Levi's 501xx Heath?

cielo

I just picked up a pair of 501s from a local used clothing store. I took notice of the selvedge and leather patch, but aside from that, I did not know what they were. After looking in my little LVC booklet, I realized these resembled the Heath jeans. According to the site below, it seems Levi’s only manufactured 501 Heath jeans, with each one individually numbered. However, I have seen some jeans marked xxx/300. Is this due to different production runs? Can anyone (Paul T.?) on here provide more information about these jeans? Thanks in advance!

http://www.triads.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3749

IMG_8562Small.jpg

IMG_8580Small.jpg

IMG_8566Small.jpg

IMG_8567Small.jpg

IMG_8568Small.jpg

IMG_8585Small.jpg

IMG_8577Small.jpg

IMG_8587Small.jpg

IMG_8586Small.jpg

IMG_8583Small.jpg

IMG_8582Small.jpg

IMG_8589Small.jpg

IMG_8590Small.jpg

Heres a raw pair of 1933 501s

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7772221407&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Heres a pair of heaths

http://cgi.ebay.com/Levis-501-XX-1933-HEATH-Big-E-LVC-Signature-30W-32L-SP_W0QQitemZ7771079184QQihZ018QQcategoryZ11483QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I like'm raw but to each their own. The rivets on yours look different than the ones on my 1933s or any of my other LVCs. Is there a tag inside the leg?

They say sample ... #1

Sample heath nice prolly pretty valuable .. how much did you pay for them may I ask

Edited by numero_uno_3xl on Jun 5, 2006 at 06:49 PM

Quote:

They say sample ... #1

Sample heath nice prolly pretty valuable .. how much did you pay for them may I ask

Edited by numero_uno_3xl on Jun 5, 2006 at 06:49 PM

--- Original message by numero_uno_3xl on Jun 5, 2006 06:48 PM

I bought them for $17.86 inc. tax. I was already excited to pick up a pair of cheap [selvedge] 501s, but even more stoked once I found out what they were.

Quote:

Heres a raw pair of 1933 501s

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7772221407&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Heres a pair of heaths

http://cgi.ebay.com/Levis-501-XX-1933-HEATH-Big-E-LVC-Signature-30W-32L-SP_W0QQitemZ7771079184QQihZ018QQcategoryZ11483QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I like'm raw but to each their own. The rivets on yours look different than the ones on my 1933s or any of my other LVCs. Is there a tag inside the leg?

--- Original message by airfrogusmc on Jun 5, 2006 06:31 PM

Just checked everywhere. No tags aside from the one shown.

wow...you'd be incredibly lucky to stumble upon any pair of LVC's at a used clothing store...but to find what appears to be the first Heath prototype (the ' #1 ' marking suggests this may be the case) is just plain amazing...good eye ;)

p.s. another difference is that yours doesnt have suspender buttons, pink-line selvage or the same lock stitching as the one that was released to the general public...but that back pocket is unmistakably the Heath......im sure Levis would just love to have this pair back :P

..Learn to swim..

Edited by Whodinihimself on Jun 5, 2006 at 09:55 PM

yes they're the heath, yees they're nice. You have a sample garment, the one that's sent out to retailers to look at, or to magazines for shoots. Yours is very slightly unusual in that it's 34W 32L, samples are nearly always 32-34.

i have exsamined the original Heaths quite closely and they're very nice jeans. They're based on a pair that was sent in to Leiv's some time ago and was customised by the owner who worked in a mine in Nevada, the new version is a fairly close copy of the original pair that is now in the Levi's archives. they are a late 20s, early 30s cut, from when Cone started doing the fabric.They're from the spring 2006 season.

As that URL says, that these are the limited edition ones, and are worth more that the basic LVC, i think they cost about twice as much, because the wear and the detailing is better. IN the uk they were at least £250, ie around $400! Sorry, I don't know if these are a 300 or 501 production run.

Edit: I have just checked that website, and it is pretty much all the information I have - it's taken from the original press release. Your jeans are atypical in that they should have redline selvage... but the ones on the website are atypcial in that they souldn't have a red tab (altho the jeans I've seen did have the suspender buttons and cinch). I have the press release which I can send u if you PM me, but it's essentially the same info as is on the website you've linked.

Edited by Paul T on Jun 6, 2006 at 04:39 AM

Quote:

Yeah its great having Paul around and willing to share his knowledge. We should all buy his book to show our appreciation besides having a great reference tool.

I just really find it interesting there no crotch rivet.

Edited by airfrogusmc on Jun 6, 2006 at 05:42 PM

--- Original message by airfrogusmc on Jun 6, 2006 05:41 PM

Paul T has a book out? What's it name?

Man, I've been missing out on the news around here.

"God is Dead" - Nietzsche icon_smile_angry.gif

"Nietzsche is Dead" - God icon_smile_cool.gif

It's a very good book that everyone that is interested in jeans should have. It is an easy read and the information is easy to pick up without going back very often and it has many nice pictures, I like vintage cuts much more since buying this book and I'm going to get a denim jacket because of it!

It's very cheap too! Can't recommend it enough!

http://repeattofade.blogspot.com/

Edited by horriblyjollyjinx on Jun 13, 2006 at 07:52 AM