what belts with denim?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One day I'll get myself a decent leather belt, but it's a lot of effort for someone with a 26 inch waist and a lot of money for an impoverished music student. So mostly coloured fabric belts to match whatever I'm wearing, with nice skate style buckles that adjust to my size :)

Really need to wash them though, the pale ones are covered in indigo stains...

I have had a few belts over the past few years but I have to say that the best one I ever got and still have to this day is a black leather belt that I got at a cop/security uniform shop. I have had it for about 10 years now and could safely say that Ill have it for another 5 at least. I had to recolor it once and one of the snaps popped of but its still a great belt. I have a brown one that I got at a thrift shop for 2 bucks that seems to be of the same make and quality but Im more of a black belt kind of guy.

Is this a quality belt guys > http://tw.f3.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/c25070092?u=kurt_1014 I cant read a lick of that ..

I found a few VERY heavy gauge , not bonded leather - solid leather belts with nice solid construction and buckles at TJ Maxx recently for less than $20 USD ..

worth a look if youre not in the mood to pay $100 + for handcrafted

• 6 months later...
hehehe, I have this argument with my gf all the time, by not buying a leather the cows will still be dead and the leather belt still in the shop when it could be put to good use. Dont wanna start an argument, just my opinion. Speaking of.........

http://world.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=ja_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fitem.rakuten.co.jp%2fbears%2fsamuraijeans-a101%2f

hell yes, me want.

Don't wanna start an arguement either viv, but havn't you ever heard of supply and demand?

Don't wanna start an arguement either viv, but havn't you ever heard of supply and demand?

I think you need to re-read his response to rome1. They're not talking about supply and demand but rather viv's GF's perspective on animal rights. I believe she views killing cows for their hides as a bad thing.

deadpan is saying that the principles of supply and demand applied to leather will prove that more cows will be killed to make more belts etc. if someone picks up that belt etc. from the leather store

im assuming

I assumed so as well. But note that viv already nods to the principles of supply and demand when he says "the cows will still be dead and the leather belt still in the shop."

I assumed so as well. But note that viv already nods to the principles of supply and demand when he says "the cows will still be dead and the leather belt still in the shop."

Yeah but if said person buys that belt (sitting in the shop), another belt will have to take it's place, therefore, at some point the consumer is directly effecting the demand of the hide. Maybe i'm reading it wrong but I thought viv was saying that it's not gonna make a difference either way? Most purchaces that are made with a moral standpoint have a bigger picture in mind, therefore, of course you're not gonna save the cow on the shelf, but you're gonna kill another one to replace what you buy. It's just simple logic as far as i'm concerned. No hate though, and buy what you want, but you gotta accept that everything you buy is part of a chain. Recycling/end of product life is one end (no pun intended) of the line, and production is the other.

deadpan - I understand your point, and if everyone made a stand then some companys may go out of business and so some leatherys (sp?) may have excess stock and so some cows may not be turned to leather if they are not just bought by another leathery.....

My argument ( the one quoted ) was just my (false) justification to my girl. To be honest- if I do or dont buy leather, it really would not make any difference. However I know the statement becomes hollower if the "I" is exchanged for a "we".

In effect, we both have a valid point. Mine based on pretty subjective/singular premise. Yours on more objective/collective premise.

My personal opinion though, I will happily visit a tannery/farm or wherever and pick my cow for a set of shoes or a belt. I think its death is worth it. Im not a vegan and so when I eat meat or use leather etc I respect that an animal has dyed for my purpose. But, hell im worth it, I wear selvedge and the cow doesnt.

This is from the zipangu on the sugarcane belt. does this sound about right for the people who own the belt? Does a tagged 34 measure 34 according to this diagram? Thanks, sorry about the dumb question with obvious answer. Just thought I'd get my dumb question in since someone bumped a year old post ;)

belt01.gif

My personal opinion though, I will happily visit a tannery/farm or wherever and pick my cow for a set of shoes or a belt. I think its death is worth it. Im not a vegan and so when I eat meat or use leather etc I respect that an animal has dyed for my purpose. But, hell im worth it, I wear selvedge and the cow doesnt.

I almost spit my drink out when I read this. You, my fellow Team R.W.K. member, are too fuckin' funny.

This is from the zipangu on the sugarcane belt. does this sound about right for the people who own the belt? Does a tagged 34 measure 34 according to this diagram? Thanks, sorry about the dumb question with obvious answer. Just thought I'd get my dumb question in since someone bumped a year old post ;)

belt01.gif

I just got mine in this afternoon. I ordered a 40. Using the Zipangu method, it measures just about 40.5 in. from the front of the buckle to the middle hole.

http://www.eleatherworks.com/product.php?productid=17680&cat=296&page=1

I bought that, a 5/32 belt hole punch, and a pint of pure neatsfoot oil from them for like 27 dollars shipped. I measured out where I wanted the holes, then using my old belt I spaced them perfectly and cut them out. Finally i used my old belt to mark where the end went and cut it down to size... I love it so much more because I made it myself