went 2 the Dior store in NYC & got snapped at:

emaze

I went into the Dior store over the weekend in NYC uptown 57street. -Just to browse and look at denim. They had the raw 19cm & 21cm no selvedge, & I asked if they were the Japanese or Italian denim? & the store guy snapped at me and said, "why are people asking that!!!" -it's Japanese....

did I miss something???

LOL... I guess so. Damn, must be nice to spend money like that, with no questions asked....

emaze, you're one of the chillest people ever, it's crazy that you of all people would get snapped at.

i hate most people who work at retail stores, they have such attitudes and you can tell that they just don't want to be there.

whenever you go to japan, you will be amazed by how good the customer service is.

I found that alot of sales in stores don't know their products well enough. I often go into these denim stores where people don't even know what selvedge is. I go into suit stores, and they dont know the difference between fused and floating canvas. I go into shirt stores, and they don't know the fabric, the details or whether the buttons are mother of pearl.

The worse is when they try to BS you that it's high quality when I know it's not.

Having said all that, I find Dior Homme to be high quality products in general (wasn't too impressed with the Made in Turkey t-shirt). I believe Dior Homme is a good bridge between fashion and traditional perfection-obsessed tailors, look at their suits and shirts.

i haven't seen any italian raw jeans in the NYC store, i don't really care where the denim is from particuarly but i do look when i have bought the jeans, the end of the issue is you're not buying DH jeans because the denim is fabulous you're buying the jeans because you can't get the cut anywhere else (19cm at least, maybe the 21's cut are available in other brands)

Guest Fade to Black

damn that's pretty foul and unprofessional of the sales guy...i've noticed that Dior sales aren't too knowledgeable about their denim products in general, but yeah to find out like someone above said just look inside the left thigh for the 'made in...' tag.

404, speaking of sales staff who don't know shit...get this, i was getting a suit tailored in Hong Kong, it was practically bespoke and the guy seemed to know what he was doing with the measurements and taking down my specs...then i asked him if the suit was going to be fused or canvassed, he didn't have a clue what i was talking about! How does someone spend decades in the tailoring business without knowing that is beyond me...maybe he just didn't know the Chinese term for it. Either way, the suit came out alright but it was fused...

emaze, you're one of the chillest people ever, it's crazy that you of all people would get snapped at.

i hate most people who work at retail stores, they have such attitudes and you can tell that they just don't want to be there.

whenever you go to japan, you will be amazed by how good the customer service is.

they can learn alot from the japanese.

I don't trust sales-people to answer questions about the products. I try to do my research online to get the information I need before I buy.

yeah seriously.. I went to the Levis store and asked if they had any raw denim. One guy looks at me like "you mean the colour is raw or the actual denim?" I said denim. He asks another guy and he said "at the back of the store." So he takes me to the back and shows me a pair of Skinners in this wash:

l_BS005558509_6b17b.jpg

dumbass.

I was there at the manhatten dior store on both sat and sun attempting to pick up a pair of Japanese 21cm's for high_contrast and actually found the service quite good! I had the sales dude run around for me getting sizes and letting me try on shit and he seemed very pleased to help. Though, when I asked if they had any of the Italian made jeans he claimed that Dior never made any to begin with...

i haven't seen any italian raw jeans in the NYC store, i don't really care where the denim is from particuarly but i do look when i have bought the jeans, the end of the issue is you're not buying DH jeans because the denim is fabulous you're buying the jeans because you can't get the cut anywhere else (19cm at least, maybe the 21's cut are available in other brands)

The cut between the Japanese and Italian made jeans is amazingly different, which makes the salesman ignorance/irritability all the more shitty.

I don't trust sales-people to answer questions about the products. I try to do my research online to get the information I need before I buy.

I do that too....i normally just ignore sales people even if they say hi :P. But if its a hot chick ill give 110% attention haha im such an ass.

404, speaking of sales staff who don't know shit...get this, i was getting a suit tailored in Hong Kong, it was practically bespoke and the guy seemed to know what he was doing with the measurements and taking down my specs...then i asked him if the suit was going to be fused or canvassed, he didn't have a clue what i was talking about! How does someone spend decades in the tailoring business without knowing that is beyond me...maybe he just didn't know the Chinese term for it. Either way, the suit came out alright but it was fused...

I'm actually born in HK. I'm guessing that he just didn't know what the terms meant, maybe if you asked 'do you use glue?' or something simple like that, he'll understand.

Personally, I'm real anal about where things are made. I basically only buy things made in Japan, Italy, France and England. I found that with these countries, they still pride themselves on the quality of products. Although some say some things may mark made in Italy, but in fact are made in China, however, I believe you can see the difference from the craftmanship, the seams, the stitching and so on in a quality product.

^^Yeah I think there is some kind of loophole if a certain percentage is made in Italy, possibly fabric/accessories etc then constructed in china? Don't quote me on that, its just something I heard once

Guest Fade to Black

Personally, I'm real anal about where things are made. I basically only buy things made in Japan, Italy, France and England. I found that with these countries, they still pride themselves on the quality of products. Although some say some things may mark made in Italy, but in fact are made in China, however, I believe you can see the difference from the craftmanship, the seams, the stitching and so on in a quality product.

I don't necessarily agree with this. The whole 'made in...' phrase is pretty open in its use and interpretation. For example, many designer items are actually almost fully made in places such as China, Hong Kong, etc...and then just shipped to Italy, France, etc. for the final finishes, such as sewing on of label, etc. With the current amounts of designer goods being produced, obviously Italy wouldn't have the manpower to complete so many goods of equal quality in the space and time it has, so the finishing touches are done there, and the 'made in italy' is simply added as it supposedly provides some psychological comfort for the customer, since that's apparently a guarantee of quality for some. I know for a fact many Italian houses have outsourced their manufacturing to China, as I grew up around people in the garment industry, including my parents.

Made in Japan is usually actually made in japan, i've noticed...certain craftsmanship techniques used there seem to have become signatures, especially noticeable with denim products. Also made in China isn't necessarily a bad thing...i have a s/s 06 yohji yamamoto cardigan that says it was made in China on the tag, the quality is far superior to the mediocre 'made in italy' knits Prada is producing.