Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Question about creasing on boots:

Is the amount of creasing on the left boot shown here considered normal?

img0580q.jpg

img0581r.jpg

Both the left and right have the same amount of wear on them. As can be seen, the creasing on the left boot clearly shows where the toe cap is and is much more pronounced in general.

Is this a manufacturing defect where the leather was not pulled tight enough on the last when the boot was made?

If so, is there anything that can be done to repair the boot?

@Peter Parker.

Your left shoe or boot will usually get more creases and wear down quicker than you right shoe, mainly because of getting in and out of your car. You scrape and bend the left shoe getting in, and it has a tendency to wear down especially leather soled shoes/boots. At least this is what the guy at the boot shop told me when I had to get some boots resoled.

Now, if you don't drive, or perhaps have a right hand drive car, everything I just said can be thrown to the side and forgotten, haha.

I'd say your boots looks pretty normal for the wear, and overall very nice.

@Peter Parker.

Your left shoe or boot will usually get more creases and wear down quicker than you right shoe, mainly because of getting in and out of your car. You scrape and bend the left shoe getting in, and it has a tendency to wear down especially leather soled shoes/boots. At least this is what the guy at the boot shop told me when I had to get some boots resoled.

Now, if you don't drive, or perhaps have a right hand drive car, everything I just said can be thrown to the side and forgotten, haha.

I'd say your boots looks pretty normal for the wear, and overall very nice.

There's only a couple days worth of wear on the boots. I've driven maybe twice in them. If the boots had a year's worth of wear on them, your explanation would make sense. I'm not concerned about the cosmetics of the creasing, but rather the discomfort that results from the creasing. The right boot, which has much less creasing, does not give me any problems; whereas the left boot causes pain in the knuckle of my toe after a bit of walking.

actually viberg has more options than white in building a custom boot

theyre like wesco which you can choose the thread color too.

they also offer the vibram 435 half sole which is pretty sexy in my opinion.

Question about creasing on boots:

Is the amount of creasing on the left boot shown here considered normal?

In my experience this just happens sometimes because one piece of leather just creases differently. I have some boots where one gets those larger rolling creases and the other has the very fine almost invisible ones. My thinking is it isn't a flaw, just a difference in the leather which I'm sure is tough to control since it's a natural material.

Thanks for the feedback. Another bit of information I should disclose is that the lining on the inside of the boot also bunched up where the creasing was on the outside. This was really aggravating my foot and made the left boot practically unwearable.

I have already had a cobbler pull the lining tight to smooth it out on the inside, and while it relieved some of the discomfort it still persists after longer wear. I suspect that it is because while the lining is tight, the upper is still loose so the creases are causing pressure points. I'm no boot maker but it is a logical explanation.

I should also note that the lining and upper on the right boot are tight and smooth on the inside and outside. I would expect the same quality of finish on the left boot.

Thanks for the feedback. Another bit of information I should disclose is that the lining on the inside of the boot also bunched up where the creasing was on the outside. This was really aggravating my foot and made the left boot practically unwearable.

I have already had a cobbler pull the lining tight to smooth it out on the inside, and while it relieved some of the discomfort it still persists after longer wear. I suspect that it is because while the lining is tight, the upper is still loose so the creases are causing pressure points. I'm no boot maker but it is a logical explanation.

I should also note that the lining and upper on the right boot are tight and smooth on the inside and outside. I would expect the same quality of finish on the left boot.

who made them? have you considered contacting the manufacturer? who made them?

it sounds like they are defective and I would call someone and make them take them back. Most companies, like alden and redwing, will stand behind their product and support you as a customer.

you can also try contacting the retailer from which you purchased them.

who made them? have you considered contacting the manufacturer? who made them?

it sounds like they are defective and I would call someone and make them take them back. Most companies, like alden and redwing, will stand behind their product and support you as a customer.

you can also try contacting the retailer from which you purchased them.

Indeed, this is the most logical course of action. I will refrain from mentioning any names to save the parties involved the embarrassment, but the boots were made for a designer brand by a local boot manufacturer.

Since they were made locally, I took them to there to see what they had to say. I was informed that the boot was defective, in the opinion of a boot maker and the production manager; however, they could not do anything for me because they didn't sell me the boot, and it was made for the designer.

I took the boots back to the retailer, who dealt with the designer, who dealt with the boot company. After much deliberation, I was informed that the creasing of the boots was "natural" because of some distressing done to the boots by the designer, and that it was not a defect.

In light of the information I received from the boot manufacturer, I was disgusted by this explanation. I even sent a correspondence to the designer to express my dissatisfaction, but that had little or no effect.

I'd say that I've exhausted my efforts in resolving the issues with the boots, and God knows why, but I am hoping to find an answer on SuFu.

They are no longer returnable, and I stuck with them. My tone doesn't convey it, but I am fucking pissed.

@ PP, are you sure all that isn't because your feet aren't symmetrical? No ones are... my R is about 1/4-1/2 size larger, this is true for most people.

I considered this as well. I measured my feet, and they are the same in length and width. There are no abnormalities with my feet, and I have never had such an issue with any of my shoes.

Indeed, this is the most logical course of action. I will refrain from mentioning any names to save the parties involved the embarrassment, but the boots were made for a designer brand by a local boot manufacturer.

Since they were made locally, I took them to there to see what they had to say. I was informed that the boot was defective, in the opinion of a boot maker and the production manager; however, they could not do anything for me because they didn't sell me the boot, and it was made for the designer.

I took the boots back to the retailer, who dealt with the designer, who dealt with the boot company. After much deliberation, I was informed that the creasing of the boots was "natural" because of some distressing done to the boots by the designer, and that it was not a defect.

In light of the information I received from the boot manufacturer, I was disgusted by this explanation. I even sent a correspondence to the designer to express my dissatisfaction, but that had little or no effect.

I'd say that I've exhausted my efforts in resolving the issues with the boots, and God knows why, but I am hoping to find an answer on SuFu.

They are no longer returnable, and I stuck with them. My tone doesn't convey it, but I am fucking pissed.

I considered this as well. I measured my feet, and they are the same in length and width. There are no abnormalities with my feet, and I have never had such an issue with any of my shoes.

well, that really sucks. I would keep pestering the designer and the boot company. try to get the bootmaker to contact the designer for you. that is total B.S.

do you live in the united states or canada? if so...contact the better business bureau. www.bbb.org

go there and file a complaint.

i have a pair of old old red wings i got at ebay for a good deal. Yesterday I went to a local red wing dealer (in Vancouver , Burnaby to be exact) to get some oil.

Red wing has this can of "all natural mink oil with beeswax" it smells decent (not that it matters that much), but it actually works really well. I added 2 coats and the colour was brought back instantly.

I will upload some pics tmmrw :D