good hip hop

jay electronica is sick....killer wordplay, i like what i've heard so far

thanks for the link, was missing a couple of those tracks.

I've been feeling some of his tracks a lot, good stuff. Eternal Sunshine is dope as hell.

dude is sick... +rep.

I haven't downloaded new hip-hop in a while, I'm still listening to little brother/aesop rock/mf doom/saigon/shit like that, what should I check out? I'm downloading some papoose and some UGK right now (UGK is like my guilty pleasure, I love that shit) but I wanna see what else has come up in the past couple years. Somebody made a post that pretty much answers this but I don't want just names, I wanna know what's worth a dl.

try cool calm pete. he's on definitive jux (same label as aesop). I'm assuming you know of, or have tried Cage and El-P.

new Ghostface is out, you should check that out.

It's fucking sad that no emcee can capture the magic from Lightworks! Tips and Bustas verses are terrible and Kwelis is just ok. That's my fav beat from Donuts and I want a nice emcee to rip it into pieces!

(regarding the added Busta verse off Dillagence)

New Ghost is pretty hot BUT....

I found the new Styles record alot more impressive.

One things for sure though....Ghostface, Styles, and Beans have real good chemistry working together. When Sigel's on man.....Watch out.

RBW HUG ME NO HOMO.

I don't think anyone else likes beans.

never bothered to listen to styles though, just jada really.

also, what is the future of this music? is it going to be a return to previous states (like MC/toasting or whateve), continuing the tired trends (crack rap, bling blang, dancy dancy housey housey [already dying], i'm "smart" and need to teach you) or what?

Crack rap has been around since '94, at a minimum. Run-D.M.C. talked about gold ropes with their Lee jeans and Adidas twenty years ago. I don't know about "housey" rap (grime?), but hip hop started as club/dance music, and some of what KRS-One has been saying his entire career makes modern smart cats like Lupe Fiasco look downright dumb and humble.

Anyway... recent releases from Freeway, Beans, Jay-Z, Styles P and Scarface mean a LOT to just how 2007 will look for hip hop. If those four big names can give the year a strong finish by big-label/mainstreamed rap artists, building on what UGK and TI among others have already done, I'll feel pretty damn good about the direction of the music.

On one side you'll always have people like Huey and Soulja Boy for the masses, and El-P and Hell Razah for teh intraweb tubes and underground (and people like Kanye and Ghostface, who mix whiteboy fandom with mainstream respect sales and success). But those four sort of represent a middle ground - if they sell well and make good music, I'll be very happy.

Quick rundown of ratings for this year's albums:

Blue & Exile - Below The Heavens (7.5/10)

Cam'Ron - Public Enemy #1 (7/10)

Common - Finding Forever (6/10)

Consequence - Don't Quit Your Day Job! (6.5/10)

The Cool Kids - Totally Flossed Out EP (7.5/10)

Corrmega - Who Am I? (8/10)

Ghostface - The Big Doe Rehab (8.5/10)

Hell Razah - Renaissance Child (7.5/10)

Hell Razah - Razah's Ladder (8/10)

Jay-Z - American Gangster (9/10)

Kanye West - Graduation (9.5/10)

M.I.A. - Kala (8/10)

Pharoahe Monch - Desire (8/10)

Prodigy - Return Of The Mac (7.5/10)

Rich Boy - Rich Boy (6.5/10)

UGK - Underground Kingz (8/10)

A lot of "bad" stuff simply got quickly deleted, and isn't reflected here. Haven't played through TI, Talib Kweli, or Little Brother enough yet to assess.

On my list (and hard drive) to play next: new Wu, Mistah F.A.B., DJ Drama, and Brother Reade.

How are you gonna give Rich Boy more than Common? Seriously...off of principle alone.

I agree with RBW...I was just tellin' my boy how tough the new Styles-P shit is. The joint with Ray-J is only suspect track (commercial attempt) on there...that's just cause of Ray-J. All in all, the album is exactly what you've wanted to hear from SP...hard street shit...with emotion.

I haven't checked the Ghost yet...about to go out and cop both Ghost and SP's shit though...I had to peep the leaked SP joint due to the recent mixtape'y releases he's put out. Wanted to make sure this was a REAL album. Ghost will be copped by default.

I still need to peep Beans' jawn...but if it's anything like his last efforts...i'm at the record store the day it comes out. Beans is dumb nice...as is most of State Prop.

Free's record, from what I've heard so far, is pretty damn great. He simplified his rhyme patterns a little, but still is running circles around most of these mixtape/mainstream rappers who people hail as "lyrical."

New Ghost is pretty hot BUT....

I found the new Styles record alot more impressive.

One things for sure though....Ghostface, Styles, and Beans have real good chemistry working together. When Sigel's on man.....Watch out.

Shit yeah...add Kool G Rap to that (and Rae) and you got the hardest out. Pause.

Not to drive away from the Pimp C tragedy...

But that Young Chris mixtape is dumb impressive...I used to be a huge Chris fan back in the old SP and Young Guns days...sorta lost interest after the 2nd Young Guns album...but I've been hearing some great shit from that kid since then...esp. with this "Newsprint" mixtape. The shit he did with G Rap and Just Blaze was crazy as well.

Peedi needs to drop another mixtape or his album for cryin' outloud.

To ALL the Beans fans:

I dunno if I'ma cop or not...

Just listened to the Beans shit right now...and I can say that the beginning isn't really too kosher...the R Kelly track still kills me, shit is wild corn. The album really starts off with the Styles P joint...but that's on the Styles album as well (which isa much better album overall). It kinda remains shakey until the second half...where it picks up...the production sounds much like Scarface's East Coast'ish joints off of his recent work. ANother thing about this album...it reminds me of his last one that came out when he was still locked...shit has no intro...or anything "album'y" to make it more cohesive...it's just song after song.

I'm kinda mad at the overusage of keyboard beats. Beans always came off on that soulful shit...the overall feel seems rushed. "Judgement" samples "War Pigs" which is cool to hear Beans on...the beat isn't incredible beyond the sample...but it works. The biggest let down is the joint with Ghost and Peedi...on paper that shit looks killer...but the beat is probably the weirdest keyboard beat on the album...shit they coulda done Flatline Pt. 3 and rocked over the same beat a third time...instead someone thought a joint about pussy and calling it "pass the patron" was a good idea.

Unlike any of his previous albums...there aren't many OUTSTANDING songs on here...which sucks cause I feel that Beans is far from peaking...he's still dumb nice...but the album just doesn't stand up to his other efforts (negative Just Blaze/Kanye/Rza production has a lot to do with it...I said Rza cause he was supposed to have been worked with him...Cool & Dre and the Runners ain't cuttin' it).

If I had to choose stand-outs:

-"What They Gonna Say To Me" & "Go Low" (best keyboard'ish joints...they're pretty hard, he goes in)

-"Judgement" (Ozzy ain't on it...it's just a gimmick for credit's sake)

-"Rain" (w/ Scarface)

-"Prayer" (one of the only tracks that really makes this anything of an album...great closer...very SCarface'y)

-"You Ain't Ready" (w/ SP...just cause it's THAT killer...but points deducted for being on an album that came out before this one...plus they have the same fanbase pretty much)

its pretty cool that out of the last few albums I've checked out, I wasn't really expecting a whole lot but came out surprised. Freeway I've always liked, but I didnt know when the new one wasdropping so I wasn't really expecing it but it ended up being pretty solid. as for Styles, didn't like his last album, so this was a surprise as well. Beans is sounding allright as well, haven't listened very thoroughly yet.

i got the new ghost cd last night. its alright, but nowhere near as good as the last two lps he dropped. kinda dissapointed. stil better than alot of shit ive heard recently but i hold ghost to high expectations. waiting for new wu to drop.