new APC jeans...

the_state

so i just picked up a new pair of raw APC jeans (in nyc), and they definitely need some hemming. I haven't worn them yet, and while i've been reading enough about raw denim care today to write a book, i haven't found anything mentioning what to do with hemming brand new jeans. correct me if i'm wrong here, but i understand that i probably shouldn't wash them for at least6 months. after that, i should wear them in a cold shower and hang 'em out to dry. but as far as tailoring goes, what should i do? i've heard that the inseam will shrink a couple of inches after the first wash, but that probably won't be til february.

help! thanks.

I'm not positive, but I don't think you're APC's should shrink too much in the wash. You could give them a cold soak in the tub before you wear them and they may shrink a little without losing too much color. You could also wear them cuffed until you want to wash them.

Give them a good soak first to get the shrinkage out of the way before you have them altered. they should still be crispy enough for you to set your creases and get the contrast your looking for.

what about the whole "don't wash fro 6 months" deal. is this definitley the move?

sorry for the skepticism, i just wnat these to come out perfect

six months, 2 years whatever... personal preference(stink, feel, rippage are factors). But rule of thumb round here is 6-9 months

gotcha, but is it bad to cold soak them right away in order for proper shrinkage in the inseam to set in (for tailoring purposes)?

this has been covered umpteen times in the stickys

..but heres what i do....cold soak...20 minutes...inside out...laid flat...in a clean tub...take them out...hang dry for a while....put them on whilst still slightly wet to set in the creases...bend/squat down every now and agains and just...wear them until theyre dry...

but do whatever you want man...im just trying to boost my post count :P

With unsanforized jeans, like APC, you should have no problem at all hemming them 1/2 inch longer than you maybe would, wear them, and then wash when you are ready. If they shrink too much, then you should be able to stretch them back, but this is unlikely IMO.

You could soak to start, but...this feels to me like getting off on the wrong foot, you know?

I am working on my first pairs of dry denim, one being an APC Rescue. The massive inseam kills me, as I don't like cuffing my jeans too much, so I'm taking them to a tailor soon as well. I'm going to have them hemmed so that if I'm standing, I'm stepping on 1/2 inch or so of the hem, maybe 3/4 inch. That should (a) leave me enough room for shrinkage and (B) allow me to cuff them so that the cuff isn't all the way up to my knees

Guest Phrost

They are sanforized. Blackplatano, APC said they would hem the jeans for you? Any idea if they charge you for it? Someone recommend me a good tailor to patch up and hem my jeans for me in the NY area.

use the search function in the future please...

anwyays....there really is no need to cold soak. Apc's dont really shrink that much in length. Maybe an inch at the most. I would just get them hemmed if you werent happy with the origianl length but make sure you leave a bit of space just in case....