Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

If you like the Galway boot, you've got to see this guy's mahogany country calf Galway boot (about halfway down the page):

http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/article/edward-green-shoes-true-heart-true-friend-to-the-dandy

They look like they've aged really well... I'd be proud to own a pair looking like that.

wow

those look nicely worn

pic for those too lazy to scroll

229t.jpg

HorseButtxCatsPaw! (trademarked! don't even try it)

IMG_0811.jpg

Nice boots Bill. I was in Stronghold on saturday. Were those the boots you were wearing?

Talking of edward green reminds me.....

Has anyone had experience of Foster and Son http://www.wsfoster.com/ ?

They are a few doors away from EG on Jermyn street and had a very nice balmoral boot in the window when I was there last.

I think their RTW has moved down a few notches recently, IIRC made by Grenson or Sargent right now. Their bespoke is great but too rich for my blood. A quick search on Ask Andy will turn up their current RTW maker.

I think their RTW has moved down a few notches recently, IIRC made by Grenson or Sargent right now. Their bespoke is great but too rich for my blood. A quick search on Ask Andy will turn up their current RTW maker.

Thanks for that. It seems the balmorals I saw may have been made by C&J as someone over at AAAC got a pair in the sale!

in case anyone was interested, i scanned a couple of sections from the edward green style sheet to give you an idea of which models were available in their more casual lines:

Well, lets see... I want the Falkirk, Galway, Olney, Shannon & Gresham. For starters at least :D

IMG_0813.jpg

Great nail pattern on the double white-dot sole! Interesting combo, rubber half sole, and leather heel (except for the rubber wedge). Is that the original heel? Looks like the Alden heel that goes with their full leather sole. Usually shoes that are made with rubber half sole have a full rubber heel. Your sole is one of those that would make me not want to wear the shoe (well, not really!).

I'm getting my White's back today or tomorrow! Hope they are as photo-worthy as these!

To me the TB is slightly wider in the forefoot area and the toe box isn't as full and tall as the Barrie.

That's the way the two look to me too. But the Alden NYC owner actually called the manager at the factory while I was there in the shop, and said the factory confirmed that the lasts are called different but are actually the same shape. One thing I am not sure about is this - to what extent does the last actually influence the shape of the entire shoe. For example, there's the contour we see from the bottom or the top of the shoe - part of what we see is due to the trim of the sole, its curves, corners and flares. This is partly because part of the sole extends outside the edge of the stitching connecting the upper. What I'm not sure of is how much the shape of the *last* controls all this, and how much is is the result of the sole outline.

My impression is that Alden's Indies and Barrie shoes are different from each other, but nevertheless both wider and rounder than their Aberdeen or Hampton lasts (the models we never talk about here!)

Son of a bitch! Looks like I will be paying royalties! These are in the mail, and they can't get here fast enough.

CigarShellIndyCatsPaw2.jpg

CigarShellIndyCatsPaw1.jpg

tmadd they look good, what model are they?

They are the Cigar Shell Indy's from Leather Soul. Greg at Eddie's Shoe Repair did the Cat's Paws for me and took those pictures. More pictures when I get the boots back (and get a camera).

They are the Cigar Shell Indy's from Leather Soul. Greg at Eddie's Shoe Repair did the Cat's Paws for me and took those pictures. More pictures when I get the boots back (and get a camera).

Was going to say shell Indy's, but then I was thinking... nah... couldn't be possible! Nice, very nice.

tmadd they look good, what model are they?

Re: redwing x jcrew.... is it just me who thinks the 875 type of redwing looks odd on that chunky vibram sole?

Yes tmadd, they do look good!

fre$co, I sort of agree on the Red Wings with the Vibram sole, but that color seems more OK. My 8146's seem OK, and good for rainy weather. My reaction is, it's mostly the 875's that ought to keep the white wedge sole.

rw.8146.splay.gif

rw.8146.sole.gif

Now here is a combination that looks strange to me. There are lots of others out there as well. Plain toe, puffy insulated look and black wedge sole. Golden Retriever 2901 waterproof work boot. No thanks!

2901-goldenretrievero_01.jpg

hahaha wtf is that!?

Yeah maybe it's just because I'm used to seeing the white wedge underneath boots of the 875 shape that makes it look odd to me. I don't think I am a big fan of the lug/commando sole look when it is very chunky and black like that. I'm not sure what I want on my trickers weatherbys when the sole wears down.

Yeah I was thinking Dainite. I think it is a good all rounder, and for English country boots there isn't a great deal of choice I suppose.

Conistons looking fantastic too.

BTW, these guys at Eddies shoe repairs must be wondering why there is a sudden rush of people wanting cat's paws on their Aldens. The power of SUFU!

I received the black Red Wing 1919s and I have to say I'm very impressed. I can't wait until they're good and "broken in"

I'll post pictures in the near future

Yeah, that'd be good to see. I don't think I've seen a photo from anyone who owns a pair of the black ones....

Now I'm starting to think about covering the bottoms of my #8 indys.

Must resist... have to keep something leather....

Damn you and your sexy cats paws!

We're going the opposite directions! I just got some Indies that I'm gonna put full leather on. And will pick up my Cat's Paw Whites tomorrow!

Damn, y'all need to chill with da Catz Pawz. Nothing beats the feel and look of leather. There is a reason they are leather-soled, it's not to save costs.

Not a fan of the rubber sole either unless it's on work or hiking boots. I don't like seeing beautiful leather soled boots covered in rubber, even worse when marked with coloured dots.

Personally, I like (and own) the Craftsman:

img6395adjustediv6.jpg

I've seriously gotten more compliments when wearing these than any other shoe I own. (Funny as I don't really wear them that often and usually end up wearing an Indy boot. I should probably start wearing them again.) I think their chisel toe is by far their most elegant last.

Same goes for me. I have the Craftsmans in 'Whisky' and I shit you not, someone comments on them every single time I wear them.......without fail. Amazing boots; I want them in every color they make them.

There are a couple of reasons I didn't buy the craftsmen even though it is a nice boot. The main one is that I love the look of the screws along the sole and the standard RM williams boot using that comes with a big heel (might have even been a cuban heel). The other is that in Sydney at least, the pointed sharp chisel toe dress shoe has been done to death over the last few years and I'm sick of seeing it, so I'm jaded. I'm guessing they discovered the multi strip chisel toe shoes are dirt cheap to make from small pieces of leather so they are everywhere. This is comming from someone that doesn't mind wearing a big chunky square toed boot once in a while. :rolleyes:

You can get custom made Craftsmans with any type of sole/heel/leather/last you want for a pretty reasonable price. Check out Nungar or Bootsonline. Regarding the chisel-toes, have you seen them in person? The 'square' shape is extremely subtle; grouping them in the same category as square-toed abominations by Mark Nason or Kenneth Cole adorned by poorly dressed 20-somethings worldwide is incorrect. Generally, I hate anything that isn't pointed or rounded, but the RM Williams chisel toe is so elegant and understated that I can't imagine anyone wanting their RMs made on any other last. If you want them uber-slim, you can always order them in a different width as well.