Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I don't think anyone has mentioned this here, but Alden of Carmel has black shell Indy boots on commando sole:

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/Shoes-Black_Indy_Boot_210.htm

It is also worth pointing out though that Tom at LeatherSoul has offered them as well, but on double leather sole (I believe):

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/2007/12/24/alden-shoes-the-leather-soul-indy-boot/

Anybody ever seen/tried the AF64 at Alden of Carmel? Looks like it could either be great or just like a low-budget hiking boot. I would post a pic, but I don't think it would really clarify anything.

indigo_junkie has a pair.

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=451326&postcount=2705

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=482313&postcount=2800

thelion1856 also has a pair:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=256967&postcount=1103

There are other posts, but I can't find them right now.

maybe i am the only one who wishes alden would stop with all the commando sole boots. in my opinion throws off the proportion of the boot. makes it look extremelly bottom heavy, chunky and..well...cheap.

damn those are nice......very tempting.........i love aldens commando sole.......

maybe i am the only one who wishes alden would stop with all the commando sole boots. in my opinion throws off the proportion of the boot. makes it look extremelly bottom heavy, chunky and..well...cheap.

Nope... I am somewhat in agreement. My preference for boots is a nice double leather sole. But it's not really Alden that is doing it, but rather Adam Knott at Alden of Carmel. It seems to me that commando sole is rare for any other Alden retailer to order. Alden's just fulfilling the special orders.

Alden's commando sole boots have one of the most subtle soles of that kind available. The pictures on Alden of Carmel don't do them justice, and the Vibram Soled Indy Boot is an exception. That said, I prefer a leather sole stock so that you can leave it, or modify it with a sole of your choice.

i have to disagree, thats the reason i like the alden commando sole, because i don't think its as chunky as other combat/commando soles. albeit i only have it on my cordovan wingtip boots, they are one of my most comfortable boots and i dont have to worry about falling on my ass if its a bit wet out as with my leather soled shoes....but i'm glad we don't all like the same things.......be quite boring if we did.......

edit: i started to write my post before i saw tmadd's but i agree with him in most respects....

+1 for the alden commando sole, I have them on my AF43s and I think they are fairly discreet and not nearly as clunky as other options while still giving solid grip. On a side note I just placed an order for some White's Semi Dress in brown with the single leather sole...let the six week wait begin!

On a side note I just placed an order for some White's Semi Dress in brown with the single leather sole...let the six week wait begin!

Don't want to get your hopes up but my whites only took 4 weeks from when I ordered them from Bill untill he got them. Now I have to wait for them to get here which sucks but they are done a lot sooner than I thought.

I can't wait. I was sort of hoping that Bill would take some pictures of them and post before they headed my way.

Don't want to get your hopes up but my whites only took 4 weeks from when I ordered them from Bill untill he got them. Now I have to wait for them to get here which sucks but they are done a lot sooner than I thought.

I can't wait. I was sort of hoping that Bill would take some pictures of them and post before they headed my way.

I thought about it for a second.....but decided that it was kinda like opening somebody's christmas presents for them....didn't want to steal your thunder! They do look tasty though....

I've been looking for a good engineer boot to add to the collection. Found these dirt cheap. They are exactly the silouette and leather I was looking for. The leather has that horsehide-y stiffness but with a nice shine.... Can't tell what they are though, no branding that was left legible anywhere. There is evidence of atleast three different soles though, so guess is the origional owner had these for quite a while and resoled them a few times

*Edit* Ok, I took them under some better light and found some more stenciling inside one of the boots....says "J. Dean"!! Is it possible that these are really....No.....no, I'm fucking with you.......sorry. They are marked "Georgia, Made in USA 9.5E".....sorry.....cool boots though

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

Anyone have a good pic of one? Never seen them in person...

it's a very thin topy commando but stitched all the way through to the welt. this is AE but it looks similar to this. I like them - if you are sure you are getting a topy anyway, this is the way to go.

ae_suedes.jpg

Anyone have a good pic of one? Never seen them in person...

You can see them here, but yes, they're like what Tarmac says:

img9635croppedtf3.jpg

If I get around to it, I may try to take a better picture of the sole directly, but black on black is hard to see.

Tarmac, amlai, thanks for the photos. These commando soles are very thin and elegant. Even moreso than the RW GT's, which are also thinner than most other commando soles out there. (Partly why I like the GTs' look so much)

bye4now12 -- No, the RWI's are made in China, lighter, thinner sole, aimed at a different market and less expensive. They look pretty cool though. There are several stores in NYC that have the real traditional 875s, which I must admit, are one of my favorites because of comfort and tradition (well, since the early 1950's).

Dave's New York: 800-543-8558

David Z's Union Square: (212) 229-4790

Shoe Mania: http://www.shoemania.com/storeLocations.htm

And then Red Wings Japan does have them:

http://www.redwingshoe.co.jp/lineup/lineup_fr.html

Here's a NIB pair I bought a few weeks ago:

875.front.gif

875.bot.gif

I'm probably going to get lit up for this question, but is the RWI red wing boot thats on zappos the same as the red wing 875?

And if not, where can I get a pair of the 875's? I don't see any on cultizm or zappos.

I don't know where you live, but I bought mine at a brick and mortar Red Wing store here in northern california, which I found on the website. I have also seen the 875s for sale on ebay, but I wanted to make sure I got a proper fit so I just bit the bullet and paid a little extra to try on and buy in person.