superliving: your room / closet / house / apartment

youngluc

I think I'm gonna clear coat it with anti rust stuff.

Clear coat for sure. And don't take this as a knock, as so few people are capable of stuff like this nowadays, but WHY did you bevel that corner? There had to have been a stud post in the original, should have just done an angle baseplate if you were worried about the endgrain or something.

wouldn't let me +rep, so just wanted to say good job.

fuck i wish i knew what you were talking about. the house is a fucking lego set to me. like i said, my first time. but maybe you could give me some pointers. stud post? i think you are talking about the piece that came from out the ground near the last top step? yeah, i didn't know that was there when i was kicking shit down. i was wondering why that part was so hard to come off. i just ended up sawing it off. whoops. oh well. in my head i was thinking it wasn't load bearing so its okay if i got rid of it.

here's a question for you. should i mount my railing directly on the wood then lay dry wall around it, or patch the whole shit in dry wall and mount railing on top of dry wall?

oh wait, i think i know what youre talking about now yeah. problem is i installed hardwood floors in before knocking that wall down (check out carpet in before pics). in hind sight, i should have knocked down the wall first, then laid hard wood all over and did a different way to mount the railing. oops. i didn't want to redo hardwood cause that was also a bitch especially with the dark stain i picked out (had to redo stain once cause i'm a newb).

for those interested here is my photo album of some work i'm doing to my house:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2485590&id=10708005&l=41fdf3c184

Yeah, it was a little bit hard to tell from the photos, but I am assuming that corner was like maybe a 4"x4" post that ran from the ground floor up to the sill of that half wall you demo'd. Obviously cutting it where you did, doesn't matter, cause it was not supporting anything.

Whatever you do, DON'T lay down drywall and then put your railing on top of that. That shit will crack with the weight/forces of the railing, especially since it would be on the edge of the drywall. My rec. would to be cut that shit down to level with whatever you applied the hardwood on top of. It is kind of hard to tell what is there now, but you definitely want to attach your railing to wood, whether it is the plywood substrate, (maybe what you put the hardwood on?) or adding some 2x4 blocking there at the correct level.

The question is, how do you want to finish the material underneath the railing? You said you didn't want to add more hardwood, but in my opinion that would be the only real option that makes sense. Unless you can really plane down some doug fir, get it totally even with the level of the hardwood, then stain to match. Personally I think it would look pretty odd to patch over the railing foottings (once they've been secured to the blocking or plywood subfloor) and have a white drywall 'L' shape there.

The cleanest option, would of course to rip out the existing hardwood, and redo it with full planks that run all the way to the edge of the floor, but that's prolly to excessive, haha.

19365_1279067851063_1061011134_30829847_5253816_n.jpg

I installed a new counter top, glass tile , and hood. I am going to change the range, fridge, and install low voltage linear lighting under the cabinets soon.

I think my kitchen is missing something. What do you guys think?

^^^^ looking very cozy spoona.

Yeah, it was a little bit hard to tell from the photos, but I am assuming that corner was like maybe a 4"x4" post that ran from the ground floor up to the sill of that half wall you demo'd. Obviously cutting it where you did, doesn't matter, cause it was not supporting anything.

Whatever you do, DON'T lay down drywall and then put your railing on top of that. That shit will crack with the weight/forces of the railing, especially since it would be on the edge of the drywall. My rec. would to be cut that shit down to level with whatever you applied the hardwood on top of. It is kind of hard to tell what is there now, but you definitely want to attach your railing to wood, whether it is the plywood substrate, (maybe what you put the hardwood on?) or adding some 2x4 blocking there at the correct level.

The question is, how do you want to finish the material underneath the railing? You said you didn't want to add more hardwood, but in my opinion that would be the only real option that makes sense. Unless you can really plane down some doug fir, get it totally even with the level of the hardwood, then stain to match. Personally I think it would look pretty odd to patch over the railing foottings (once they've been secured to the blocking or plywood subfloor) and have a white drywall 'L' shape there.

The cleanest option, would of course to rip out the existing hardwood, and redo it with full planks that run all the way to the edge of the floor, but that's prolly to excessive, haha.

i think you may have convinced me to lay down more hard wood. i'm not going to do full planks though. just rip out minimal amount. i think i'm just gonna pay someone who can match it up for me as best possible. fawk.

coldrice this is late as shit but your place is a panty dropper, could totally flick beans in that place or eat her cookie, rad.

i've moved back home with mom but she's moving out in summer so i can finally start looking for furniture for what's going to be my new home. it's a super old victorian style interior (maybe not so much on the outside) with an old buttery ass heater that's built into the floor. i'm racking up on my moth and beetle collection at the moment to display outside when the time has come so when hoes come over i can be like, "oh yeah this moth is the only moth that can go into beehives, they can mask their scent with those of a bee and steal honey and shit." oh and i got this steelo ass view that you could see over the fog and see the bay bridge clearly. oh and totally not trying to use this place as craigslist, but if you live in san francisco and want a room on the cheap cheap i'm gonna be needing a room mate when this all happens. could totally be your bachelor pad, i got an xbox360 and i'm kinda good with sharing. oh and i got a huge movie collection.

Posted · Hidden by rhett, January 5, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by rhett, January 5, 2012 - No reason given

Just moved from a 2 bedroom apt into a new studio still unpacking will take pics later when finished. Gotta say i like living in a studio better just need to get rid of excess stuff.

photo-717065.jpg

SB Lofts.

Your friend will regret moving into a Barry Shy building. As an architect, I am fairly pro-devo, but that dude is one of the scummiest developers in LA. Google him and look for any press regarding his lawsuit about skirting seismic improvements at the now tenant owned, Higgins building.

Just moved from a 2 bedroom apt into a new studio still unpacking will take pics later when finished. Gotta say i like living in a studio better just need to get rid of excess stuff.

photo-717065.jpg

Looking forward for more pictures of your studio apartment soon. Where does the staircase leads to? Bed?

coldrice this is late as shit but your place is a panty dropper, could totally flick beans in that place or eat her cookie, rad.

i've moved back home with mom but she's moving out in summer so i can finally start looking for furniture for what's going to be my new home. it's a super old victorian style interior (maybe not so much on the outside) with an old buttery ass heater that's built into the floor. i'm racking up on my moth and beetle collection at the moment to display outside when the time has come so when hoes come over i can be like, "oh yeah this moth is the only moth that can go into beehives, they can mask their scent with those of a bee and steal honey and shit." oh and i got this steelo ass view that you could see over the fog and see the bay bridge clearly. oh and totally not trying to use this place as craigslist, but if you live in san francisco and want a room on the cheap cheap i'm gonna be needing a room mate when this all happens. could totally be your bachelor pad, i got an xbox360 and i'm kinda good with sharing. oh and i got a huge movie collection.

Thanks for offering me, dickhole.

Hey Appleseed, do you have any favorite buildings in LA? I'm thinking about buying a condo...anywhere but downtown, basically.

Sure, you have a price range? You can PM me if you want.

Obviously prices in saturated areas during the most recent boom have fallen a bit, but outside of downtown has yet to see as significant of a break. Most of the nicer condo arrangements that aren't in downtown, are smaller 8~15 unit buildings. Another option for you might be one of these recent projects that have taken advantage of LA's Small Lot Subdivision Ordinance.

Rock Row recently sold out.

The Mews is about to open up for sales, I think

West Hollywood, if you can afford it, has a pretty decent stock of 'architectural' (I hate using that word this way) condos. Look at some of Lorcan O'Herlihy's projects, such as Formosa.

The best tool for something like this, is to use the search engine Redfin, fill in your parameters and then search by neighborhood. Redfin is great, as you can be pretty specific, and then pan and zoom within the map to filter your selections. I am not really aware of any screaming deals outside of downtown right now, but I can certainly give some feedback on a particular building, if you happen to find something you like. The larger trend right now is to set up currently defaulting multiunit buildings for auction. There have been some fairly successful cases for this, both in and out of downtown.

Moved in here a few weeks ago. Renting 1100 sq ft by myself. The price was too good to pass up and I don't have to worry about annoying apartment neighbors. I need a roommate though--and the place obviously needs some fixing up (and new furniture).

House2-1.jpg

House1-3.jpg

House3-1.jpg

House4-1.jpg

Nice backyard area.

House2.jpg

^ looks like a good place for RAPE

just thought this was amusing.

appleseed, you finish your place? wanna see more.

Your friend will regret moving into a Barry Shy building. As an architect, I am fairly pro-devo, but that dude is one of the scummiest developers in LA. Google him and look for any press regarding his lawsuit about skirting seismic improvements at the now tenant owned, Higgins building.

Ditto. Barry Shy is no bueno.

24010_893351664048_10708005_48986603_3570661_n.jpg

my next project is to mount prefab concrete panels like the picture above. anyone know of a good sites to learn how do this? looks simple enough. the panels are only like 1/8in thick. i've been trying to look for a local supplier for prefab concrete panels but i don't know what key words to be using for my searches.

Poly: got busy and kinda scaled back plans a bit. Built a few more furniture pieces, but haven't taken any new shots.

Hailxenu: It is kinda likely you will have to get those through a general contractor for the precast panels. You can find a manufacturer and see who is their local distributor, but often the distributors don't sell to the public.

Try looking up a concrete contractor? If you were down here I could be a bit more helpful. Installation should be pretty easy for you. Most of those panel systems just use clips on the back, and depending on the configuration, you can pretty easily just anchor them back to the wall studs.