Pale Skin, Fair Hair = What colours?

home

Hey guys,

Being of irish heritage, I have telltale pale skin (with some freckles) and light blonde hair. Think of a hunky swedish guy ... minus the bronzed skin!

Now before you tell me to 'go get a tan' - it isn't quite as simple as this. I don't tan, I merely freckle.

Onto colours! I was wondering what other board members think look good on us fair-coloured peoples.

Previously, I have avoided black and most bright colours (think rocket red, lemon yellow, bright aqua) for fear that they all accentuate the fact that I am 'unfashionably' pale. Now, however, I'm not sure whether my avoidence of these colours is justified.

I generally stick with earthier tones and less 'in-your-face' pigments. I *think* these sorts of colours generally work well with my colouring.

I have also come to realise that white (particularly plain white tees) does not work well as it sort of just blends in with my colouring and I well and truly believe it accentuates the pale skin. I don't think it compliments me at all.

Having said all that, whats your take on things? What colours do you guys think looks good on fairer coloured guys like me?

Thanks for any input peoples!

(PS. I also tend to think that pale-skinned people with darker hair can get away with more than fair skinned & haired people can as the black/darkness of their hair adds some sort of foundation for them to build colour schemes about - plus they can get away with black tops easily!).

think your on the right track as it is.

Earthy colours will look good, as will pastel type shades, brown, light but not bright pink, plum, etc.... id steer clear of bright orange or yellow, not to patronise your heritage but greens would probably look good on you if your very fair.

Im a kind of mousey haired caucasian, pretty typical, and i think black allways looks like quite a statement on me, but it depends what look your going for. A dark brown suit looks great on most.

Although you shouldnt restrict yourself to much colour-wise, because texture can tie stuff togther pretty well, so similar colours could look less monotonous with different fabrics, and mixing fabrics would also be good at incorporating nice dashes of colour that otherwise could look a bit naff.

Sounds like I have the same complexion is you. Im the typical Scandinavian blonde hair, pale skin type too. And yeah, earth tones are the way to go. And for some reason, heather gray works too. But I only rock black coats, preferably wool. It doesn't draw so much attention to the fair skin since it actually makes your blonde hair stand out more. Although I wish I could have dark hair and and a five o'clock shadow. Shit.

try dusty colors. Like pale purple, pink, darker mustard yellow, light green. Basically nothing that hurts to look at. My buddy has a similar complexion and has a bit of a complex about it. He wears some funky colors and stuff. Went through a earthtones binge, now hes getting into darker blues and stuff, looks ok. Also, something he does... he colored his hair by putting a few light brown highlights and it really made his complexion a little more forgiving.

Also, lots of accessories and shirts with prints and layering and stuff helps a LOT.

Try green apple tree tshirts for ideas on what im talkin about.

Good luck! and let us know how it goes!

I have very very fair skin, those of you who have seen pictures may not notice, but It took me 5 years to find makeup light enough for it.

Now that we've established my paleness, I also have olive toned skin, so if you are ruddy, what I wear wont work for you. Also my hair is dark natural auburn.

I wear brights, and bold colors, pastels give me an odd look, no yellowish tans, not a lot of black, I end up looking like a goth kid to easy withthe dark hair and light skin.

If you are ruddy, or a more red based skin tone (which from the freckling bit, I'd guess you are) stay away from light reds. Navy, brown, white, and dark burgundy are your safe colors. Black will accentuate a ruddy complexion like no other. If you want to wear another bright, do so in a shirt with a jacket over it, keep the colors that dont suit you to your best away from your face (like wear a bright red belt, or shoes, but not a top). The rule of thumb is if it comes in the 4 pack of crayolas they hand out at the restaurants, you dont wear it.

and you leave whatever buttons you want open, it's a matter of if the color complements your skin, not how pale you are. I dont look that pale, but I am, and most of my not looking pale comes from dressing in good colors. (thankfully, I have a taste for those colors anyway)

And Bright blue does NOT make you look paler unless you are ruddy, in which case it makes you look splotchy, I look absolutle strinking in a bright blue silk dress I have.

Ruddy (from dictionary.com)

1. of or having a fresh, healthy red color: a ruddy complexion.

2. red or reddish.

3. British Slang. damned: a ruddy fool.

–adverb 4. British Slang. damned: He'd ruddy well better be there.

Id be pissed if my complexion was damned.

Thanks for the wisdom, Keri, as always.