John Galliano Denim - opinions?

mickawes

Any info on the quality of Gallianos denim?

I tried on a pair of dry jeans which I must say were pretty friggen awesome! Mens Saks in Frisco sold out of size 30 dry Diors and I saw the Gallianos and noticed how stiff and rough they were.

I dont know what model it was or anything, but it was kinda bowlegged and had a long inseam and each leg was made of 4 pieces of denim. It had strips of denim encapsulating the crotch and buttocks (sounds gay but it looked fuckin tough in my opinion) and the backpockets were hidden and really low.

They were so stiff tho, im not sure if they were treated or not. The denim looked as slubby as the japanese diors, if not more. Italian made though.

Which is why I started this thread. I heard the Italian Diors were noticeably inferior to the Japanese ones, and since Galliano WAS Dior, I figured it might be the same jazz.

Um... Also, they were 430 bucks instead of 300 which the diors cost. I like em both, same kinda cut, cant make up my mind. Theyre just something different.

Opinions?

PS. Heres the only pic I could find of the cut. Imagine this in dry denim, and minus the open fly:

00170m.jpg

Edit

And another pic, same cut, different material.

00370m.jpg

Saw them in person in SF Saks. Looked totally awful imho. seriously, the codpiece thing is ridiculous. That would look terrible always.

The bowlegged thing is interesting, and I think there's a few Japanese brands that are doing this, but I haven't really seen it in person so I dunno if it would actually look good.

There are much better jeans you can get for $450, imho.

I am always the first to flame Galliano for the gay man-whore style, but one thing I will give him is that his garments are very high quality, including jeans. Actually, I've been having great success selling it on Ebay - a lot of people want them. I recently bought a pair for myself, the quitest-looking piece I could find. They are drainpipes, and they bunch up so much better than Diors. Here is a picture form Ebay (I am not the seller) in blue (mine are gray).

pipe1.jpg

pipe3.jpg

pipe6.jpg

BTW, for future reference, the ones you tried are called "banana" cut, because of legs slightly resembling banana shape. Another distinguishing thing about Galliano's jeans is what's called the "Napoleon" pocket (from Napoleon habit to stick his arm half away into the fold of his jacket) - and on the jeans it's right on the crotch. Girls dig it ;-)

i think the reason for the high price has everything to do with galliano's ego, which is boundless, as opposed to having anything to do with the actual denim quality, which is good but not fantastic. right now galliano is trying to prove that he can do menswear just as well if not better than slimane, and part of that is making his more expensive simply so that people think it's better quality...it's not.

no, i've never met galliano, so I suppose I can't really say how big his ego is...but look at his runway shows, especially dior couture, and tell me he doesn't have ego.

just my impression...been following dior and galliano for a while, and this is what I've noticed.

and like i said his denim...nice stuff...but not worth the price.

i think the reason for the high price has everything to do with galliano's ego, which is boundless, as opposed to having anything to do with the actual denim quality, which is good but not fantastic. right now galliano is trying to prove that he can do menswear just as well if not better than slimane, and part of that is making his more expensive simply so that people think it's better quality...it's not.

Meh. Dior Homme is no longer a measuring stick for quality garment. Those days are over, bud - they ended with Luster. It is now a mass-market brand.

Meh. Dior Homme is no longer a measuring stick for quality garment. Those days are over, bud - they ended with Luster. It is now a mass-market brand.

i wasn't arguing that, i fully agree, all i'm saying is that i think galliano is trying to prove that he can do a real menswear line, since slimane took over the dior homme line from him and suddenly it was a mass-market brand, something galliano never was able to do. so now he's trying to do the same thing...only "better."

The Jeans that I tried on at Saks have absolutely no distinguishing marks on the outside of the denim, which is why I thought they were cool. I agree about the egotistic things and over the top branding on most products.

And Minya, yea they look ugly as shit off, but once theyre on they fit pretty much perfectly (if not a bit too good, my ass looked like someone chiseled it from stone) and look alright. My buddy pressured me to try them on for comedic value but I actually liked them and kinda killed the joke.

These do bunch up tons better than Diors.

I really wanted to know if anyone knows how the Gallianos fade (especially the strip around the ass and crotch (which would look really bad if it stayed darker and didnt crease when the rest of the jean is bright blue), and whether the quality of the denim and construction can justify 450 bucks.

i wasn't arguing that, i fully agree, all i'm saying is that i think galliano is trying to prove that he can do a real menswear line, since slimane took over the dior homme line from him and suddenly it was a mass-market brand, something galliano never was able to do. so now he's trying to do the same thing...only "better."

I don't know, I don't see it. All I see is an ego-maniac saying that he can produce whatever he pleases and it'll sell just because his name is on it... which is pretty much the case at this point. He is launching a diffusion line, so maybe he'll try to catch some of the mass market with it.

Mickawes, you are not the first surprised how a banana cut can fit beautifully - it's just one of those sartorial mysteries. In Saks they will probably easily go on sale - you can wait.

faust... would you take a picture of yourself wearing the jeans? I really want to see the "banana legs" in effect. Now you've got me curious. The salesman at Saks (Scott, very nice guy) showed them to me, and I took one look and went "uh, no thanks" due to the codpiece. I still don't think I'd ever wear them, but I'd like to see them in action.

faust... would you take a picture of yourself wearing the jeans? I really want to see the "banana legs" in effect. Now you've got me curious. The salesman at Saks (Scott, very nice guy) showed them to me, and I took one look and went "uh, no thanks" due to the codpiece. I still don't think I'd ever wear them, but I'd like to see them in action.

Actually, mine are not banana cut :-) . I can snap a picture to show you how nicely tmine bunch up, great for tucking into boots. Let me see if I can dig a picture out on the web for the banana ones.

<edit>

dug some out, but they are from Luisa via Roma, who has the worst styling in the world - I don't these pics will turn you on, lol.

0007.JPG

0004.JPG

sorry to digress from the actual topic...but..

they sell dior homme jeans at the saks in sf?

do they have alot of sizes or is it just 3-4 pairs or something like that...

sorry about this..didnt think it was worthy enough for a new thread..

Even if they don't, the NYC Saks has a crapload of them, especially the raw jeans, and they will gladly ship them to you, just ask a sales associate - it's part of their job.

Faust you ledgend!

Those are them. They looked alot darker in person, really dark indigo. And the little crotch ribbon thing is removeable (at least, it would be removed if I got them).

They do look pretty D&Gish from those pics, especially with the super high white boots and gold chain...

I love the back pockets though. When I first figured them out I was all "whooaaahhhh". Hmmm... I didnt notice how twisted it looked before... I think theyre still pretty tough, especially the fit.

Faust you ledgend!

You ain't seen nothing yet ;-) Joking (kinda). Cool. Yea, disregard the hideous styling (unless you are planning to travel to Milan). I've seen them in person, and I think a lot of people will be turned away by how they look on the rack, which should play into your hands. Another thing with an item like that is that you will still sell it after a year of wear for a couple of hundred...

sorry to digress from the actual topic...but..

they sell dior homme jeans at the saks in sf?

do they have alot of sizes or is it just 3-4 pairs or something like that...

sorry about this..didnt think it was worthy enough for a new thread..

yes, they should have quite a few. Talk to Scott, he knows a lot about them.

if by any chance you're a size 32 and want a pair of the 19cm Japanese raw indigo jeans, talk to me -- I'll sell them for $50 less than Saks is charging.

Thanks for the offer Minya, but Im looking for a size 30. Is scott the skinny dude with the glasses? Hes the one who was helping me, seemed really knowledgable (sp?). I would have bought the waxed ones if it wasnt for him, I couldnt tell the difference.

0004.JPG

these are horrorshow!...it draws far too much attention to places that every man should naturally be cautious of ... you might aswell shove a zucchini down your pants while you rock these things ... definitely one for the insecure exhibitionists out there

...the actual denim doesnt look half bad tho

Thanks for the offer Minya, but Im looking for a size 30. Is scott the skinny dude with the glasses? Hes the one who was helping me, seemed really knowledgable (sp?). I would have bought the waxed ones if it wasnt for him, I couldnt tell the difference.

yeah, that's Scott... very skinny, thin glasses, voice like Owen Wilson. Haha. Really nice guy.

these are horrorshow!...it draws far too much attention to places that every man should naturally be cautious of ... you might aswell shove a zucchini down your pants while you rock these things ... definitely one for the insecure exhibitionists out there

...the actual denim doesnt look half bad tho

I have nothing to hide. And im positive that insecure exhibitionists is some sort of oxymoron.

:-p

Guest Fade to Black

Galliano's production techniques and quality that go into the garment is amazing - especially in the jeanswear that I've seen - overall miles ahead of Dior Homme as faust has mentioned. It's a shame the aesthetic doesn't suit me at all, but I gotta respect the craftsmanship.

• 2 weeks later...