Threadless Tees

bobo

they used to have a greater diversity of designs...now it seems they focus on bright colorful vector illustrations with silly/ironic themes...every so often a nice shirt gets printed though. basically theres millions of tshirts available on the internet and threadless has become just another store

it's easy to hate on threadless now, hell, i do it all the time.

but when it first started it was pretty cool, an original business concept that came out with one shirt a month. i will say loud and proud that i own the original "flowers in the attic" shirt.

keep in mind that this was like four years ago. pre-supertalk. they were a lot more legitimate back then, with pretty timely designs that were a lot cheaper than anything else.

of course in the last couple years they have really went backwards in regards to the art direction of pieces chosen for printing, and how many new designs they print.

they do a whole line of clever slogan t-shirts now, that should tell you a lot about the walmartization of the brand.

about the only shirts of mine from threadless i wear lately are my old simple records one by Build and the "NYC subway map of the human heart" one.

wow. what do we think about their other company naked & angry. i think they have some dope ties. they're not inexpensive but hey. opinions, comments, criticisms?

listthumb.jpglistthumb.jpglistthumb.jpg

Those are very nice ties, I like the pink and white one, if only I could force Erik into it.

i'm so sick of threadless. its a great concept, but it has flooded every design board i read with people posting about their design and telling you to vote for it. plus, there have been few designs in the past year that arent' garbage... mainly justin kay's and a few others.

i like the naked&angry idea. baskew did one of them.

i have 5 threadless tees from last year and this, and i'd agree the quality of the hanes tees aren't so good. kind of rough-ish cotton. but not all the prints are bad, some are quite clever. the fit is okay, i wear a guys' M and the length is a bit short but the hem is just wide enough to fit straight onto my new standards, which is a good thing.

meh.

I liked them when they launched because there was no one else I knew about in the t-shirt "game". For my money, the Uniqlo artist series shirts are 1) not only better and more varied designs but 2) are printed on better shirts with better ink.

If T-shirts were Italian restaurants, Threadless would be the Olive Garden.

now that's funny:D

it's hard to please everybody, ya know? i'm not so sure if threadless was meant to be like a trend setting label or just a design comp. still, it's easier to criticize/destroy than advise/re-build. kinda like it's easy to annihilate a country but harder to put it back together again...ahem ahem:D

i think as far as giving designers an opportunity to get certain types of designs out to the public, threadless does an awesome job. still, if they plan to be some sort of chi-town fashion house...they definitely have their work cut out for them.

Haven't checked the site in a while but I kinda like 'em. Loads of garbage, maybe even more than with a regular company, due to the way the graphics are selected, but if you search a little you can find some very interesting stuff. Their tees are cheaply made but the fit is good on me, I especially like how I get to show some belt after a few washings.

They lack a defined, identifiable identity and artistic direction but, again due to their business model, that is to be expected.

I'll try to post links to some of my tees when I visit their site again.

The only title I remember is "flowers in the attic"

You get like $2000 for having your shirt printed now.

Are you serious? I have a whole list of threadless ideas I thought up with some friends while I was baked recently, They print such weird shit I figured at least one of them would go through.

I used to think a few of their shirts were cool before I knew they came from "the internet." Remember Afternoon Delight, the unicorns fucking? I thought this one kid had great taste in t-shirts until I found out he got it from threadless, along with 20 others. I mean, I shouldn't have been surprised, it had to come from somewhere, but still... it's somehow disappointing.

Are you serious? I have a whole list of threadless ideas I thought up with some friends while I was baked recently, They print such weird shit I figured at least one of them would go through.

I used to think a few of their shirts were cool before I knew they came from "the internet." Remember Afternoon Delight, the unicorns fucking? I thought this one kid had great taste in t-shirts until I found out he got it from threadless, along with 20 others. I mean, I shouldn't have been surprised, it had to come from somewhere, but still... it's somehow disappointing.

That's a retarded reason not to like a perfectly decent shirt.

Here are some threadless tees I have, and obviously like:

http://www.threadless.com/product/231/Who_I_Am

(I like the lower placement of the design)

http://www.threadless.com/product/237/Ask_Me_How_I_Became_A_Pirate

This one is silly...

http://www.threadless.com/product/242/B_F_F_Best_Friends_Forever

http://www.threadless.com/product/226/Nothing

Looks even better faded...

http://www.threadless.com/product/206/Lemuria

My favorite threadless design, check this guy's work, especially his "blackflood" designs

http://www.threadless.com/product/114/Flowers_in_the_Attic

Pretty much everyone bought this one....

If you wait for the tees to be $10 (a must) threadless is a great place to get some nice designs. I mean look at what dior releases for like $200 a pop, the graphics are pretty much hit or MISS too...