Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

IMG_2678.jpg

So, I got me these Russell Mocs and I'm trying to figure out the best way to clean and treat them. They are made from cotton duck and some kind of suede.

I spoke with the kind woman from Russell on the phone and it sounds like it's just clean with water and a brush, and I could treat them with silicone, but that's it. I guess thats my answer. She was sweet, but didn't seem so certain since I think this leather was only used for Nom De Guerre .

I'm wondering if anyone has any other methods to suggest - or knows about using silicone - what brand? how to use it? etc.

I just want these to last forever.

Thanks

Leica and moykky and Tarmac - two questions about Trickers -

1. Do they come in an E width?

2. Where in the U.S. can I try them on?

I ask because I just got back from Crockett & Jones today here in NYC. The Skye brogued boots are too narrow for me! :( I'm gonna look into getting them made on the Coniston last, which fits me really well. But the Trickers are at least as good - if they'd fit me!

doctorgnar - I don't know if the Russells are supposed to be waterproof. But for both the fabric and the leather, you can use a silicone spray. After using a good suede brush on the suede portions.

If I had suede shoes I wanted to last forever, I'd treat them with the spray from the folks who really care about leather - Pecard's. Here's a link to their silicone spray:

http://www.pecard.com/store.php?crn=215&rn=390&action=show_detail

They have another speciality suede spray, but it's more delicate, and has the additional characteristic of protecting against discoloration. With black boots, I wouldn't worry about that.

doctorgnar - I don't know if the Russells are supposed to be waterproof. But for both the fabric and the leather, you can use a silicone spray. After using a good suede brush on the suede portions.

If I had suede shoes I wanted to last forever, I'd treat them with the spray from the folks who really care about leather - Pecard's. Here's a link to their silicone spray:

http://www.pecard.com/store.php?crn=215&rn=390&action=show_detail

They have another speciality suede spray, but it's more delicate, and has the additional characteristic of protecting against discoloration. With black boots, I wouldn't worry about that.

Thanks man, that is actually the one she mentioned - and they feature it on their website.

Edit: she also mentioned using Scotchgard - any experience with that?

Also, they have those Trickers at Nom de Guerre as well - or they did last I was in there a couple weeks ago.

Leica and moykky and Tarmac - two questions about Trickers -

1. Do they come in an E width?

2. Where in the U.S. can I try them on?

I ask because I just got back from Crockett & Jones today here in NYC. The Skye brogued boots are too narrow for me! :( I'm gonna look into getting them made on the Coniston last, which fits me really well. But the Trickers are at least as good - if they'd fit me!

Hey Greg!

Quick note and I'm off.

Tricker's widths are called 5, 6 & GTX. The 5 is about a US D+. I'm happiest in a US E width, but my Tricker Keswick shoes are a 5 width and are good. BUT, they are also a size too big (my fault). The Tricker boots, particularly the Malton but I think all with the commando sole, are on the GTX last, which is their widest. You can't get the commando in a narrow width. I actually don't know how much difference there really is between the Tricker 5 and 6 in real width. That's all I know. I hope others chime in. Don't know of any US dealers, either. The Pediwear site has more details than Tricker's own site.

Miz,

It may be a little late, but are those Frye Engineers the 8 inch or the 12? Do you have any pictures of them on? I have been debating for a year whether to get them but I have never seen them worn. Thanks.

Russels are very water resistant by design, but they are not truly waterproof. I think only shoes with seam taping and or goretex would be waterproof.

Greg sorry to hear the Skye's didn't work out for you :( But (as you'll I'm sure already know) there are a host of similar boots available and I'm sure one will work for you ;)

It would be awesome if C&J would be flexible with the last, it may take you 8-12 weeks but worth it. When I spoke with the guys at Jermyn St. they seemed quite welcome to requests. If I could do things over I would go with the Skye in two tone leather, same shade for the toe and maybe a black or natural elsewhere.

I've yet to wear my pair, the weather here in London is still quite inclement. I'm in no mad rush. By the way thanks for your advice re. flight jackets in the other thread - very helpful. Cheers.

Dave023 - That would be great, use the RW 875 as a sizing standard. I'm a 10 or 9 1/2 E width in the 875.

Quick notes: Everyone may already know this, but... just to be helpful --

Pediwear is a great vendor. First, mention their ad on the Ask Andy forum and you get a free pair of cedar boot trees. Second, as noted above, they have free worldwide shipping for Tricker’s. Third, they have twice year sales that come up with pretty good deals. In the last sale in January, the Malton’s were not on sale, but, in response to a very polite request, they offered me a 10% discount. (In other responses to my questions, I was eventually convinced to go with the Grenson boots that were on sale, but you can read back in this thread or ask if this is of interest.)

Finally, while it may/should be obvious: Remember that these are UK sizes. The boots generally run wide. For a long time, I subscribed to the US minus a half size, but I am now pretty convinced to go a full size down. For me, a happy 10.5 for most normally sized US shoes, that means a 9.5 for UK shoes.

Exceptions, of course, abound. Just don’t order your US size!

from tricker's:

Dear Ryan

Thank you for your valued enquiry.

May I suggest you contact either of the following stores for Tricker

footwear.

Brunello Cucinelli

379 Bleecker Street

New York, NY10014

Tel. 212 627 9202

Nom de Guerre

640 Broadway Lower Level

New York, NY 10012

tel 212 253 2891

Kind regards

Roy Martyniak

Finally, while it may/should be obvious: Remember that these are UK sizes. The boots generally run wide. For a long time, I subscribed to the US minus a half size, but I am now pretty convinced to go a full size down. For me, a happy 10.5 for most normally sized US shoes, that means a 9.5 for UK shoes.

Exceptions, of course, abound. Just don’t order your US size!

LeicaLad, do you have Trickers boots already? I'm also 10.5 in US size (I think I have size 10 Chuck Taylors though), but 8 in Trickers ( I have 8.5, but I tried and could go easily half a size down). My feet are quite wide so english shoes fit me well. I just had a bit of a hassle when ordering (and returning/changing) Tricker's due to the size issue. Now I have happy feet... :)

LeicaLad, do you have Trickers boots already? I'm also 10.5 in US size (I think I have size 10 Chuck Taylors though), but 8 in Trickers ( I have 8.5, but I tried and could go easily half a size down). My feet are quite wide so english shoes fit me well. I just had a bit of a hassle when ordering (and returning/changing) Tricker's due to the size issue. Now I have happy feet... :)

Wow! That's a serious difference. And very interesting details. I have a pair of Tricker's Keswick shoes, but no boots. I made a last second switch in choice to the Grensons in 10, but had to return for a pair of 9.5. These are very, very nice. So, still thinking about Trickers, but will probably make a pair of Alden cap toes my next actual purchase. I need something for the suit costume.

Moreover, I'm probably gonna move back to the tropics later this year, so I wonder if this buying spree in heavy boots and thick denim will seem strange to me this time next year... But, whatever, this sure has been fun!

Miz: We'll all await a report from your field mission to the Tricker shops!

My feet are wide too. Many English lasts just don't fit. I spent over an hour at Crockett & Jones and found only two lasts that fit me. So I can get one of their hand-grade models (Villiers included!), and their last 325 for the Conistons.

This week I'll try on some Trickers down at Nom de Guerre or Brunello Cucinelli!

My feet are wide too. Many English lasts just don't fit. I spent over an hour at Crockett & Jones and found only two lasts that fit me. So I can get one of their hand-grade models (Villiers included!), and their last 325 for the Conistons.

This week I'll try on some Trickers down at Nom de Guerre or Brunello Cucinelli!

Greg, does the last on the C&J Coniston fit you o.k? I also have wide feet and I got the 8.5 E 335 last. Thanks!

I expect alot of guys with "pro" shoes have already seen most of this but thought it might help the noobie in shoes buying. I find its a bit confusing that you can spend £150 on non UK made shoes or £170 on UK made shoes of "bench grade" quality often within the same brand. There are so many options to consider and mull over but the links have lots of hard info worth taking into account.

P.S. - Sorry if its frowned upon to link to other forums. Is it?

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49981&highlight=alfred+sargent

great - sooo comprehensive.

http://styleforum.pbwiki.com/Shoes

more about construction and materials.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66274&page=2&highlight=trickers

rogers post is really good

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=12201

more links here, probably the most extensive of all.

I can't see myself buying any shoes that doesn't have a genuine, hard leather sole. All these nice shoes with a vibram sole below them, it makes me...scared. Scared and disgusted. Those vibram soles are repugnant in every way possible. To that, someone might say "but you can't see the sole when you're wearing them". To that I say - "The soul of the sole is always present in my mind when wearing any shoe". Plus, the sound of it. Who wants shoes that doesn't give you that amazing, satisfactory *CLICK* when walking in them? I can't understand that, at all. Am I in some way unique in feeling this way?

if the only place you wear your shoes is at your office or something, i can understand where you're coming from. but if you've been dealing with the snow and ice storms we've been getting around here, leather sole is a no go, imo.

another cool looking sole i'm interested in are the cat paws. anybody have any experience with them? (the latest lightning magazine has some articles about them.)

I can't see myself buying any shoes that doesn't have a genuine, hard leather sole. All these nice shoes with a vibram sole below them, it makes me...scared. Scared and disgusted. Those vibram soles are repugnant in every way possible. To that, someone might say "but you can't see the sole when you're wearing them". To that I say - "The soul of the sole is always present in my mind when wearing any shoe". Plus, the sound of it. Who wants shoes that doesn't give you that amazing, satisfactory *CLICK* when walking in them? I can't understand that, at all. Am I in some way unique in feeling this way?

Rubber soles have their place. Try walking on ice in leather-soled shoes. ;)

Rubber soles have their place. Try walking on ice in leather-soled shoes. ;)

Some shoes doesn't have to have the leather sole. And yes, other soles have their purposes. But I don't know what to call the collection of shoes that, according to me, definitely should have a leather sole, but a shoe like, say the Chukka Boot...I can not bear the thought of having an amazing shoe like that with a vibram or a rubber sole. I've got a pair of Desert Boots that has rubber soles; but that is how far I'll stretch, pretty much.

Some shoes doesn't have to have the leather sole. And yes, other soles have their purposes. But I don't know what to call the collection of shoes that, according to me, definitely should have a leather sole, but a shoe like, say the Chukka Boot...I can not bear the thought of having an amazing shoe like that with a vibram or a rubber sole. I've got a pair of Desert Boots that has rubber soles; but that is how far I'll stretch, pretty much.

Thou should never bought a pair of shoes without leather sole. There is usually a possibility to choose if the shoe is worthy one.