something beyond the world of sneakers and glitzy t-shirts to match. Then, maybe, give this idea another go.

though, the clothes are similar to other streetwear brands, thats not our direction or target market. If you know where Ottawa or what type of demographic it is...then you'd know that it's a conservative town that is filled with fine dining. We are catering to those who like clothes we put out. Period. Wouldnt trying to start what we're trying to start and trying to strive for our goals, big or small somewhat of a life experience at the moment? I'm not trying to go out and start a company and try to have it at the Tradeshow and make shit blow up. But to give people i know in my city some shit to bust out cause Ottawa sucks when it comes to clothing in general as opposed to MTL, TORONTO, VANCOUVER, to name a few. I'm sorry if what I put out have offended you for we've most likely have different life. I'm from the suburbs of Ottawa,Canada where the worst thing that can happen is your garbage bins being lost after Garbage pick-up day while youre from the Bronx or so i assume due to your location. Where anything can happen at any given chance. Thanks for your criticism because it has helped me rethink the whole concept.

Edit: We'll ride the wave, and wear our shit....whatever happens, happens!

Have a nice night.

Thanks guys for the input..

this is more of a "selfish project" we have no intentions on going up against the big boys like Supreme, Obey, and other hardcore streetwear brands..its kinda more for us and whoever wants it...at least thats how i see it personally.it's a hit or miss, we're still young! The things that comes with a demise of a project is that you gain experience for your next big thing. We have no connections to accessories such as gloves, scarves and etc. Thats not our forte..

It is back to the drawing board and coming up with ideas...i have one right now but we will see how that goes....ill draw and scan it out

Edit: perhaps we will make accessories..my dad can make shoes and leather gloves and i have access to leather, and etc...

Once again, thanks for taking to help us out

i guess you are a gold collar kid, if you dont play to win, than what the fuck are you doing? it must be nice to have the luxury to do aproject just for fun

though, the clothes are similar to other streetwear brands, thats not our direction or target market. If you know where Ottawa or what type of demographic it is...then you'd know that it's a conservative town that is filled with fine dining. We are catering to those who like clothes we put out. Period. Wouldnt trying to start what we're trying to start and trying to strive for our goals, big or small somewhat of a life experience at the moment? I'm not trying to go out and start a company and try to have it at the Tradeshow and make shit blow up. But to give people i know in my city some shit to bust out cause Ottawa sucks when it comes to clothing in general as opposed to MTL, TORONTO, VANCOUVER, to name a few. I'm sorry if what I put out have offended you for we've most likely have different life. I'm from the suburbs of Ottawa,Canada where the worst thing that can happen is your garbage bins being lost after Garbage pick-up day while youre from the Bronx or so i assume due to your location. Where anything can happen at any given chance. Thanks for your criticism because it has helped me rethink the whole concept.

Edit: We'll ride the wave, and wear our shit....whatever happens, happens!

Have a nice night.

See, now this makes a little more sense. And, although I still can't get completely with your perspective, I can respect you for being completely honest about where you're coming from and why you want to do this. That being said, I hope you manage to come away from your experience with some good ideas as to what you can really

do with your life.

Good luck to you and the Gold Collar Group Inc.