Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Whites Semi Dress or these Lone Wolfs http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.takeoff-clothing.com/shop/brand/20/1.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=3&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dlonewolf%2Bboots%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3DRis

I really like the Lone Wolfs because of the lower heel, but the whites are custom made with the option of Buffalo leather at no extra cost.. What do you guys think? They both cost about $500aud.

Hi Demonito.

Sorry i meant to paste this link,which is the Mechanic Boot. http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.takeoff-clothing.com/shop/brand/20/1.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=3&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dlonewolf%2Bboots%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3DRis

How are LW sized? US or UK sizing? Also can you order extra Cats paws when you order the boots? Which is the best site to order them from.

Thanks for any info.

i got mine from rakuten before they banned the credit cards from the states.. anyways us sizing ..same sizing as redwings.. no i doubt if you can get extra cats paws.. got to a cobbler for them.

i have the carpenter and the loggers... im very happy with lw's their around 95% perfect for me.. whites i got the semi dress with dry tanned brown toebox and water buffalo brown uppers and 269 vibram soles from stronghold. heard a lot of good things about whites need to try a pair!

Chicken: those jumpers turned out awesome great job!

Now a question to everyone... I saw on the lone wolfs that they have cats paws. but I'm sure their reproduction cats paws. Does anyone know how exact they are in actual material to the original? Are they just rubber soles that look like cats paws or am I questioning something that really shouldn't take up anyones time in questioning?

the rubber on the lw's cats paw feel different from any other rubber sole ex: like the one on the redwings ...the cats paw on the lw's are shinier and are more slippier (looking) than rw's ordinary commando sole found on their gt colelction..

Has anyone here seen the movie, Mr Brooks with Kevin Costner? Do you think that those are White's Smokejumpers that he uses as his 'killing boots?'

mb01.jpg

mb02.jpg

Those definitetly aren't Whites Smokejumpers, they look more like Georgia Loggers to me.

Chicken: those jumpers turned out awesome great job!

Now a question to everyone... I saw on the lone wolfs that they have cats paws. but I'm sure their reproduction cats paws. Does anyone know how exact they are in actual material to the original? Are they just rubber soles that look like cats paws or am I questioning something that really shouldn't take up anyones time in questioning?

Didn't I read somewhere (here?) that the cat's paws on LW boots are from an old stock of them...

Chicken, great job on the jumpers, especially all done yourself, right?

gregnyc those are absolutely beautiful. I've never really ventured into buying a pair of shoes like that, how much does something like those run for if you don't mind me asking?

They're like $700 or so...

hi gregNYC how come it would take that long? what model did you get and how much did you pay for it?

I asked Blue in Green to order them, but they don't specialize in shoes, so maybe don't have the fastest ways to get them. If I tried the proxy service, they should be able to shop around Japanese resellers and get me a pair very quickly.

Has anyone here seen the movie, Mr Brooks with Kevin Costner? Do you think that those are White's Smokejumpers that he uses as his 'killing boots?'

They look more like Georgia loggers. The natural colored midsole, and the logo stamped into the heel counter.

They aren't repros. Greg at Eddie's called someone at Vibram/Quabaug while looking for a source for Cat's Paws, and as I remember, the company said that Toyo ordered 2,000 sets of Cat's Paw soles around year 2000 from stock.

Everytime I see reference (or pictures) of White's I am interested - until I see that forsaken slanted, almost cuban, heel. Is that standard across all their boots?

They make the lace to toe dri foot outdoorsman which has a more standard vibram sole on it. No big heel. I'm not sure how far you'd be able to customize that boot with them though. Take out the waterproof liner, shorten and remove the padded collar, double leather sole... By then it's a completely different boot. The boot does look like it's on quite a different last though.

http://www.whitesboots.com/store/product.php?category=Boots&id=716

Whites Cat's Paws report - I'm not so happy with the job done by Jim's Show Repair. They stitched the soles, but with black thread not white (I didn't specify the color). I can't complain about that, and he said that very few places have the kind of heavy duty machine that can go through all that thickness. So It's OK.

But I'm unhappy that they *painted* the sides of the sole and heel a dark brown, to match the color of the uppers. Probably thought they were doing me a favor. But this served to hide the wonderful natural color of the midsole, one of the features that really makes the boots look vintage. So I took the boots to Alex, told him what I wanted. He understood immediately, but said they would proably have to trim some width off the sole and heel, because the paint/dye whatever probably soaked into the layers of leather. I was too disappointed to take pictures, but hope Alex can make them look good. I told him they were gonna be used in a photo shoot, so try to do a great job! I'll see tomorrow.......

oh man greg, that's horrible. I can't believe they would paint the soles. I agree, the lighter shade of brown on the sole is what makes them stand out. Hope they can be fixed for you.

Yeah, and after all the trouble they took to find the good Cat's Paws too! Which they did, the matching white-dot half-soles and heels. The added thickness makes the toes look less duck-like on my feet. It's a lesson for me - to be more specific about what I want and don't want done!! I hope I have something photo-worthy to show man~ana!

so im going to london in about a week, mainly for shopping and looking at shoes. i want shoes from brands or styles like alfred sargent, churchs, crockett & jones, cheaney, trickers and so on. i like the so called classic english shoes and boots.

the question is, where in england can i find the largest number of these brands within the smallest area?

i want to add i dont fancy the "designer"-collections from these brands, id like to be spared them =). also, this might not be the very best forum to ask this, but you will have to excuse me.

something like these aldens would fit me just fine: IMG_0436.jpg

(whoever has taken this picture, sorry for using it without permission but i dont know whos it is)

Yes as Greg says jermyn street.

here you can find C&J, edward green, john lobb, new & lingwood, foster & son and trickers. There is sure to be a church's somewhere nearby too, certainly on regent street which isn't too far. I think burlington arcade also has a C&J and is nearby too.

How can plal manage to be that cheap? the handgrade price in jermyn street is more like $700.....?!

How can plal manage to be that cheap? the handgrade price in jermyn street is more like $700.....?!

I don't know. I would guess there's no import duty, no sales tax on export, and they buy in huge bulk. Given how many people at Ask Andy and Styleforum buy from them, they can't be low volume.

Yeah, and after all the trouble they took to find the good Cat's Paws too! Which they did, the matching white-dot half-soles and heels. The added thickness makes the toes look less duck-like on my feet. It's a lesson for me - to be more specific about what I want and don't want done!! I hope I have something photo-worthy to show man~ana!

it reminds me of this tailor who hemmed a pair of gray pants with a red thread. taste and common sense are very difficult to account for.