Obey!

neme216

hey--just wondering on what all your thoughts were on the brand "Obey". i really like all their tees and was wondering if all ya'll agree or not. i know it's a bit mainstream, but isn't everything really, since the invention of the internet?

shepard is fucking hustling. running a gallery, the obey project, a deisgn studio and a clothing brand. tons of respect to the guy, but the jaunt into clothing was just a natural progression after the free advertising base he had created for himself.

i really used to like obey. i still like them today, but it seems theyre about to take the wrong path. they sell them in the wrong stores, and in result, many people who buy it dont know who the fuck shepard fairey is. their designs are some of my favorite though.

I wouldn't be caught in it dead.

A friend of mine that has been buying them for years has complained about a drop in quality.

I just don't like the whole propaganda-for-teens aspect.

"Yeah, kiddo, we're like rebels, you and me. Buy our shit."

that's the message. No thanks.

Large logos are so 90's. I'm not going to do someone's advertising for them.

A lot of cool designers are going away from visible branding nowadays- horay for that.

I wouldn't be caught in it dead.

A friend of mine that has been buying them for years has complained about a drop in quality.

I just don't like the whole propaganda-for-teens aspect.

A lot of cool designers are going away from visible branding nowadays- horay for that.

teenagers arent that naive...

i don;t understand how you can say that when stussy is so popular and i don't think they are that creative. many brands are now into "the brand" tees. i know it's lame. i don't think that obey is doing this in that sort of way, way more hidden than stussy and many others.

Guest ARCANGELO

I must agree with CitySparrow. Shepard made a career out of vectorizing (streamline, adobe illustrator) already appropriated images. He compares himself to Jamie Reid (who is responsable for all the cut & paste Sex Pistols' art in the 70's). The difference between Mr. Fairey and Jaimie Reid is that Reid took risks with his art - i.e.: the Tom of Finland cowboys, the upside down crucifix & swaztika that read DESTROY and making a mockery out of the Queen of England, which was quite "riské" at that time. Reid's clothing was sold at the very controversial shop in London called SEX, owned by Vivienne Westwood and Malcolm McLaren. Shepard is nothing like Jaime Reid and I wish he would stop comparing himself to him. The only risk he is taking is when he is wheatpasting a Andre the Giant face on top of a water-tower.

I must agree with CitySparrow. Shepard made a career out of vectorizing (streamline, adobe illustrator) already appropriated images. He compares himself to Jamie Reid (who is responsable for all the cut & paste Sex Pistols' art in the 70's). The difference between Mr. Fairey and Jaimie Reid is that Reid took risks with his art - i.e.: the Tom of Finland cowboys, the upside down crucifix & swaztika that read DESTROY and making a mockery out of the Queen of England, which was quite "riské" at that time. Reid's clothing was sold at the very controversial shop in London called SEX, owned by Vivienne Westwood and Malcolm McLaren. Shepard is nothing like Jaime Reid and I wish he would stop comparing himself to him. The only risk he is taking is when he is wheatpasting a Andre the Giant face on top of a water-tower.

arent you erik brunetti?

It's funny how soon these rebelious outlaws, the grafitty nonconformist idealists, are coming out with big label stuff now.

It's all about rebellion for sale.

You know who they are.

Subversive or not, that logo is everywhere, and all his art ever was is a vectorised rip-off of comunist posters from the com-block.

It's nice to have a nifty ideology for not coming up with anything original.

Just a rip-off.

I'd rather go for real quality- no one can argue that japanese denim is the best- that's because they didn't cut corners and used the best looms, etc.

No logos, no flashy shit.

One reason everyone is shitting on Evisu is because of the large obversive crap they have everywhere.

Yet look at the brands that get respect- some of them even go so far as not to have patches on the jeans.

Real subversion needs no marketing, and real quality speaks for itself.

That's why obey is for kids- it's much more easier to latch on to.

You don't have to not wash your pants for 6 months to figure things out :P

It's funny how soon these rebelious outlaws, the grafitty nonconformist idealists, are coming out with big label stuff now.

It's all about rebellion for sale.

You know who they are.

Subversive or not, that logo is everywhere, and all his art ever was is a vectorised rip-off of comunist posters from the com-block.

It's nice to have a nifty ideology for not coming up with anything original.

Just a rip-off.

I'd rather go for real quality- no one can argue that japanese denim is the best- that's because they didn't cut corners and used the best looms, etc.

No logos, no flashy shit.

One reason everyone is shitting on Evisu is because of the large obversive crap they have everywhere.

Yet look at the brands that get respect- some of them even go so far as not to have patches on the jeans.

Real subversion needs no marketing, and real quality speaks for itself.

That's why obey is for kids- it's much more easier to latch on to.

You don't have to not wash your pants for 6 months to figure things out :P

DAMMMNNNN!!!!....well said city sparrow!!!!..OBEY will be in IKEA soon...for little kids rooms!!! I can see it now, an OBEY poster hanging over little johnnys bunk bed.

Its not subversive...not at all.