what got you to premium denim??

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy, after wearing out two pairs of Levi's 501s (this was in 1991-1993!), I was introduced to "better?#@%?" jeans like benetton and replay. Little did I know that I was being sucked in to the fad of jeans being ubercool. I always thought Levi's IS the denim pair to have. But like a dog waiting for you to make notice of them, I felt they will be there while I veer away from what was "in". I was taken to school again after joining this forum. No regrets. At least I'm back to the roots except that I'm now rockin' repros...which is supposed to be better. Right?

Quote:

::deep sigh::

oooookay... when i go through old pictures i either end up horribly depressed or severely depressed.

i'll do it for the betterment of the forum

--- Original message by denimdestroyedmylife on Jun 7, 2006 10:15 AM

then just send me the photos and ill scan them for you. i dont want to get you down.

shit...

Hello all,

I came across premium denim, and inevitably the SF SD thread, after the finding of the 1890s Levi's a couple years back.

It certainly touched me in some way. I think i became aware of my "ignorance" of just wearing my 501s without ever passing a thought to the REAL history behind Levi's and denim jeans in general, and the fact that i get chills down my spine when i think about all the work and craftmansship that goes into a pair of really good jeans. icon_smile.gif

Being a student, I'm looking for quality on a budget.. I was looking for a quality jeans that 1) looked good 2) had a good fit 3) could take a lot of abuse 4) would not be too expensive in the long run...

I'm the kind of guy that doesn't want to bother to much with "uhmm.. hmm.. what pants shall i wear today?", so when i discovered the website of nudie jeans the 6-months-no-wash-advice there seemed like my kind of ball game.

When I went to a store to pick up a pair I discovered a brand called Atelier Ladurance and I was convinced about the construction and quality of these jeans even more than the nudie jeans they had in stock (rrds, rrdg and some other dry).. So I bought a pair.. Later that year I bought Nudie RRDS as well and these are the only pairs of jeans/pants i'm wearing..

I don't have to think in the morning what i will wear today, it's stylish, they can take a massive beating.. I don't have to buy 10 pairs a year like my friends, just to be cool.. I love premium denim. I love the way they evolve over time and I love how they remind my how patience is a virtue...

Denim greetings,

manis

The Netherlands

whatever..

Back in 1996, when I was an undergrad, I worked at Diesel in London, on the denim wall at the concession in Selfridges. That gave me an education in denim, and I branched out from Diesel to Evis, Yen etc. I had one of the first pairs of unwashed Kratts when they decided to do a shrink-to-fit fabric, and I still maintain those were one of the best pairs of jeans I ever had. Sadly they disappeared sometime in 1998 when I was on holiday.

These days I flit between a couple of pairs of Levis 201 reissues (the ones with the cloth patch - the leather patch ones never ever faded or loosened up right) and a pair of twisted Yen Jeans.