Denim in Singapore

tweeds

No one's talking about APC here at the moment, but I just got a call from Front Row and I found out the jeans are going up in price from $240 to $260 next week. So if any of you want to cop, might want to drop by over the weekend.

(They didn't call just to inform me that--they thought they had a pair on hold for me and I said I already bought mine during my last visit, and the lady said well if I want another pair, I should get it before the price hike. Maybe this is all some marketing ploy ha.)

Thing is, how the heck does a 2% increase in GST translate to a $20 increase? First they dropped for 220, then upped to 240 to even the playing field but now it's 260? I know they're priced at 140 in the states but seriously, now their value doesn't seem quite as good as before, with more quality denim becoming available here now.

does any one know the reason for the price hike? beacause if their reason is due to the 2% increase in GST, the 20 bucks increase is actually illegal.

and why's that? not like the reason really matters man, i mean it's up to their own discretion how they want to set their prices, and if you ain't happy with that, don't get from them. you could always order from denimbar or something?

So... to buy APC or not to buy APC? With the price increase I could always top up a bit more and get a pair of Imperials or something.

buy them from the us. it'll be cheaper.

Yeah, I mean they're free to set their prices as they desire, but if by taking advantage of this time to up their prices even if their costs have not changed, it may constitute as profiteering, wouldn't it?

that's if they state the reason for the increase in price due to GST, it should be okay then.

whatever, if you're in singapore, just suck it up. you'll get resigned to it.

although i can never understand why gst is tabulated with the service charge inclusive. to me, service charge is service tax, so ultimately they're taxing the tax.

I don't understand the concept of a "service charge" in Singapore. Is that a 10% tax taken by the restaurant, or distributed to the waiting staff? It's reasonable if it's to the staff, since we don't practise tipping here, but if it's taken by the restaurant, that's what I call profiteering!

They should just get rid of the "service charge" since we have GST now, assuming the "service" in GST encompasses the service supplied to patrons, I can't imagine what other "service" GST implies.

I don't understand the concept of a "service charge" in Singapore. Is that a 10% tax taken by the restaurant, or distributed to the waiting staff? It's reasonable if it's to the staff, since we don't practise tipping here, but if it's taken by the restaurant, that's what I call profiteering!

They should just get rid of the "service charge" since we have GST now, assuming the "service" in GST encompasses the service supplied to patrons, I can't imagine what other "service" GST implies.

I thought there was a survey done and it was in fact not distributed to the waiting staff?

In fact they should get rid of GST. Hong Kong does not have it and they are resistant to such taxes.

Yeah I assumed the "service charge" is not distributed to waiting staff knowing the way Singapore works, I mentioned it on the off-chance that some restaurants actually do (giving them the benefit of the doubt).

I wouldn't be surprise if the "service charge" was implemented for the benefit of waiting staff BECAUSE Singapore doesn't have a tipping culture, and over time, it got absorbed by restaurants.

Yet another stellar example of Singapore ecnomony and "market forces" at work.

im pretty sure that service charge was implemented because of the fact that singaporeans are kiasu. So the intended reason for service charge was for it to serve as a "forced tip", but because of the fact that we never ever had a tipping culture anyway, the waiting staff probably never bothered to ask for the slight raise (since they should've been the ones to benefit from the service charge), resulting in the restaurants absorbing the 10 percent.

but i might be wrong. you'd have to correlate historical waiting staff wage prices with the implementation of service charge to really see if service charge actually worked the way it was intended to or not.

fuck the tax