Levi's LVC 1947 deadstock #555 or R

The denim should be identical.

Many people prefer the idea of ther early 555 ones, as they're made in the old LEvi's factory at valencia, whereas the later R ones are contracted out to a non-Levi's factory. The non-Levi's-made LVC have had problems, but nothing I've heard of with the '47s. As far as the denim goes, that for the 47s is all made by Cone, to the same spec, and there should be no difference at all .

Paul I have a good friend that told me the current 47s are not as heavy as the older ones. Levis even states that they are 10 oz. I know that you said you thought it was a type o but after hearing what my my buddy said and he has allot of LVC stuff it makes me wonder.

Raw, if you can find a pair of 555s that should be your choice. Its kinda funny cause the 47s are my least favorite LVCs and folks over here seem to like'm best.

Honestly, Allen, I speak to a lot of people from Levi's and they're often very frank about the fuckups on new LVC, but one thing I've been told is that the denim is pretty much unchanged. The new 47s are absolutely, definitely not 10oz! I have a pair from the spring range and I'm certain they're still 12.5 oz.

Of course you're right, if you can get the 555 ones for much the same price they're much nicer jeans to have.

I'm the other way, over the last 8 years I really got into the wider cinchback jeans and didn't like the 47s - for the last few years I've got right bacm into the cut, they're my favourite, so I sold quite a few of my 555 1933s etc. My only complaint with the 47 denim is that it's a bit brittle if you wear them after only a quick-ish soak.

Paul thanks. Kinda nice to have someone here to clear up the hear say. I haven't seen any of the new 47s. Mine are real nice but I also prefer the 37 & 20s 201s. I also have a really nice pair of 37 501s. The 37 501s seem to have faded much faster than my 37 201s. I'm anxious to see the new deadstock/raw 33s. I think from what I've read the new ones are heavier than my 33s which are 10 oz. I also really like my 1901s too. Nice loose fit, VERY COMFY....

I bleieve you will end up with an inch of shrinkage at the waist, so 32 inches should be ok. BUT a lot of 47s are made undersize- my 34W actually measured 33W, and have shrunk down to around 32. So whoever you're buying from, email to ask the measured size, not just the nominal size. If it measures 32 you should be ok, otherwise look for 34s that, like mine, measured 33 first off.

Yes, all those ebay pairs look ok to me...

It's not that one is better than the other, they're just a different look. The 1947 is a vintage-style jean, with a reasonably high rise, but in quite a contemporary-looking, slim cut. For a vintage style it looks quite contmporary. The Straigt Sven is lower-rise, and is a more modern-looking jean. But for a contemporary style it looks quite classic!

Take a look thru the photos here, there are loads of them, and decide which looks works best for you. We can't tell you!