Indigo Dyeing (natural dyeing in general)

bluesville

Hmm... Correct me if I'm wrong because the only knowledge i have about dyeing was from reading the home-made jeans thread, but i think dipping the fabrics in like 2 - 4 times isn't going to cut it.

Because if you were to check out the last few pages of the home-made jeans thread, this dude planning to make a pair of jeans from scratch actually mentioned rope dyeing his cotton yarn in an indigo vet 20-30 times... :confused:

I think the blue dots are actually from the indigo dye that hasn't fully dissolved and are just floating around the barrel. Maybe u would wanna try stirring it more thoroughly.?

Bunga telang or the Clitoria ternatea. Peranakans frequently uses this flower as a form of food colouring for our desserts. It creates a nice indigo-ish shade of blue too..! just thought you might find it interesting. :D

yep, i tried 10 dips on a loomed linen and got a deep blue (not as dark as navy blue). I'll post the pics later, because it's in the delicate hands of my tailor.:P

Thanks for the tips on stirring, i'll make sure if its dissolved fully next time.

I can find some "pussy pea" in my garden :rolleyes:

rather SFW pussy

5542668391_80533dace6.jpg

I've tried dyeing with them but couldn't acquire any color. I just boiled it and used alum mordant. Maybe it needs different technique to extract the color from the flower? I'm not familiar with cooking :P

If it's any help, unripe Mangosteens may have a higher tannin content.

What part of Terminalia Catappa are you using? The fruit or also the bark? Always with an iron mordant?

Have you tried Terminalia Chebula as a dye? It's supposed to be particularly tannin rich.

I like the comparison with Logwood - I guess various members of the Terminalia family were the Logwood of Iran-Africa and right across India-China-Malaysia-Vietnam.

PS. I thought Asam Gelugur was different to Asam Jawa (Tamarind)?

I use the leaves and barks of Terminalia catappa. with Alum mordant, i get yellow to khaki shade on different fabrics.

This chino is actually dyed in mostly Terminalia catappa mixed with some random barks with alum mordant

5431059122_820cd0f187.jpg

About Asama Gelugur, my mistake, it is different to Asam Jawa. I'll have to stroll around the traditional market to find some Gelugur. Definitely will try :D

Well, I cant find any mangosteens tree nearby. I acquire the mangosteens from nearby supermarket. They just disposed some bad or unsold fruits. I met the manager and talked him to ditch some disposed mangosteens in my house, for free:D

mangosteen soup, smells yummy

5526232428_29e856a53a.jpg

tees dipped in mangosteen bath after iron mordant

5539940190_1301270b49.jpg

looks purpley when wet and goes gray when dried

left tee is darker because i give more iron mordant

5539360253_575e369e9d.jpg

So far, here's the result of latest experiment on Tees and shirt, from left to right:

4x Indigo + 1x mixed woods L/S shirt

2x Indigo

1x Terminalia catappa

1x Mangosteen

5543609118_55fa8931ce.jpg

Nice to see the 'pussy pea' making an appearance ;)

Glad i could help with your whiskers fade. Haha.! :P

yep, i tried 10 dips on a loomed linen and got a deep blue (not as dark as navy blue). I'll post the pics later, because it's in the delicate hands of my tailor.:P

Thanks for the tips on stirring, i'll make sure if its dissolved fully next time.

I can find some "pussy pea" in my garden :rolleyes:

rather SFW pussy

5542668391_d328d54303.jpg

I've tried dyeing with them but couldn't acquire any color. I just boiled it and used alum mordant. Maybe it needs different technique to extract the color from the flower? I'm not familiar with cooking :P

Well, i'm pretty sure the pussy peas are dries under the sun for a few days, then boiled to extract the colour. But... It takes about 15 of them to make roughly 4 servings of rice. So for a barrel of water, you're gonna need a whole lot more pussies. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone know, on average, the price difference between natural and synthetic indigo (per ounce)?

im not really sure about the price, perhaps cheaper than natural one?

sorry for lack of updates, we've been busy experimenting and producing our first product.

latest experiment, we tried overdyeing indigo tees with Terminalia belerica, and obtained green shade. quite interesting.

5597648882_3828003f5b.jpg

the mottling waas from formerly uneven indigo dyeing.

We also try hand written batik to put our logo on the tees. It's basically writing or drawing on fabrics with wax to block the color in dyeing process

5597634186_fc5a82c684.jpg

after indigo bath

5597634656_9abe84ce7c.jpg

We're not sure if the size of the tees will remain the same when the wax is removed. One method to remove the wax is soaking in hot water to melt it, maybe there woulb be some shrinkage

We just got a new sample of indigo from another source and took some pics of it in paste form.

new stuffs came from Central Java

5606673618_2094beb837.jpg

Just like our previous post, we try to experiment with one of Indonesia's traditional art form "batik tulis". The main ingredient for writing batik in a fabric is some sort of beeswax, which is in solid form originally, then we must warm them with a bit of fire and the wax turns into liquid which then can be use in a fabric.

warming the wax

5606675260_4d57b45af9.jpg

writing process in a cotton tee, the wax will block the dye substance in that particular area, so the writings will remain white after dyeing

5606092885_ce3f5af5d0.jpg

some experimented tee with 20 indigo deep and a wood bath to finalize it. Now it has a bit of greencaste on it

5606094451_7bde58ccc4.jpg

This one is a (selvage?) linen dyed in a reddish tint tree bark and the outcome is a beautiful soft pinkish color

5606095761_b8f20ab0f9.jpg

another experiment includes 10-15 indigo dip with 2 times wood bath at the end, the result is a blueish green shade which I rarely seen used in a fabric. I personally really like this result

5606097549_3d510639a2.jpg

• 3 months later...

^ you can try Seiwa Konya-i from Japan Blue. The price is a bit steep but it is a very good 10g of natural indigo powder.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/yanagiya/rsf18458/

the instructions is in Japanese, but basically you should add the powder into a bowl of water and add the reducing agents (in this case a hydro sulfide) and voila, the vat is ready to use.

I never tried this, but this seems to be a good indigo kit as well http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/6991799-AA.shtml

• 4 weeks later...

we've been busy experimenting with new sources of dye and techniques. We also planning to try some hand weaving.;)

One of our new source of dyes is Mengkudu or Morinda Citrifolia. We use the bark of the roots. This plant usually produce pink to brick red shade.

6052472218_12aa31cf79.jpg

we choose the small barks, the bigger ones have less pigment

6052459512_3831950145.jpg

the barks is chopped to little pieces and then crushed

6051922061_edf2b962d7.jpg

And after a few a hours simmering, heres the morinda juice, smells good :D

6052485674_06ba1f016a.jpg

We soak some yarn in the dye pot, and different shade is acquired from different soak time. The yarn was mordanted with Alum before soaking.

Here they are

6041328651_df54d66912.jpg

left to right: Indigo-persimmon-Morinda

Yarn dyeing in indigo is not as easy as we thought. The result is streaky and uneven, where the inside of the roll have lighter shade. We still have to improve our technique.

6041876344_2a1b203aca.jpg

6041329733_cf7f186f91.jpg

The yarn is oxidizing

6041875692_24608a4241.jpg

All of the yarn will be hand woven in this old machine. The fabrics in the pic is not ours btw :P

6040992531_5cd1a28b30.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't sure where to put this, but anyway.

A new book came out called "Indigo- Egyptian Mummies To Blue Jeans". I've got a few books on indigo and this is certainly the best reference/history book and seems to have loads of interesting stuff about indigo through the ages. It isn't a 'how to', for that I'd recommend "Indigo- From Seed To Dye" but it's a great book. (FWIW I'm nothing to do with it, though I would recommend it to anyone interested in indigo)

Below is just a small except which relates to this interesting discussion

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=1665703&postcount=46

2jdryty.jpg