San Francisco

zimzima911

check Craigslist for apartments, for places to shop, eat, hang out, check yelp.com, cool site IMO.

San Francisco is beautiful. I've unfortunately never had the pleasure of living right in it, but I've lived right outside it for the majority of my life.

My sister lived in an apartment in the Mission for a few years. The Mission is a good neighborhood; it combines Mexican barrio with California-San Francisco flavor. Some parts of the mission are a little sketchy (esp. as you get closer to Mission, the street, itself) but the area where my sister lived (on 14th Ave at Valencia I think -- right next to the Safeway) was a great little spot with tons of good restaurants and cafes within walking distance.

If I could live anywhere in San Francisco it'd probably be in Hayes Valley. I love Hayes Valley. It's hip, trendy, and quaint all at the same time.

The closer you get to the ocean (ie the Sunset and Richmond districts) the scenery becomes less "city" and more "rows and rows of houses". Not that this is a bad thing, just a different flavor. Just make sure you're near a MUNI stop if you're living somewhere there.

Eating.. I don't know where to begin.. there are so many fantastic restaurants in San Francisco it would take me hours to list them all. Actually, here's a place to start: go to the Ferry Building, at the Embarcadero, on a weekend or on a sunny day. Eat. Drink. Be merry. Everything in the Ferry Building is beyond top-notch.... it's unbelievable.

Shopping... Haight Street has some decent spots (along with Amoeba Records).. there's Rolo on Market on the edge of the Castro (much better than SoMa Rolo, imo)... Huf on Sutter if you want hip-hop streetwear and shoes, and Huf on Hayes if you want more shoes... Recon/Nort in North Beach if you want even more shoes (especially Nikes) and some nice streetwear stuff... couple spots in Hayes Valley for very nice designer clothing (think Margiela, Helmut Lang styles, but not limited to those brands).. and there's Union Square for touristy shopping.

I MISS SAN FRANCISCO!!!

it depends on what kind of atmosphere you want, and how much you want to pay for it.

the mission is really cool, great mexican food, pretty good shopping and a good bar scene, however once the sun goes down the sketch factor does tend to go up.

the marina district is nothing but class. a friend of mine just got an apartment there and it's pretty cool, but the people that hang around there tend to have a lot of disposable income and are approaching middle age.

personally, i like haigt st. the most. i go to usf, so i have a bit of a bias, but the housing isn't too expensive, the shopping's good, nice variety of eateries, lacks a little in the bar scene, but going running through golden gate park in the spring is great. fortunately the homeless population isn't quite what it used to be too.

a great venue for up and coming acts is Bottom of the Hill (http://www.bottomofthehill.com/). pretty much a whos who of big name indie acts from the past decade have come through there. also, www.landmarktheaters.com is a good place to find out what foreign and independent movies are coming through the city.

you really can't go wrong so long as you stay out of the tenderloin and south san francisco. it's a great city and enjoy the time there.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no effect on society."

~Mark Twain

I grew up in San Francisco all my life, so here is my input on it.

Craigslist is the best place to go to look for housing in San Francisco. Districts such as the Sunset and Richmond are more neighbourhoody and 1 bedroom apartments in this area run for about $1200 on average. Because these neighbourhoods are so close to the beach, it can be generally foggy whereas other districts such as the Mission and Hayes Valley are bright and sunny. I've noticed though that the Mission now is filled with "expats" and very few people I know who are actually brought up in the Mission live in the community. Depending on what your job is, the Mission can be convenient or inconvenient. The most convenient bus line in San Francisco are the street cars as well as the 38 Geary, which runs from one side of the city to the other.

Parking is somewhat not needed in San Francisco, but the bus lines can be really shitty. Choose where you live by where you work. You will be happy about that choice!

My favourite hangouts in the city are none. Personally I think Haight St is passable and I do all of my shopping at American Rag. I'm not sure what your style is, but Haight St has a lot of street wear brands and things of that such. Hayes Valley as well as Filmore carry a few boutiques that are great.

For food; I think I can name a few spots that almost most San Francisicans eat at -

1. Park Chow in the Sunset, or Chow in the Castro.

2. Burma Superstar in the Richmond.

3. San Tung in the Sunset.

4. Tanpopo/Mifune in Japantown.

5. Nann and Curry in Sunset/Downtown.

The best music venues in the city are at either Poleng (former Social Club) and Pink. It really depends on what promoters are throwing the party.

Hope this helps1

it really depends on what you're looking for.

you should be more specific on the type of neighborhood/spots you want. the outer sunset is totally different from lower haight which is nothing like south beach/mission bay.

for more info do a search on supertalk. i know there have been a few posts about san francisco living in the past few months. englandmj7's comes to mind (england - how's that goin anyways?)

and as for poleng, you should all check that out. we just remodeled and openned up two weekends ago. we got a good summer line up of parties and the restaurant/tea lounge should be open soon too. check the sig.

*sucka free since '00*

www.massiveselector.com

*coming soon*

www.polenglounge.com

Quote:

It is going great Daryl, thanks for asking; I am hopefully going to be moving into the city in the next month or so....the suburbs get pretty boring. And thanks again for your help.

--- Original message by englandmj7 on Jun 7, 2006 11:50 AM

let me be your roommate in a year

icon_smile_approve.gif

Guest Airjamie

I lived in hayward for a couple years but was too young to remember anything about it, most of my life was spent in LA. However, I'm going to be in the city on business for a couple of days next month. What are some good shops/bars/restaurants withing walking distance of the wharf? Ill be staying on Van Ness near ghirardelli. Anybody up to have a couple of beers or something?

I am the black wizards.

there is absolutely nothing around there. what i mean from absolutely nothing is that the whole place is a tourist trap. but since you haven't experience it in awhile, i don't see anything wrong with paying for some fresh crab and shrimp cocktail.

along van ness you'll pass some ritzy districts. i don't have any complaints on those but everything else that was mentioned on this forum is quite a bit away.