Anyone have any experience with Paypal disputes?

Shorty Long

Here's my situation:

I sold a pair of LVCs to a guy in Italy back in May...after hounding this guy for two weeks and escalating things with Ebay he finally payed. About 10 days ago, he opened a dispute with Paypal saying that he didn't receive the jeans!! I sent them USPS air parcel and he didn't purchase insurance...

This guy has like a 70% feedback on ebay to my 100%...I didn't know what else to do after sending messages back and forth with him so I escalated the claim with Paypal so they can decide.

I've never experienced this before. What are my chances that I'm NOT going to have to refund this guy $120?

Just make sure you have all pertinent information on this transaction handy. Shipping info (provider, date sent, etc etc) and tracking numbers will be required if the claim is escalated. If youve saved all correspondence with the buyer that will also work in your favour..... He does sound a bit scammy because that seems too soon to make a claim. Paypal gives you up to 45 days after payment to make a claim.

p.s. never ship to Italy...they steal packages there...alot (both my unreceived claims were shipped to Italy)

p.s. never ship to Italy...they steal packages there...alot (both my unreceived claims were shipped to Italy)

Two of your transactions to Italy went sour, so now noone should ever ship to Italy?

If you keep your paperwork in order and the bidder does not opt for insurance, it's his/her problem. I think jumping to conclusions about Italians is inappropriate here.

Besides, they're the new world champions! ;)

i've been on the opposite end of eBay/PayPal disputes, lately. had two transactions where the sellers never got back to me after i paid via PayPal, and i never received the items. the first dispute, PayPal found the seller at fault, but they told me they couldn't get any money from the seller. so i am screwed. the second case is in the middle of a dispute right now.

blows.

i hope you didn't ship the jeans before you recieved payment. If u have no proof of shipping, you might have trouble with this one. If you can remember the date that you shipped you could try and go to the place and tell them that you are involved in this dispute and you need a cpy of the reciept, they might be able to bring it back up, cause im sure they keep a record in thier computer or something. Good Luck...

I had a similar experience. Paypal will pretty much side with the buyer unless you have some sort of tracking number. Global Express, if I'm not mistaken, is the only service you can use with USPS that offers tracking and its pretty pricey, which discourages buyers. In my case I had my reciept and a proof of mailing. I faxed both of them to paypal and went back and forth with them on email and over the phone with no success. They still refunded the buyer.

Alot of sellers put disclaimers on their auctions, "Not responsible for lost or stole items" Anyone know if such disclaimers cover you in the event of loss or theft?

If you can remember the date that you shipped you could try and go to the place and tell them that you are involved in this dispute and you need a cpy of the reciept, they might be able to bring it back up, cause im sure they keep a record in thier computer or something. Good Luck...

Can anyone confirm this? If so, I'll take off from work and head down to the PO

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I should put in my next ebaY listing, Italian bidders, bid at your own risk, I will not be responsible for stolen packages!

you need a tracking # otherwise you are out of luck, some dude ripped me off for a pair of air max 90's in germany

Two of your transactions to Italy went sour, so now noone should ever ship to Italy?

If you keep your paperwork in order and the bidder does not opt for insurance, it's his/her problem. I think jumping to conclusions about Italians is inappropriate here.

Besides, they're the new world champions! ;)

First of all I didnt jump to conclusions. Do some research...read any seller forum on ebay and ask for yourself, shipping to Italy is risky business...epecially with the more economical forms of shipping. But even with a tracking number and all the bells and whistles, if the buyer doesnt get the package Paypal might decide in the buyers favour and force you to refund them their $$$. And putting a disclaimer on your auction page itself wont make an ounce of difference. Paypal doesnt consider anything said on the auction page as binding. Just keep your receipts and always ask for a tracking number...and I still advise against shipping to Italy until they improve their end of the postal system.

With Paypal, shipping outside USA, CANADA and UK confirmed address is not guaranteed. All the buyer have to do is file a chargeback and they get their money back and there's nothing you can do to prevent that. That's why always be wary when dealing with unconfirmed address. Always check the feedbacks and see the prices of the items they have bought before. If they only bought cheap stuff and suddenly they're buying your "$999 superselvedge jeans", I would not send it.

Unfortunately, I think the others are right. Without tracking or proof of shipment (receipt), PayPal will most likely side with the buyer.

On another note, I have not had any issues shipping to Italy or any other foreign country. In fact, any lost packages, scams, etc. have been domestic shipments. If you are worried, require that EMS be used. While this doesn't completely protect you, it does provide the coveted tracking number.

My recommendation for any seller is to create a bank account specifically for PayPal. It should not be from the same institution as your main account. Try not to keep any money (or very little) in the bank or PayPal account. If someone files a dispute or chargeback, they will first try to withdraw it from your PP account. If there is no money and your PP balance is negative for a certain period of time, they'll attempt to withdraw it from your bank account.

Chicken- File a chargeback on at least your first claim. Tell your cc company that you paid for the item and did not receive it. They'll probably credit the amount to your account until the investigation is closed, which may take a few weeks. BTW, most banks will also do this if you used your debit card.

Good luck to all...

This has happened to me a few times.

Sent stuff overseas, didn't make it?, paypal dispute opened.

I just withdrew all my money from my paypal account and took my info off.

Otherwise they'll probably compensate with existing funds or even your bank account.

This is also why I only deal domestic when it comes to ebay.

Unfortunately, I think the others are right. Without tracking or proof of shipment (receipt), PayPal will most likely side with the buyer.

Remember too that this only applies if you send to USA, UK & Canada confirmed address. Other than that, Paypal won't even care no matter how many proof you have. You wont get your money back.

Chicken- File a chargeback on at least your first claim. Tell your cc company that you paid for the item and did not receive it. They'll probably credit the amount to your account until the investigation is closed, which may take a few weeks. BTW, most banks will also do this if you used your debit card.

really? thanks man, i'll get on it..