Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

another potential with speedhooks- in my experience they have a greater tendency to shred laces. well, I shouldn't say "shred", but laces last not quite as long when twanged and mangled over the hooks instead of slid smoothly through eyelets. of course such a comparison depends entirely on the speedhooks and eyelets in question, but in general I think it's a safe bet.

Good point about the laces shredding - on my Crockett & Jones Conistons, the laces have shredded after about 6 months around the first hook, which carries most of the tension. And these are OEM laces too. I'm replacing them with old-skool waxed cylindrical laces. Photo later.

Cotton Duck - about speedhooks - just my own preference here, but if I had the choice on a given pair of boots, I'd prefer not to have speedhooks. They catch on my pant cuffs. In several pairs of boots, I'm thinking of getting speedhooks changed to regular lace-holes.

I have the same problem, but usually when I'm taking off my boots. :)

another potential with speedhooks- in my experience they have a greater tendency to shred laces.

On my Shannon boot, I'm about to shred through a set of laces after 10 wearings. No speedhooks on the boot. On my boots with speedhooks, the laces have held up much better. Not to mention that they're a whole lot easier to put on.

On my Shannon boot, I'm about to shred through a set of laces after 10 wearings. No speedhooks on the boot. On my boots with speedhooks, the laces have held up much better. Not to mention that they're a whole lot easier to put on.
of course such a comparison depends entirely on the speedhooks and eyelets in question.

I've had similar experiences as you though, an old pair of redwings I had as work boots years ago would perpetually break down within the lacing, well below the speedhooks, between two eyelets. no idea why. Mostly I find it to be the other way around, if that's not true for you, I'd love to know what your boots with speedhooks are, as I often prefer the look, depending on the boot.

the tongue on my alden 405s keeps sliding down the side of the boot. will alden in NYC sew a tongue loop? if not, are there any other cobblers that you can recommend in NYC?

That happens to me too sometimes. Not sure whether the Alden shop is set up to do this. They usually recommend the cobbler almost across the street for work on Aldens:

Alex Shoe Repair

49 E 44TH St

New York, NY 10017

Phone: (212) 682-4579

They do pretty good work, and they know Alden shoes quite well. Alden recommends them if you want commando soles put on your 405s (which I've never done)

That happens to me too sometimes. Not sure whether the Alden shop is set up to do this. They usually recommend the cobbler almost across the street for work on Aldens:

Alex Shoe Repair

49 E 44TH St

New York, NY 10017

Phone: (212) 682-4579

They do pretty good work, and they know Alden shoes quite well. Alden recommends them if you want commando soles put on your 405s (which I've never done)

yep, pretty good shoe repair shop

been using them for a few years now

I've got some Lone Wolf Carpenters on order thru Blue in Green. I have no idea whether the 9.5 will fit, we'll see. I was gonna try their Mechanic, but the 1911s have satisfied the urge for that design - for now. However if the LW Carpenters are super comfortable, then I'll spring for the Mechanics. The 1911s look great, but my foot slips in them. Gonna give them another break-in attempt about now!

does anyone here as the Lonewolf Loggers? I'm tempted by them but they sure are some massive pair of boots. I wonder how they look like when worn; fit pics anyone?

is there a danger in using black shoe polish on a pair of new indys? i like the dark red-ish color of the old leather styles and thought some black kiwi might get it closer. looks good so far!

why not use cordovan or dark brown instead of the black?...but i would not risk it with black, i will just let it age naturally ...and it will get redish after scratch over time

why not use cordovan or dark brown instead of the black?...but i would not risk it with black, i will just let it age naturally ...and it will get redish after scratch over time

The closer you can match the color, the more natural and less two-tone the color gradient will look. Crockett & Jones recommends burnishing with the same color polish. Find an area that is convex like the seams, or the outside edges along the baby toe, or the toe bubble in front. Then polish fast and light, much much more than the surrounding areas. I use a lightweight nylon stocking. Make sure there are several coats of polish underneath, or you can actually burn the leather. It's how I did these:

skye.front.good.gif

Thrift store finds.

Check out the shifter mod and the irons; great for wood floors:

ebay228.jpg

ebay229.jpg

Bought these at $2 a pair at the mormon thrift store. They had a cart full, and these were the ones in my size. Military surplus, unworn and made sometime in the 1970s by the Addison Shoe co. Steel toes and leather lined. I think these were made for the Air Force, but not sure. They sort of remind me of the shoes mailmen wear. I have been wearing the pair on the left:

ebay231.jpg

My Alden Indy's laces cut in half the first month but they cut below the speed laces.

I just tied them back together...

i think i have about five extra pairs of indy laces lying around because i go through them very quickly.

anyone tried the banana polish?

no way! has anyone really tried this?

I've got some Lone Wolf Carpenters on order thru Blue in Green. I have no idea whether the 9.5 will fit, we'll see. I was gonna try their Mechanic, but the 1911s have satisfied the urge for that design - for now. However if the LW Carpenters are super comfortable, then I'll spring for the Mechanics. The 1911s look great, but my foot slips in them. Gonna give them another break-in attempt about now!

greg, i've tried the lone wolfs while i was visiting japan. iirc, they were about the same size as the semi dress. their standard width is actually E, so i have a feeling you wouldn't have too much trouble with the fit. looking forward to getting your impressions about them.

Batorizer - The Indies look good. What did you use to polish them? Doesn't look like brown polish...

Chicken - Glad to hear the Lone Wolfs are E width. The RW 1911's feel more comfortable with each wearing. Gotta lace them up tight to minimize slippage.