cologne recommendation

nig1

I've been using L'eau D'Issey by Miyaki for the past 5 years and I'm getting kinda tired spraying the same thing every weekend. The bottle is still more than half-full, should I ditch it or keep using it? Looking for some other cologne, preferably something light and breezy, nothing strong or musky. Any suggestions?

Hmm exactly the same problem here. Been using that very scent for 2years now. I did find one I loved in Duty Free, however in the rush to get on the plane the name slipped my mind... Tried a few out since, but none seem quite as nice to myself & the ladies as L'eau D'issey.

Quote: I've been using L'eau D'Issey by Miyaki for the past 5 years and I'm getting kinda tired spraying the same thing every weekend. The bottle is still more than half-full, should I ditch it or keep using it? Looking for some other cologne, preferably something light and breezy, nothing strong or musky. Any suggestions?

Yep, if you are into that, then you like scents with an "oceanic/aquatic" base. Thus, some readily available ones include: Hanae Mori, Ferragamo Subtil, Dior Higher, Penhaligon's Endymion, Versace Metal...

If you want topclass scents that virtually NONE of your friends/people you know will have, go for Truefitt & Hill's 1805, Clubman, or Freshman; these are all 'fresh' 'aquatic' scents. Another great recommendation, as noted above is products by Creed, however Green Irish Tweed is nowhere along the lines of the type of scent you are looking for (although it is indeed, amazing).

Millesime Imperiale and Silver Mountain Water are a couple of Creed's 'oceanic' scents. My advice is to go to:

http://www.lessenteurs.com/

You can order a multitude of Creed samples (which are only $4 a piece), find the one you like, then buy it on e-bay (in stores they are $200+ and can be bought on the bay' for around $75).....Samples are the best way to go; you can even email Trueffit and Hill and Penhaligon's to get some nice FREE sample sets....I have an enormous library of colognes and would be glad to offer more help if needed. Cheers......

Edited by englandmj7 on Jun 13, 2006 at 09:04 AM

^^ Yeah, I mentioned that too. The only problem with that shit is it smells WAY too much like Armani "Acqua Di Gio" and god forbid I am caught wearing a cologne that 95% of frat guys sport......although it is possibly one of the best scents ever made..

Quote:
Quote: I've been using L'eau D'Issey by Miyaki for the past 5 years and I'm getting kinda tired spraying the same thing every weekend. The bottle is still more than half-full, should I ditch it or keep using it? Looking for some other cologne, preferably something light and breezy, nothing strong or musky. Any suggestions?

Yep, if you are into that, then you like scents with an "oceanic/aquatic" base. Thus, some readily available ones include: Hanae Mori, Ferragamo Subtil, Dior Higher, Penhaligon's Endymion, Versace Metal...

If you want topclass scents that virtually NONE of your friends/people you know will have, go for Truefitt & Hill's 1805, Clubman, or Freshman; these are all 'fresh' 'aquatic' scents. Another great recommendation, as noted above is products by Creed, however Green Irish Tweed is nowhere along the lines of the type of scent you are looking for (although it is indeed, amazing).

Millesime Imperiale and Silver Mountain Water are a couple of Creed's 'oceanic' scents. My advice is to go to:

http://www.lessenteurs.com/

You can order a multitude of Creed samples (which are only $4 a piece), find the one you like, then buy it on e-bay (in stores they are $200+ and can be bought on the bay' for around $75).....Samples are the best way to go; you can even email Trueffit and Hill and Penhaligon's to get some nice FREE sample sets....I have an enormous library of colognes and would be glad to offer more help if needed. Cheers......

Edited by englandmj7 on Jun 13, 2006 at 09:04 AM

--- Original message by englandmj7 on Jun 13, 2006 09:03 AM

Do they ship to the U.S. ?

Yes, but make sure the order is 12 GBP or less, because otherwise they charge you extra shipping. You can check the FAQ on the site. If you want more than 6 samples (which would be 12 GBP) you can make two separate orders. I think in total, I paid $24 including shipping, etc.....pretty decent considering unless you live in NYC or LA it is virtually impossible to smell the scents...

Also, on the Creed website (use Google) it will give you specifics on what each scent smells like so you can pick a few you would like order.....

ok . . . i know how this board has a fixation with premium, high dollar items but when it comes to scents, i can't get with the whole creed thing. there are much better niche houses out there. i've had 2 creeds before -- a fresh bottle of silver mountain water and a burnt out bottle of millesime imperial i bought online. either way i think they are too expensive for what you get. the batches are handmade yes, but that leads to slight differences in the smell. since they are made of more natural than synthetic oils it leads to them spoiling quicker and a lot easier. i just can't justify spending $100 on an ounce of fragrance that is so finicky. so with that in mind here are my fave designer scents . . .

Chanel Allure Homme

Carolina Herrera 212 Original Version

Gendarme

CDG Odeur 53

Hermes Terre d'Hermes

Hermes Un Jardin en Medeterranea

Ralph Lauren Romance Silver

Mugler Cologne

Sean John Unforgiven (not a big fan but if you want a Creed MI, dead on clone, here ya go)

Bulgari Pour Homme

Jil Sander Man

Gucci Pour Homme

these are the most well rounded versatile scents in my collection (except for Sean John) and i think they are great for any occasion

Quote: ok . . . i know how this board has a fixation with premium, high dollar items but when it comes to scents, i can't get with the whole creed thing. there are much better niche houses out there. i've had 2 creeds before -- a fresh bottle of silver mountain water and a burnt out bottle of millesime imperial i bought online. either way i think they are too expensive for what you get. the batches are handmade yes, but that leads to slight differences in the smell. since they are made of more natural than synthetic oils it leads to them spoiling quicker and a lot easier. i just can't justify spending $100 on an ounce of fragrance that is so finicky. so with that in mind here are my fave designer scents . . .

Yeah, but the whole point is that you will have something unique and different. I personally would never spend $200 on a bottle of Creed, and get 4 oz. testers on e-bay for around $70. That is the same price you would spend on any of the colognes that you listed.......

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, but the whole point is that you will have something unique and different. I personally would never spend $200 on a bottle of Creed, and get 4 oz. testers on e-bay for around $70. That is the same price you would spend on any of the colognes that you listed.......

yes, but the money i pay for those high quality designer scents is well worth it bc i don't have to deal with variable batches or spoiled bottles like i do with creed. same price yes, less hassle of course

don't worry i sold those creed bottles off a long time ago

yes, but the money i pay for those high quality designer scents is well worth it bc i don't have to deal with variable batches or spoiled bottles like i do with creed. same price yes, less hassle of course

don't worry i sold those creed bottles off a long time ago

I would venture to say that if you have ever had a spoiled bottle than you have not been buying authentic Creed. There is a reason why everyone from Sean Connery to the Royal Family uses the stuff.......I have had several scents for a couple of years and have never had any problems. If there were ever any problems, Creed would surely refund you your money or exchange the item.

To answer the question about where to buy it, darkanimal's recommendation is great, but if you are not in the area, you can often find online retailers who sell it at huge discounts (don't get me wrong, at $200 a bottle the stuff is overpriced), for instance, around $65. Otherwise, if you are any good with e-bay it is your best bet. Check the seller's feedback, view their other items, etc. etc. There is TONS of Creed on e-bay.

Anyways, it seems like I am making Creed out to be God's gift to parfums, but in actuality I find that Truefitt & Hill's (of England) catalogue is filled with several amazing scents, and at $65 a bottle it can't be beat. Email their customer service and ask for some samples, they are EXTREMELY helpful:

http://www.truefittandhill.com/

Also, you can call Bond No.9 in NY (the American equivalent of Creed) and pay the $6 S&H fee for them to send you out some samples, then buy their stuff at a discount on e-bay as well.....or you could simply walk into a Sephora and pick up some regular old Polo/Arman/Issey Miyake/Gucci....blah blah blah.....

Anyone heard of Frederic Malle Editions de Parfums?

http://www.editionsdeparfums.com/

Really nice and unique scents, kinda expensive and hard to find, but definitely worth checking out. They also do travel packs, with three 10ml spritzers, which are really good if you don't want a lot. The Bigarade is my favourite, it's a very fresh lime smell.

the best scent i know of is Chanel's Platinum Egoiste

Agree, have been using Platinum Egoiste, like these other guys with Issey Miyake, since high school, I guess like 7 or 8 years now. I'm about out on a bottle I have now and wonder if I should change it up? Egoiste Platinum has been my one scent that drives every woman crazy and that I actually quite like the scent of myself, plus it's not too played out. I've seriously met maybe only 2 or 3 people ever who've been able to I.D. it.

I have most of the mainstream scents listed in this thread, like the Issey, Ferragamo, Kenzo, Dior Higher, etc, but never really cared for them much. I've always lived in Asia for the past few years of my life so I usually buy a cologne everytime I go someplace, they're like $20 a piece at the duty free. I've gone through a few bottles of the green Paul Smith, it's an odd scent that i guess I acquired a liking for.

Burberry's Weekend is an old school one that I used to like when I was young, it smells fresh and pretty clean.

i do love egoiste platinum. it's an older one (launched in 1993) but i think it still holds its own quite well against all the modern, fresh, aquatic based scents . . . and like every chanel out there, its quite potent.

paul smith green is also an awesome one. reminds me of a green take of aqua di gio.

a really nice scent that i've picked up recently that i reccomend is Terre d'Hermes by Hermes.

i've been told by many female friends of mine that it smells just like the woods . . . and they think that's sexy. to me it smells like fresh, spicy cedar wood and a little bit of pine and citrus. yes, it is a little different, and i think it takes a certain kind of guy to wear it but at the same time its a really easy scent bc it lacks any synthetic musks so it mixes well with your own chemistry rather than covereing it up.