this is england

NAUSEA

285087_123688781054165_100002391311072_183718_5782121_n.jpg

they don't look so bad. I mean, these aren't 22 year olds, they are a little older. I bet one of them is a standup comedian or some shit. I see way worse at Chipotle

Why?

The bible belt deserves as much, if not more scrutiny than the Mid West.

I'm not saying that any region doesn't deserve scrutiny. It was merely a comment.

And I enjoy some Bill Hicks as much as the next guy, but he jokes about the South because that's what (maybe all) he knows. He was born, raised, died, and buried in the South. I've actually seen his grave in Leakesville, MS.

I've listened to people talk shit about the South my entire life, and most of them got their opinions from poorly compiled CNN pieces. Yeah there's white trash, poverty, you fucking name it here... but I've also encountered all that and more in EVERY major city in the United States.

The South is a very unique place to live and offers far more than BBQ and country music. It's also VERY different in the twenty or so years since Bill HIcks stood on that stage. The best economic growth in the US is occurring here. Eight out of the top ten (nine if you count D.C.) prospering cities are located in the South. This includes sustainable industry, education, housing, blah blah blah.

http://blogs.forbes.com/joelkotkin/2011/07/06/the-next-big-boom-towns-in-the-u-s/

Chromesquared, this is in no way directed at you. I just want people to know what the fuck they're talking about before they go mouthing off about a topic they're clueless on. And I know the whole "This Is England" thing is a joke, and I'm definitely getting too serious... but it quite annoying when people associate a Southern accent with lack of intelligence.

There was a really good BBC doc on movies based in the South, fronted by southern stand-up Rich Hall (not sure if he's popular in the States, he's kind of well-known over here, along wiht Reginald D. Hunter).

In it he laments intellectual decline, going from the likes of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof to the inbred hillbilly and yokel representations of today. Along the way he addresses general stereotypes and such.

We're not so ignorant.