Superfuture Movie Club

jackg

ok i have capitulated and simply made a second dropbox folder which will mirror the contents of the original folder. 

If you are not a member of the dropbox shoot me another pm and i'll add you to the new folder. 

I feel this is probably the simplest way for the time being. 

• 3 weeks later...

I also saw it a while ago and really did not enjoy it, if I was in theatres I would have walked out 30 minutes in. Since I was at home with my girlfriend and a friend we just made jokes until it ended. Perhaps this is not my type of film but the only thing I felt was nausea (at the Team America length sex scene) and boredom (at about everything else). The one thing I did like that I only realized in discussion after the film ended was how the director seemed intentional in his obliviousness of the "gender issue" that this narrative created. Not to say that I don't agree with how some people felt offended by that portrayal of a group, but mostly I found it interesting how someone could have an opportunity to really bring up certain arguments and instead just let that go and make a movie. 

Actually, Maybe that choice was the argument, how he didn't feel he had to create a movie for lesbians to give that group a role models or whatever and instead created a story that was passable as a "hetero" film to show that we are all the same blah blah.

For example the fact that you could have swapped out any character for the opposite sex takes away from the idea of hetero being the norm and homo being the other. By not arguing anything specifically he is letting the story (and therefor the characters (in this case minority ones)) not compare to something "normal".

Definitely open to discussion on this one.

All that to say I wouldn't watch it again.

surprised the holy mountain hasn't been mentioned nominated for this club 

hahah well played. i am not opposed to this at all. 

anyone else watched blue yet? i haven't had a chance but hopefully this week. 

So i watched blue this weekend since it was up on netflix and I think it was far superior than all the movies up for best picture nom, and definitely better than 12 years a slave. I do have a thing for foreign films however and this movie is a perfect example of why. Everything about European cinema seems more real to me; it lacks that layer of hollywood-ness that domestic films seem to have. When watching this movie nothing seems faked or forced, little makeup is used on the actors, and the graphic nature of the sex scenes makes it all the more genuine. The acting in this film was superb, especially the young Adele Exarchopoulos who plays the main character. After watching this movie I did some research and it was really interesting how the director cast her and what specifically compelled him to give her the part (look it up if you have the time). I'll get off my soapbox now but after only enjoying a handful of movies this year, this one was very refreshing, check this one out guys.

• 2 weeks later...

time to move on? 

if anyone's got any ideas, pls. post! 

yes indeed! any suggestions?

I am moving house over the weekend so might not have a huge amount of "bandwidth" until my new internet connection gets sorted. 

• 1 month later...