how much would you be willing to pay?

penfold

when i was last in LA i stumbled into a vintage sunglasses store and tried on a pair of old skool 1970's circa sunglasses. the guy told me the make...of which i cant remember and mentioned they were the only pair of its kind, only problem is they cost $750!

im going back to LA on the weekend and have been thinking about these glasses ever since. Now i could afford them the only problem is i dont know if i can justify spending that kind of money on a pair of glasses and was hoping you guys could give me some words of wisdom...

I guess it depends on how much you wear them. If you'd wear them everyday & live in a sunny place and are usually careful about your accessories, i can see justifying 750$. However if they're vintage, you might be able to find some current designers that do the same thing for less. Personally I don't wear shades that often, and tend to abuse my belongings so i like my 80$ Stussy sunglasses.

the answer is u go straight back to the store and post pics ,then we wil make the decision for you

but in all seriousness i think anything over 500 is incredible for sunglasses, considering they get limited use..

did u try them on? do u like how they fit on u??

yeah a picture would be a great sign of how serious you are...and the last time i heard of vintage shades costing $750,was when cutler and gross released their ''hollywood'' range.also nothing from the 70's[especially shades] will sell for that much.so suga the next time you go vintage shade shopping ... get as many Cazell shades[80's] as you can...they have become as big an investment as ''members only'' jackets.

I dont think paying 750 is to out there. I remember people paying 2000 for the pharrellX LV sunglasses

IF i really liked it i would cop it but i would try to walk the guy down on the price

“Sell a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man how to fish, you ruin a wonderful business opportunity.â€

-- Karl Marx

its funny that you mention the cazells!

i actually bought a pair of those first from the store for 325 but then returned them later as i was unsure about them. i got my firend to exchnage them for me n my new ones are in the post to me...will post pics wen they arrive

If you like em and have the money why not. I have spent 1000 dollars on a pair of shoes. But i could never do it on shades for a simple reason i would lose em in a weak, i am the master of losing shades at clubs, bars, beach you name it. So as far as shades goes im fine with 70 bucks Stussys or somthing.

Get em if yoy want to. Even if i think dunhill is pretty lame. I mean it is a Tobacco Company after all not a fashion brand. Cigaretts, lighters and that type of stuff is their thing. But if they are nice why not.

Sneakerstar

The Dunhill Company we Know today ofcourse originated as a Tobacco and Pipe company. Suits, Leathergoods and such came much later. My homework is on point. Straight A+. I used to smoke Dunhill Reds myself.

in 1904 Alfred invented the “Windshield Pipe,†hoping to combat some of the difficulties a smoker would face while driving. It was this sort of innovation in response to the customer’s needs that would make Dunhill Pipes the leader in its field.

In 1906, the first pipes and tobacco shop opened on Duke St. The shop soon came to be known for its customized blends. Each customer could come and create his own recipe, noted in a little book entitled “my mixture.†This is a prime example of Dunhill’s ability to tailor itself to the customer’s needs. Alfred Dunhill however, was unsatisfied with the current quality of available pipes. The pipes coming in from France were highly varnished and consequently clogged the pores of the briar. They were simply not doing justice to his creative blending.

Alfred opened a small factory of his own in 1910. He set down two principles that would guide the production of Dunhill Pipes. First, pipes would be made of only the finest quality briar, with exacting care by expert craftsmen. Secondly, the pipes would be priced accordingly; the customer would recognize the value of a superior product. This ran counter to the current trend of inexpensive pipes of poor quality that one simply discarded after a short while.

The Dunhill pipe was made to last a lifetime and always with an eye to utility. It must smoke well and continue to do so with age. To this end, Alfred invented the aluminum ‘inner tube’ to keep the innards of the pipe clean. When the pipe became dirty the tube could simply and easily be replaced. Note, of course, that this innovation predated the widespread use of pipe cleaners.

In 1915, the famous white spot was introduced for very practical concerns. With straight pipes, customers had trouble knowing which way to insert the handmade vulcanite mouthpieces. So Alfred Dunhill ordered white spots to be placed on the upper side of the stem. This very practical solution would become a definitive trademark of Dunhill pipes. The “white spot†soon became known as a symbol of quality.

Alfred Dunhill wanted his pipes to be known around the world. WWI provided him the perfect opportunity to promote his product on an international scale. When an order was placed by an officer serving in Northern France, Alfred would send additional pipes with a note asking that they be distributed among his fellow officers. The pipes were sold not only to British officers but to Americans, French, Belgians and Canadians. By the end of the war the Dunhill Pipe, with its “white spotâ€, was known the world over.

Alfred Dunhill’s most revolutionary innovation was the Shell pipe in 1917. How this technique of sandblasting came about is somewhat of a mystery. The story often told is that Alfred Dunhill went down into his basement in the wintertime to make a couple pipes and accidentally left one, a half finished piece, by the heating boiler. He returned sometime next summer, having suddenly thought of the pipe, only to find some of the grain had ‘shrunk’, leaving a relief pattern. Obviously, this is apocryphal, probably resulting from the ‘shrunken’ look that sandblasts (especially the gnarly ones of that era) frequently have. Some say the name “Shell†came from the shriveled look the pipe took on after the sandblasting process. Alfred realized Algerian briar, then considered inferior, could be used in this new process. The softer wood could be ‘blasted away’, leaving behind only the harder briar and the beautiful natural pattern of the wood. Originally, the Shell pipes were not stamped because the sandblasting technique, not yet being refined, made recognizing the standard shape much more difficult. Though the Shell finish certainly did not arise from accidentally forgotten pipes in the cellar, it was definitely an important innovation on Dunhill’s part.

Quote:

oh i forgot to mention...whilst i was in the store i had my ray bans which i had picked up in a jumble sale for 15 bucks.....apparently they are worth around 600 now!

--- Original message by penfold on Jun 12, 2006 10:50 PM

This would be a sign to me that the others are not worth the 750 (or 500). They would sell your 15 dollar ones for 600. Maybe they are charging way to much vs you got a great deal on the Ray Bans.

Guest sauce1
Quote:

FYI. i ended up paying $500. Prob wouldnt have spent $750

--- Original message by penfold on Jun 14, 2006 09:26 AM

told ya. can we see pics?

someone took my niketalk name here.

the only pair of sunglasses i would pay 750+ dollars are the LV millionaires that pharrell and kanye west usually wear. i honestly think those are the best sunglasses ever made, i´m not really much of a hypebeast on what i like to wear, so it has nothing to do with the fact that pharrell wears them.

other than that, i get all gucci, dolce gabbana, dior etc etc sunglasses for about 100/140 bucks, depending on the model, cuz a friend of mine owns a sunglasses shop, and that´s the highest i have payed so far for a pair

Stand tall or don't stand at all