Levi's 501 vs 1947 501...

Jim Cissell

seems the modern stf is about one inch wider than the lvc, giving it an effective increase of 2 inches in the waist. airfrog, is the 1947 correctly tagged, and the STF is bigger than 38, or is the STF correctly tagged, and the lvc is smaller than a 38?

also, is this a japan LVC, or other country of origin. how do the US lvc 1947s compare to the japan 1947s?

Heres a photo of the 1901s which are very full cut and the 47s both LVC USA. both pairs of my 20s 201s are very similar in fit to the 1901s and my 37 201s and 501s are a bit trimmer with the 37 201s marked one size larger in the waist(40) than the 37 501s (38) but fit snugger there than the 37 501s tagged 38. And my 33s are also a full cut. All were raw when new.

compareleg4701.jpg

Compare1901194701.jpg

The 1947s measure 45 1/2 inches the late 1990s early 2000 501s are just shy of 38 and the 1901s are 38. All had the same size as the tag on the back on the inside leg tag.

Thanks...I've also learned allot since joining. Heres some photos of my favorite LVCs. These have been showing up lately (raw new) on e-bay. They are from the late 1990s and were made at Valencia St from 10 oz (tuff as nails) blue/green line denim and are probably my favorite LVCs. The are much nicer than the 20s 201s offered last year, The ones made last year are easily identified by the double needle stitching on the back pocket arcuate. These are right (sngle stitched). If you see these on ebay I couldn't recommend a pair more highly.

20s 201s from 1999.

IMG_7542.jpg

IMG_7543.jpg

IMG_7549.jpg

IMG_7548.jpg

and p.s. i have reg. 501's pre-2000, 6 weeks ago i swore by them, then i got my 47's and i can't even look at them, i won't even skate in them anymore, strictly for whenever i get around to [ainting my house. the width issue as evidenced in the above photo's doesn't completely explain, the entire fit of the jeans- the way they sit on yr body is narrower not just at waist, and holds form incomparable. the characteristic sag of the reg. 501's is practically nonexistent, which may be the best thing about the 47 fit-wise

Lester Yeah the fit is is much closer in every part of the 47s. Seat, thigh, waist legs, rise. I like the 47s don't get me wrong I just prefer the anti fit of say the 20s 201s which is fuller in the seat and thigh than modern STF 501s. I like the crotch rivets, suspender buttons, buckle backs,etc....

I read somewhere that the "Anti-Fit" had something to do with the way they styled the rear rise in their jeans. The original work jeans from the late 1800's were overalls and had a very straight rise (without the pronounced curve that you see on many jeans today) Rather than cut their jeans to fit like slacks or regular dress pants at the time, Levis kept the almost curveless cut for the jeans that you recognize today. I think only 501's have the "Anti-Fit" cut, which accounts for the notorious bagginess in the ass of the 501 jean...

wow those are nice.

shows you dont have to have mega-contrasting to have nice jeans

Thanks the denim on these is so different than the redline stuff. The color is different and they fade much different. Here are some well worn 20s 201s 555 on e-bay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Levis-LVC-201-Big-E-Selvedge-Chinch-Back-vintage_W0QQitemZ250000444624QQihZ015QQcategoryZ11483QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks the denim on these is so different than the redline stuff. The color is different and they fade much different. Here are some well worn 20s 201s 555 on e-bay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Levis-LVC-201-Big-E-Selvedge-Chinch-Back-vintage_W0QQitemZ250000444624QQihZ015QQcategoryZ11483QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

nice, i liked your posts a lot.

some of the info i was needing on LVC.

you don´t happen to have any personal experience with evisu jeans do you? i wanted to know what would be the model that would resemble most to the fit on evisu´s lot 0001 from europe.

that 201 fit looks sweet, although i think i would like the backpockets to be sewn a bit lower on the jeans.

how do these fit in comparison to a pair of 501 1933? i have tried a pair of these on, and i thought they were a little too baggy on the legs and the leg opening to be a bit wider than what i would wish. i still liked the 1933 a lot, but they were not what i consider to be the perfect fit to me, which means evisu lot 0001 or japanese lot 2001.

would you please post a pic of you wearing those 201 so i could get a better idea of how they fit?

thanks !

nice, i liked your posts a lot.

some of the info i was needing on LVC.

you don´t happen to have any personal experience with evisu jeans do you? i wanted to know what would be the model that would resemble most to the fit on evisu´s lot 0001 from europe.

that 201 fit looks sweet, although i think i would like the backpockets to be sewn a bit lower on the jeans.

how do these fit in comparison to a pair of 501 1933? i have tried a pair of these on, and i thought they were a little too baggy on the legs and the leg opening to be a bit wider than what i would wish. i still liked the 1933 a lot, but they were not what i consider to be the perfect fit to me, which means evisu lot 0001 or japanese lot 2001.

would you please post a pic of you wearing those 201 so i could get a better idea of how they fit?

thanks !

Well the 20s 201s are a bit looser in the thigh and legs than the 37 501s. I actually like my 37 201s better than the 501s. The 37 201s have smaller pockets and were made at the Valencia St factory. I like the denim better on the 37 201s and there are some other small things I really like. Don't get me wrong the 37 501s rock.

Levis tried to replacate these models so things like large legs and pocket placement are close to what the originals were. The 1920s 201s fit real similar to the 1901s. These were waist overalls (work cloths) so fashion at the time wasn't the main concern. I personally like the boxy fit. They look so different than any modern jeans.

• 1 year later...